What's new

Beach Detecting is the Hot New Trend

Terry Soloman

Platinum Member
🥇 Charter Member
Joined
May 28, 2010
Messages
21,755
Reaction score
35,428
Golden Thread
1
Location
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I did an interview yesterday with Julie Stewart, an editor for Men’s Health magazine. She is doing a story on beach metal detecting for the June issue. Apparently our hobby is becoming “hot,” as 10,000 of us “Baby Boomers” are retiring every day. :skullflag:
 
Upvote 0
"10,000 of us “Baby Boomers” are retiring every day" Praise God for that, I get so tired of outdated manuals and working with people that refuse new things.
 
LinkHylian: God has nothing to do with it!
Retirement is the governments way of letting us know that we are no longer of use and a liability.
While Death is natures way of letting one know that one has been fired!
 
Last edited:
yup, it's very very smart to promote our hobby, I mean we all want more and more hunters worldwide, right ?
 
Apparently our hobby is becoming “hot,”
Probability the reason ML raised the price on the excalibur, too weedout the rookies. Thank You Minelabs...
 
yup, it's very very smart to promote our hobby, I mean we all want more and more hunters worldwide, right ?

Although we tried, we couldn't stop you from breaking into the hobby either. :thumbsup: I wouldn't worry too much about the article Acquisitor, unlike the folks that watch Randy Savage each week, folks that see the article will have to know how to read to see what I said. :occasion14:
 
"10,000 of us “Baby Boomers” are retiring every day" Praise God for that, I get so tired of outdated manuals and working with people that refuse new things.

You will have to pry my Blackberry out of my old, cold, dead hand you young whippersnapper! :laughing7:
 
There is a business opportunity there!! Selling Metal Detecting Dictionaries! These trendy newcomers need to do more than just walk the walk. They need to be able to talk the talk! I mean we wouldn't want them to confuse their Nectar Sectors with their Juice Pockets. How embarrassing would that be? Just for the good of the hobby, we have a reputation to protect!
 
Minelab is for Minelab.
Their focus, as every other manufacturer, is on the bottom line (that which gives them the most profit).
That is the reason, they are heavily promoting sales of the CTX-3030.
My concern is that they will continue to support the Excalibur, and am willing to pay the increased cost(s) for it. Most rookies (except for myself) start out with entry level detectors to get a feel for the hobby. I took a different approach as I am old to treasure hunting but new to metal detecting.
 
Acquisitor:, if it were not for the challenging economies worldwide it would be a wash.
Yes there would be more hunters but there would also be more depositors (those who loose valuable items). I would be more concerned about where I hunt (local) and where I may be hunting in the future.
 
I live for fishing and metal detecting (all detecting)....just love, love, love it! You can throw in camping also!
 
Here is a portion of Terry's interview:
"Metal detecting, for retirees? Are you kidding! The hobby sucks! Far too lobar intensive for retired folks. Especially in and around Congress Arizona and White Plains New York. I wouldn't waist my time even considering it, especially in and around these two states." :laughing7:
 
The real story here is that 95% of those who buy metal detectors expect to hit the beach like they are going to a Jewelry story. When they come up empty handed a few times, with only pennies to show for a few hours swinging and their arm is about to fall off becauses they are out of shape, they will give it up since it is too much like hard work and sell their metal detector. In about a year or two, look for the market to be flooded with used detectors of all levels of sophistication. HH, Papa
 
The real story here is that 95% of those who buy metal detectors expect to hit the beach like they are going to a Jewelry story. When they come up empty handed a few times, with only pennies to show for a few hours swinging and their arm is about to fall off becauses they are out of shape, they will give it up since it is too much like hard work and sell their metal detector. In about a year or two, look for the market to be flooded with used detectors of all levels of sophistication. HH, Papa

after seeing my finds for years - about 10 guys got into the hobby and bought machines where I work
not a one has stuck with it - they all thought it was so easy to find the gold
 
Folks,

Great thread......personally I think most of the long time detectorists including me have a few screws loose....lol....

I do almost exclusively green space detecting, parks, etc.....a chap came up to me last summer and asked if it was worthwhile......I laughed and said well between clad and some silver and gold jewelry I probably found about $1000 dollars of value....he was impressed until I told him that was about 500 hours of detecting.

I said would you work this hard for $2.00 an hour....you're better off being a greeter at Wally World....

Regards + HH

Bill
 
Folks,

Great thread......personally I think most of the long time detectorists including me have a few screws loose....lol....

I do almost exclusively green space detecting, parks, etc.....a chap came up to me last summer and asked if it was worthwhile......I laughed and said well between clad and some silver and gold jewelry I probably found about $1000 dollars of value....he was impressed until I told him that was about 500 hours of detecting.

I said would you work this hard for $2.00 an hour....you're better off being a greeter at Wally World....

Regards + HH

Bill

My wife definately thinks I have a few screws loose. She tried it once for 15 minutes and retreated to the beach chair and magazine. When I came back, she said I had to be nuts to work that hard for a few cents per hour. LOL I love every minute of it. HH to all you other crazy people out there. Beach Papa
 
The hobby sucks! Far too lobar intensive for retired folks." :laughing7:

I think you meant "Far too lumbar intensive" for us retired folks with aching backs.
(And if you didn't, then I did. But I keep MD-ing anyway.)

--Tom
 
Keepem on the beachs and leave the old coin locations up to us young bucks
 
Hahaha that got me cracking up really good:). Apparently they are making a comeback, so you might get away from me this time lol.
You will have to pry my Blackberry out of my old, cold, dead hand you young whippersnapper! :laughing7:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom