What's new

Beach Glass Windcatchers

Digger54

Hero Member
🥇 Charter Member
Joined
Dec 6, 2010
Messages
659
Reaction score
886
Golden Thread
0
Location
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, Bandido II, Sovereign GT, Fisher1280X, Nautilus DMCIIB, Deus2, Manticore.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
NFS. Thought I would share pics of some Windcatchers I made. My wife calls me Trash Boy:laughing7: because I am always collecting driftwood, beach glass, and glass shards from farm fields. Finally got around to doing something with what I brought home. All the glass is obviously older stuff as seen by colors and thickness. Between collecting, tumbling, drilling, and wiring (stainless wire) it is very labor intensive so selling it is not feasible.
 

Attachments

  • chimethree.webp
    chimethree.webp
    870.2 KB · Views: 102
I have a few buckets of broken glass and pottery, those turned out really nice!!!
Thanks! I was thinking of doing one with Indian Pottery shards, maybe even some wire wrapped broken points too. I'm sure the pottery would be a lot easier to drill then the glass was.

Here is that purple wind catcher under a 365 NM UV Flashlight...
 

Attachments

  • chimelight.webp
    chimelight.webp
    367.1 KB · Views: 54
Wow that uranium glass one is stunning.
It's not Uranium glass. It is the purple glass you see at the top of the post. The glass contains Manganese which caused it to turn purple. I am shining a 365NM UV light on it. Fun fact. Manganese will not glow under 395 NM UV, only under 365NM UV. Uranium glass will glow under both 365 and 395.
 
I just recently found out about the manganese glowing, so I checked some of my collection with a 395 mn light. The manganese glows a more lemon-lime vs the uranium glass glowing a much brighter neon green. I don't have pictures, but I did find some 1940-1950's milk bottles that glow cadmium orange in the thicker portions of the base & rim. Almost everything clear glass pre-1910ish had at least a little glow.
 

Attachments

  • 20260528_195909.webp
    20260528_195909.webp
    310.3 KB · Views: 36
i understand! I collect boards from the beach and make furniture inlaid with broken pottery that I also find.... labor intensive, to expensive to sell, so instead I give them away to folk that deserve that kind of thought and attention. I have no need nor space for anything for myself, (I have enough to be sure), but I enjoy making the stuff, so I keep doing it.
 
i understand! I collect boards from the beach and make furniture inlaid with broken pottery that I also find.... labor intensive, to expensive to sell, so instead I give them away to folk that deserve that kind of thought and attention. I have no need nor space for anything for myself, (I have enough to be sure), but I enjoy making the stuff, so I keep doing it.
Unclemac you are a considerate person to do that for others !THANKYOU !
 
i understand! I collect boards from the beach and make furniture inlaid with broken pottery that I also find.... labor intensive, to expensive to sell, so instead I give them away to folk that deserve that kind of thought and attention. I have no need nor space for anything for myself, (I have enough to be sure), but I enjoy making the stuff, so I keep doing it.
Would love to see some of your work. Please post them here!
 
WOW Digger, those wind chimes are beautiful. But no, if making them and selling them to make a living, wouldn't be economically feasible. But making and selling them as a hobby, could put a few bucks in your pocket. What you have there is an art form or craft, which demands more money for hand crafted art which no one is the same.

I built wooden ship models and sold and shipped them all over the U.S. and several other countries. I didn't make a living at it, I averaged about $1.50 and hour for my time unless it was a commission piece then it would jump to $5.00 an hour. But it was only a hobby. I have built well over 100 tall wooden sailing ships as well as Radio controlled boats. I loved to build them, but my wife said if I start another build, another one must go.
 
Would love to see some of your work. Please post them here!
The top is a painted board from the beach, including the orange edges.... the hearts are just broken bits of pottery from the beach... the sides are old hand beaten burnished copper flashing... the reverse glass painting is done on an old glass door from a restaurant remodel... the box itself is repurposed wood from the same remodel, and old restaurant that was/is the only spot in a beach town on the WA coast.
1780953853848.webp
1780953888298.webp
 
.... I made it for a friend that wanted a shelf.... so I made the shelf, and then something to go under it...
 
WOW Digger, those wind chimes are beautiful. But no, if making them and selling them to make a living, wouldn't be economically feasible. But making and selling them as a hobby, could put a few bucks in your pocket. What you have there is an art form or craft, which demands more money for hand crafted art which no one is the same.

I built wooden ship models and sold and shipped them all over the U.S. and several other countries. I didn't make a living at it, I averaged about $1.50 and hour for my time unless it was a commission piece then it would jump to $5.00 an hour. But it was only a hobby. I have built well over 100 tall wooden sailing ships as well as Radio controlled boats. I loved to build them, but my wife said if I start another build, another one must go.
I feel your pain! no room!!!
 
The top is a painted board from the beach, including the orange edges.... the hearts are just broken bits of pottery from the beach... the sides are old hand beaten burnished copper flashing... the reverse glass painting is done on an old glass door from a restaurant remodel... the box itself is repurposed wood from the same remodel, and old restaurant that was/is the only spot in a beach town on the WA coast.
View attachment 2256172View attachment 2256173
That is awesome! What is spectacular about it is how you incorporate beach drift into it in such an eye pleasing manner! I walk the beach a fair amount looking for Serendipity but mostly see and sometimes take home regular lumber especially since it is salt cured. The only thing I found otherwise was what I thought looked like a rudder to an old wooden whaling boat. Turned out I was looking at it wrong and it was an armrest to a wooden beach chair. :laughing7:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom