nkellam22

Feb 9, 2019
Western Europe
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Beautiful 14th Century Seal Matrix and Other Goodies

These are the highlights from 2 hunts. The first hunt was a couple of days ago and the second was today. Its been a while since I've had very much to post so it felt good to have two great outings in a row.
Everything was found in Luxembourg.

First off, a beautiful seal matrix. I believe it's from the 17th century but would love to hear what you think. Also, if you have any idea regarding what the image might represent it would be much appreciated.
IMG_6139.jpegIMG_6138.jpegIMG_6140.jpegIMG_6141.jpeg

Two nice coins. The first one is a French 5 centimes from 1796-1800. Here is a link to a nicer one https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces886.html.
The second coin is a German 5 pfennig from 1875.
IMG_6134.jpegIMG_6135.jpegIMG_6136.jpeg

Here is a nice bottle topper from a local shop that made sparkling water. The shop opened in 1913 and closed in 1959
IMG_6137.jpeg

Here is everything combined. The fossil is whats called a gryphaea or devils toenail and is an extinct oyster species.
IMG_6133.jpeg

Thanks for Looking!

Last edited:
Upvote 32
The seal matrix is circa 14th C! Nice.

The seal matrix is circa 14th C! Nice.

Wow!
That's much older than I expected.
I don't mean to doubt you given your expertise in this hobby but what makes you say its 14th century. Just cause I've been hunting the site that I found it at for over a year now and the oldest stuff I've found there is from the late 1600s.

Wow!
That's much older than I expected.
I don't mean to doubt you given your expertise in this hobby but what makes you say its 14th century. Just cause I've been hunting the site that I found it at for over a year now and the oldest stuff I've found there is from the late 1600s.
I've had many like it. Its in several books including one on Seals. I think they call it chess piece style.

Awesome seal! Congrats!

Time to break out the wax and get an impression of it. Congrat's on the seal it's a beauty.

Wow!
Just cause I've been hunting the site that I found it at for over a year now and the oldest stuff I've found there is from the late 1600s.
Just as an observation, always uses the objects as the clues, not the site. ID the clues properly then you can build the picture of the site. Although, it will never be a clear picture because unless found it in a sealed context that's date-able, things can be lost or thrown away, or accidentally dumped hundreds of years later.

IDs first conclusions later.:thumbsup:

Great finds- Congrats!

It looks like an eye.

Congrats on the old seal and other cool keepers! :occasion14:

wowwwwwwwowowoowwwww!!!!!!!!!! this is prety cool and epic gamer, that seal lookin fine. send more shiny rock pics pls i love them. :3some::3some:
mp,550x550,gloss,ffffff,t.u5.jpg

In my opinion vintage or ancient wax seals are some of the most interesting relics that you can find.
Well done! :occasion14:
Nick

I reversed the image for anyone wanting to try and decipher what it says or any more information about it. Congrats on the awesome find!
IMG_6139.jpeg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back