What's new

Beach Hunting

grasshopper

Bronze Member
Joined
Aug 13, 2007
Messages
1,930
Reaction score
3,152
Golden Thread
1
Location
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have never hunted on a beach before, and will be in Naples, Florida this entire next week. I would love to get some detecting in and see what I can find. I have one question, though. My relatives tell me that the people detecting on the Florida beaches are very "territorial." I've been told that everyone gets up very early and has a certain area that they always detect at. Is this true? I don't want to be there as a tourist and get a fellow detectorist angry for hunting in his "territory." :D Not trying to sound mean here, but I'm just wondering.

Thanks
 
Most MDers I've met at the beaches on the Treasure Coast side have been very friendly; I'm sure the Gulf side would be no different. In most cases they will stop to chat, but a few will just go on about their business. You will find the beaches enormous in size, allowing most anyone a place to hunt. If you see someone MDing, find another spot at a distance; you'll be fine :thumbsup:
 
Territorial you ask? Absolutely! and most times we are armed and we don't fire warning shots!

I'm just messing with you (or am I ?)

When you get to Florida just buy yourself a Florida Gators or Tampa Bay Buccaneers hat or t-shirt or both and you'll be all set.

If you wave at or try to chat with a fellow THer and they ignore you, don't take it personal, they have been out in the sun too long. Most of us don't mind stopping and chatting for a minute or two (at least I don't, and I'm not real chatty)

Good luck
 
If they don't own the property then they have no say. This is America, public land is just as much yours as it is theirs. As for me though, I tend to find that a lot of people that comb the beaches tend to be older than myself and I am 6'1 235 and have about 35 tattoos, so a lot of people just look at me funny :D

I've never had a problem, but if they give you one tell them to eff off. If it turns physical then either fight back or get the police involved, but don't let them push you around.
 
I've been working the beaches of Florida for 25 years and have never seen another detectorist have problems, for the most part this is a friendly hobby......
 
I welcome others to come to Florida and comb those beaches! There is plenty of room for everyone and if somebody gives you the cold shoulder or worse, that's their problem! Good luck to you in Florida! :thumbsup:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom