Beach Renourishment Battle- Florida

itmaiden

Sep 28, 2005
There is an ongoing judicial argument between Atlantic Coast property owners in Florida and the state over beach renourishment.
The state of course wants to come in and dump their sand on the beach. Currently, the property owners in the questioned areas own the beach up to the watermark. Once renourished, the beach becomes a "public beach".

Here is an article on the argument:

http://www.news-press.com/article/2...pposition-to-beach-renourishment-hurts-public

itmaiden

capt dom

Nov 9, 2006
Jupiter, Florida USA
There is no such word as renourishment ... Related to beaches.
The right word is nourishment. :read2:

Herein lay a big part of the problem.... :tongue3:
Most people who write about it.... ???
expound upon it.... :o

Have little or no understanding of the whole littoral process.

Moving sand in the near shore environment is big business.
The only projects that move forward have the right lobbyists...
The rest is smoke and mirrors... :lurk:
Make no mistake.... Media types and the lobby are baffling everyone with
bullshit..... go head and bleep this.... I don't give a crap....

billinstuart

Oct 17, 2004
stuart..the treasure coast..well, used to be
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur with a WOT!
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
The practice of pumping CRAP from the ocean floor can hardly be called anything beneficial. There is a distinct difference between true beach material and the dirt they place on our once pristine beaches. Wonder why a "renourished" beach is steep and spongy? It's because the material is grossly incompatible. Wonder why the surf zone is so cloudy? It's the organic fines that wash out of the crap on the beach.

On the east coast, Indian River county is the poster child for beach privacy issues. Oh, you can walk on the beach ok...there's just no public accesses to it!

bucketofguts

Jul 2, 2007
N.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT and Garrett Seahunter mark 2. Treasure Mate pinpointerer
where on the treasure coast has not been nourished? i think i read where a whole living reef was covered with dredged with sand which i think is a ................ i will hold my :tongue3. >:(

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
However in Destin, six beachfront owners argued that the old rule should apply to the new beach, giving them ownership down to the new high water mark. If the government insists that the new beach be public, then the private owners should be compensated for loss of what they consider their property.

Let me see - the public pays for a project that extends the private shoreline (that privately wouldn't happen), and then the private owners want the new property as well (for free) or (taxpayer) money? The "loss of what they consider their property" is actually a gain in shoreline, not to mention increased storm protection.

I'm having some trouble with this. :icon_scratch:

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
I have a problem with private landowners. They want to keep their views pristine without sharing the beach with the public. Well, their property extends to the waterline in this instance. I would be out there everyday hunting in the water with a peach gauze see-thru thong being sure to squat and bend over every chance I get just to "obstruct" their pristine view.

billinstuart

Oct 17, 2004
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Bucket, just about all of the accessible beaches on the once beautiful treasure coast have been destroyed. In Martin County, the "coastal engineer" (sic) who oversaw the destruction of our beaches has retired!!! Hooray!

Sapper23

Aug 22, 2007
FL
Detector(s) used
Explor II, seamk
Get ready,, So called " Renourished " starts next fall sometime: North of the Saint Augustine Inlet,
and south of Matanzas Inlet

C

Cappy Z.

Sapper23 said:
Get ready,, So called " Renourished " starts next fall sometime: North of the Saint Augustine Inlet,
Part of the French Fleet shipwrecked just south of Matanza Inlet...I better get my thixotropic device well oiled asap and head over there...
8)

billinstuart

Oct 17, 2004
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Matanzas, the last natural inlet on the east coast. Erosion on the south is not as severe as most other south sides of stabilized inlets, even tho old A1A is washed out after 75 years. The sand actually moves south across the mouth of the inlet because the velocity of the water is low, unlike stabilized inlets.

Matanzas should be left in its natural state as an example of mother nature at work. All our "coastal engineers" should be made to study it and see what a real inlet/beach environment is.

billinstuart

Oct 17, 2004
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Good luck Cappy. Get there before it's ruined forever. That stretch is unusual with some exposed coquina/coral reef and steep beaches due to the coquina sand from Anastasia. I hope you get down to the hardpan/reef layer!

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Sapper23 said:

I don't where you heard this news but the permit for the St. Augustine Inlet will be renourishing the beaches south of the inlet. Residents of Villano are moaning and groaning that they want the sand, but the permit does not cover such usage. South of Matanzas, I'm not sure where you heard that, but I doubt they disturb the last natural inlet especially with the NPS having a say. Old A1A is lost anyway. There has been more breeches over the roadway this year. It is a regular occurrence at high tide.

Sapper23

Aug 22, 2007
FL
Detector(s) used
Explor II, seamk
I remember the days, I used to ride my 3 wheeler from the Inlet to Marineland," Spearfishing,
and shark fishing. Mann' the good O' day's.... But ,,, maybe a small storm will wipe it out again!
time will tell

Sapper23

Aug 22, 2007
FL
Detector(s) used
Explor II, seamk
D_D,

The money is already put aside for South of Matanzas. They will place sand starting at the end of old A1A,
where it was washed over,and stop around the space hut "back in the days" party hut" . NPS' got what they wanted.
No more driving on the beach, from the beach ramp south to the Inlet: The only group' who had any say on the Matter'
The Sea turtle's group. but they lost that deal too..

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bum Luck said:
However in Destin, six beachfront owners argued that the old rule should apply to the new beach, giving them ownership down to the new high water mark. If the government insists that the new beach be public, then the private owners should be compensated for loss of what they consider their property.

Let me see - the public pays for a project that extends the private shoreline (that privately wouldn't happen), and then the private owners want the new property as well (for free) or (taxpayer) money? The "loss of what they consider their property" is actually a gain in shoreline, not to mention increased storm protection.

I'm having some trouble with this. :icon_scratch:

In the Destin in Northwest Florida case they are nourshing a strip of land in front of their homes, which will make their "beach front", "beach view" since owners' deeds state that their property line runs along the water's edge at high tide. But under the law governing beach projects, their property now ends where the new sand begins. The newly added beach lies between their property and the ocean. Under the law governing beach projects, their property now ends where the new sand begins. The newly added beach between their property and the ocean, becomes public property. At low tide the land between the high tide mark and low tide line was already public property.

This is a double edge sword, if the Supreme Court rules in the home owners favor, it will make nourshing projects too expensive, which is good for us, but means we are footing the home owners loss of "beach front" on the value of their homes since their property lines no longer touch water............

The property owners had a beach stretching 200 feet to the water; now there's a 75 foot public beach between the property line and the water.

A renourishment project is expensive, most projects average more than $1 million for each mile of sand, which usually only lasts till the next tropical storm. Repairing beach damage from the 2004 hurricane season cost more than $50 million in Central Florida, which was hit by hurricanes Charley, Frances and Jeanne.

bikerlawyer

Jan 9, 2008
Melbourne Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are there any beaches on the east coast of Florida south of Daytona that have not been renourished?

GOHO

Apr 13, 2008
The only beaches i no of south of Daytona are in the National Seashore between New Smyrna Beach to Plyalinda Beach east of Titusville.

bikerlawyer

Jan 9, 2008
Melbourne Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Greg I guess I could have figured that out myself if I had been smart enough to look at a chart before I posted! I have been searching for some beaches to MD along the Space Coast when I have a free hour or two and would like the chance of finding something older than a couple of years.

Do you know of any from Port Canaveral south to Sebastian that haven't been renourished?

capt dom

Nov 9, 2006
Jupiter, Florida USA
I 'm probably going to pick up some flack for this but
the fact is what we are preaching makes sense.... :notworthy:

Not that that means anything anymore.... :lurk: :lurk:
The way our government works now a days.... Our problem is what we are
preaching here makes too much sense.... :tongue3:

Some people are going to say "They are just trying to raise money
for lavish lunches {that what Carl Clausen said i was really just interested in}
but that is not the case.... :read2: :read2: Read our mission statement,

We need a few more CHUMS.... now that is better than what most
treasure hunting fund raisers are looking for..... (CHUMPS) :notworthy:
I won't name any names for fear my post will get bleeped.... :headbang:

C.H.U.M.S.

August 2, 1009 News Article -
Wreck Hunter may Help Beaches

COASTAL HISTORIC UNDERSEA MANAGEMENT SOCIETY, INC.
A FLORIDA 501 (C) 3
NOT-FOR-PROFIT CORPORATION

MISSION STATEMENT:

TO EDUCATE & BENEFIT THE PUBLICS PRESENT & FUTURE, WHILE EXPLORING HISTORIC UNDERSEA EVENTS; CHANNELING OUR EFFORTS TOWARD REEF MITIGATION, DUNE & BEACH RESTORATION AND HELPING TO ENHANCE TURTLE NESTING HABITATS.

BACKGROUND:

Coastal Historic Undersea Management Society, (CHUMS) was first conceived 20 years ago. In 1987 the U.S. Federal Courts of the Southern District awarded Jupiter Wreck Inc. ( JWI.). ownership rights to a 17th century historic shipwreck site located just off of the Jupiter Inlet in South Florida. Archeologists first introduced us to the concept of its management by a not-for-profit institution. I was building a marine service business at the time and seized upon the opportunity to channel my marina’s resources to our then fledgling undersea exploration and adventure. Time passed and our combined practical knowledge base grew. It has always remained a goal throughout these many years for this evolutionary step to be implemented when the public good could best be served.

Making something happen within government today can be a monumental effort. A single voice standing alone is unlikely to be heard. Staff in the regulatory agencies charged with resolving issues involving the environment have little latitude. Pragmatic ideas are viewed as oversimplification. Resistance is likely to be encountered. Hardened career bureaucrats, especially those in environmental sciences, barely tolerate any input from outsiders from the business community and other concerned citizens. Fault for this lay with us, not them by not being vocal enough.

The anachronism of CHUMS stands for our newly formed Coastal Historic Undersea Management Society. It is a fitting name for an interest group with similar likes and concerns; or better yet passions, to help the public better understand and thus proactively engage in managing our coastal near shore environment. CHUMS are friends of the sea who are willing to step up to the plate, to endorse and support an idea whose time has come.

Accelerated rising sea levels in the 21st century is a reality. CHUMS purpose isn’t to debate the reasons why. Our first pro active first objective is to propose an innovative yet environmentally compatible approach for dune restoration here in Jupiter by the sea. This will help to create public awareness of some of the many issues some may think are too complex for the public to understand. In point of fact these issues are very simple. Jupiter and Palm Beach County’s beaches and dunes, desperately are in need of accelerated and innovative restoration programs with the proper quality beach sand. This problem is not going to go away and can be increasingly more expensive, if innovative approaches to addressing it are at the very least not investigated. Within the course of our 20-year search for our historic shipwreck, we have located immense inventories of this high quality dune restoration material (beach sand) and have all the permits in hand to move it (with dredges) so as facilitate our historic investigations. Sea turtles desperately are also in need this same sand for their nesting habitats. The sand we are talking about is the very sand that is washing off our dunes and beaches! By uncovering our onshore reef structures and natural hard bottoms, we can stimulate nature’s natural engine that creates and sustains high quality beach sand in the first place.

We are moving some sand in any case. We are proposing CHUMS expand this volume sand we have identified and transport it back to the beach and dunes where it came from, there by restoring nesting sites and natures buffer zone to our coastline. This all can be done at a fraction of the taxpayer, cost compared to traditional contractors verses our not-for-profit organization. It is our tight knit group of friends, abet with diverse backgrounds (CHUMS) mission to mobilize the professional staff and acquire and modify the proper equipment package to place this sand and material back where it belongs and came from in the first place so that dunes can be maintained, natural onshore reef structure and bait fish habitats stimulated and in doing so, save the taxpayers significant and document able future capital outlays. This worthy educational effort and action will turn the sand we are permitted to move into a genuine treasure for our present and for future generations

Captain Dominic A. Addario
Managing Directing Officer , CHUMS, INC..

For more information on how you can participate. Contact us at :
[email protected]
561-339-6822

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread