What's new

Beach Find

Hal2k

Sr. Member
Joined
Dec 9, 2016
Messages
294
Reaction score
957
Golden Thread
0
Location
Blountsville, Al
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett AT Max, Garrett AT Pro, with stock coil
AT PRO Pointer, NEL Storm coil, Garrett 5 X 8 coil, 9 X 12 Garrett concentric coil, Nel 6.5 x 9 coil for the Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Found what appears to be a Spanish Coin, found on the Beach at Destin Florida, this week. On one side is a cross and on the opposite side are some markings but too hard to make out, Destin is about 60 miles west of Panama City. I know it’s a stretch and maybe I'm hoping it's some valuable old coin but could hurricane Michael, disturbed a sunken ship of the coast of Destin although Destin did not get any major damage? The coin if that what it is weighs 17.05 grams and appears to be gold. I know like I said maybe grabbing for the stars but at least I can dream for a minute. By the way it does not appear to be a pendent. Also coin is about mid way between a US Quater and a half dollar.


IMG_1677.webpIMG_1678.webp
 
Interesting I don't know enough about weights to chime in but it looks good to me
 
Upvote 0
My guess is that it is a copy of a Spanish cob, tons of them are sold to tourists on the beach in Florida, it is probably supposed to be a gold 4 escudos. It looks to be made out of brass, and probably an older copy from the 1960's or 1970's, which explains the corrosion it has. A real gold escudo found in the ocean should have almost no damage or corrosion, and a real silver cob should be pretty well encrusted at this point, and not be gold colored. I hope I am wrong though, and it is the real deal.
 
Last edited:
Upvote 0
The condition tells me that it's a fake but still it's a cool find!!
 
Upvote 0
My guess is that it is a copy of a Spanish cob, tons of them are sold to tourists on the beach in Florida, it is probably supposed to be a gold 4 escudos. It looks to be made out of brass, and probably an older copy from the 1960's or 1970's, which explains the corrosion it has. A real gold escudo found in the ocean should have almost no damage or corrosion, and a real silver cob should be pretty well encrusted at this point, and not be gold colored. I hope I am wrong though, and it is the real deal.


I agree I think it could be a fake but I'm holding out hope it is not. I did cut a very small area on the edge and what every it's made of is very soft and has a bright gold color in the small cut I made when look at through a jewelry’s loop. I would expect if it is lead or some other base metal it would not cut so easly and have a gold color. I plan on having it tested. It does have more of a gold color when viewed in real life and not thorough phone camera.
 
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Another cob, fake cant be. I will hunt the person down who made that and take them down!!!!!! Dude that's going to be real !!!!!Don't even say the word fake!!!!!!!!!!!!
 
Upvote 0
Ley us know how it tests? I am curious :)
 
Upvote 0
Waiting my Friend?????
 
Upvote 0
If its real Ill go coastal Lol
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom