Beach hunt

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Actually this hunt took place a couple of weeks ago, but I just got a high dollar camera to photograph my finds, and these are some of the first photos. Myself and a friend drove over to the Oregon coast, a little more than an hours drive to sand dunes located to the south of the mouth of the Umpqua river. This is a very large area owned by the county, and hundreds of people camp and drive all sorts of sand buggies and atv's over there during the summer. You gotta know there is all sorts of lost stuff in those dunes and along the beach. Umpqua Dunes 1.jpg
The mouth of the river is at the top of the photo and we hunted the area between the X's, camp sites and staging areas. That's a huge area, and we didn't hunt it all, just skipped around checking different spots out. What we found out was in the evening those guys build huge fires, and sit around them telling lies and drinking beer. Then they throw the cans in the fire, and the aluminum melts down. Then later sometime people blow through the area where the fire was on their atv's, blowing, or perhaps blasting is a better word, the aluminum nuggets everywhere. To me it's a very discouraging place to hunt, my dfx was getting continuous hits, and of course we were looking for gold rings, so the nuggets couldn't be rejected without loosing the gold. We did find some clad in the camp sites, alone with pop tops and bottle caps. I don't know how the photos will down load, but they will all be together. So the first one is what the can slaw looks like, the quarter is for size. Then there will be several photos of a small brass or bronze stingray I found. This one must have some age on it, because everything now days is plastic, and my best guess would be the stingray was sold in a tourist trap years ago, and lost by a kid playing with it, and probably has nothing to do with the atv park even though that's where it was found. The last photo is a spoon and a pair of pliers I found. everyone has seen clad so no photos of that, but we found a little clad and my friend found a dog whistle, one of those high pitched silent whistles. I spent about $70 worth of gas going and coming, and blew a tire driving off the road in the sand in one spot, so all together that little bit of brass stingray is worth quite a lot of money to me.

Attachments

• can slaw A.jpg
    can slaw A.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 125
  • sting ray 1A.jpg
    sting ray 1A.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 133
  • sting ray 2B.jpg
    sting ray 2B.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 119
  • sting ray 3C.jpg
    sting ray 3C.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 117
  • toolsA.jpg
    toolsA.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 117
Upvote 3

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions