What's new

Beach hunt and a fossil in my scoop

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Joined
Mar 17, 2008
Messages
7,452
Reaction score
93
Golden Thread
0
Location
Chicago IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was waist deep water on a Chicago beach today and not finding anything but trash and got another bottle cap signal so when I brought the scoop up I found this fossil (oh and the beer cap too LOL) Any idea what its from or how old it might be. Is solid and like a black rock so its totally fossilized. I can't remember ever hearing of fossils being found on Chicago beaches but then fossils have to be everywhere right?
Thanks for looking and any info would be awesome, HH everybody.

 
The first thing I should say is I really have zero experience in your area but when I look at that piece what it reminded me of was the pectoral fin of a fish.
 
I think it is a catfish pectoral spine. From a Chicago beach, it is not likely to be a fossil in the general sense of the term, but it is an interesting piece for your 'miscellaneous' collection.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom