What's new

Beach finds (scratch one off the life list)

MrBling

Sr. Member
Joined
Aug 12, 2008
Messages
356
Reaction score
1
Golden Thread
0
Location
North Florida
Detector(s) used
White's Surfmaster PI/Garrett Ace 250
Hit the beach for a few hours yesterday hoping for a nice jewelry score, but it was not to be. Did find over 8 bucks in change and a silver/CZ earring:

may5 findsresized.webp

The most interesting find was my first $1 presidential coin:

may5prescoinresized.webp

When I saw it in the hole I thought from its goldish color that it was an arcade token. That's strangely appropriate because it is a "Martin Van Buren", who was president during the Panic of 1837 at which time many of the "Hard Times Tokens" were produced.
Other notable facts about Martin Van Buren:

He was the first president who was born an American citizen- all previous ones were born before the Revolution
He was the first president who ancestral origin was not in the British Isles- his family was Dutch
He was the only president whose first language was not English - his family spoke Dutch at home
He is the only person other than Thomas Jefferson to serve as Sec'y of State, VP and President
He was a believer in limited government and an elegant dresser

On my way home, I stopped at a tot lot for a little while and found a penny cache buried in the shredded tire mulch:
may5pgcacheresized.webp

Sorry, kid. Hehe. :icon_pirat:
 
Upvote 0
Very nice clad is battery money!
 
Sweet stuff! Cant wait to get out to florida sometime to hit the beach! Great claddage!

JJ
(Newbie)
 
Looks like a fun day for sure, congrats.
 
Love those Presidential dollars! I always think they are a token as well, then bam.......Cha ching! I have found 4 or 5 so far. They are fun!

HH,
Moon
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom