beautiful brass 1800s wallet!! and check out the cleavedge !

MaineRelic

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2008
MAINE
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesorso's, Minelabs, Garrett's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
beautiful brass 1800's wallet!! and check out the cleavedge !

DID I SAY ; CLEAVEDGE!!! I MEANT CLEAVER!!! ;D ;D ;D I DID MANAGE TO GET OUT TODAY FOR 2 1/2 HRS. The cool little brass lock came first then I slowed down. Pickings were slow but next keeper turned out 2 be this really cool brass wallet with the 2 eye hooks 2 wear around your neck. I was really hoping for a coin or 2 inside but alas only a black rotted mess of paper which I believe was money ! Or perhaps some old photos. Look at the way it's stained the inside. Then came the cleaver!! In really great shape!! I actually wanted one of these cause I do quite a bit of cooking, and a little bit of home butchering! I never thought I would find one in usable shape!! Thats it today! HAPPY HUNTING MAINERELIC.

Attachments

• P1010823.JPG
    P1010823.JPG
    251.1 KB · Views: 981
  • brass wallet.jpg
    brass wallet.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 998
  • 05-27-~3 (2).jpg
    05-27-~3 (2).jpg
    205 KB · Views: 974
  • 05-27-~2 (2).jpg
    05-27-~2 (2).jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 963
Upvote 0

Old River

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2007
Texas, Old River Winfree
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Garrett 2500, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett AT PRO, Garrett ADS Master hunter, Garret Pro Pointer.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Re: MAINE RELICS.

Nice finds. Like the wallet. HH......

Moonshadow

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2004
Aiken, SC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Re: MAINE RELICS.

Love the brass wallet/locket holder thingy! Very ornate and I love the patina that it has. If it could only talk! Nice find! :wink:

HH,
Moon

OP
OP
MaineRelic

MaineRelic

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2008
MAINE
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesorso's, Minelabs, Garrett's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: beautiful brass 1800's wallet!! and check out the cleavedge !

I LOVE THIS SITE ! u FIND 2 PIECES OF LEAD ! WHERE U KNOW PEOPLE SHOT AT EACH OTHER ,100 AND Fifty YEARS AGO AND EVERYONE GOES GOO;GOO ! yOU GO OUT AND FIND A BRASS WALLET FROM THE SAME PERIOD , THAT NOBODY EVEN KNOWS IS LOST , EXCEPT THE DECEASED PERSON WHO LOST IT. GET IT OUT OF THE GROUND IN 1 PIECE AND NO ONE REALLY EVEN LOOKS AT IT , I DON;T GET IT ?????????????????????????? comments ??? MaineRelic.

Gunny71

Jan 14, 2009
Texas by Gawd
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Cool looking wallet!

lostcauses

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2008

might be a cigarette case.

ldablo

Apr 21, 2009
Texas
Detector(s) used
Master Hunter CX Plus

you say cleavage--i'm there! :o ;D
nice finds.
LD

trikikiwi

Silver Member
Oct 5, 2006
New Zealand
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That's a beautiful find :icon_thumright: and the brass case too :D

I don't know what size the coin is, but the case is possibly a chatelain style container, likely worn from the waist. Could have contained anything from calling cards, money, cigarettes, stash ;D

Something similar....
purse.2.jpg
http://www.malleries.com/antique-st...ing-card-ca-i-2689-s-50.html?images=true#img1

Mike

Nick A

May 10, 2007
Columbus Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Fisher CZ3D

That's no wallet, it's a cigarette case. Shorter unfiltered cigarettes would fit in a row under the "clip" on the left side in your picture. My guess too is that it dates from the 1920s. Could be as early as 1910 though, but probably not much more than that. It looks like a women's item, and smoking for women was not really in vogue until the 1920s. Would have liked to have seen the "black rotted mess" that was inside it, could have been interesting in giving some clues as to it's age, identity and use. If it stained the inside, it probably was cigarettes. Originally the case probably was silver plated, and I think I can see some remains of that plating in your picture.

As for getting attention for your finds, I think a lot of people look, but don't necessarily have anything to say or add. I'm not sure why it is so important to get comments on your posts? I'm mainly an old coin hunter, so "relics" don't interest me much and neither do the war relics or bullets. If you have specific questions about an item, ask them, and I'm sure if someone knows the answer they will chime in. I know nothing about the cleaver or the lock you found so I can't comment on those. Looks like you are doing well and your finds are old and interesting. Good luck and happy hunting! :icon_thumleft:

Attachments

• cigarette case.jpg
    cigarette case.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 564

muttandjeeps

Jul 11, 2008
Moved from the Peoples Republic of Massachusetts t
Detector(s) used
The Equinox 800 is the only one I need...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great finds! Beautiful cleavage, and a fine lookin piece of brass :wink:
Any idea how old the container is? Amazing that it came out in such fine condition,congratulations!

3RINGER

Feb 1, 2009
Middle TN
Detector(s) used
GPX 4800, Blisstool V6, AT Pro, Makro Racer, CZ3D, XL PRO, Nokta Relic, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

448 views though ;D

just like posted above some may like to view but just not reply.

WTG and HH

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250

MaineRelic said:
I LOVE THIS SITE ! u FIND 2 PIECES OF LEAD ! WHERE U KNOW PEOPLE SHOT AT EACH OTHER ,100 AND Fifty YEARS AGO AND EVERYONE GOES GOO;GOO ! yOU GO OUT AND FIND A BRASS WALLET FROM THE SAME PERIOD , THAT NOBODY EVEN KNOWS IS LOST , EXCEPT THE DECEASED PERSON WHO LOST IT. GET IT OUT OF THE GROUND IN 1 PIECE AND NO ONE REALLY EVEN LOOKS AT IT , I DON;T GET IT ?????????????????????????? comments ??? MaineRelic.

First of all I think it is a very neat find (I love finding old personal items, they are my favorite). As for views and posts, sometimes it takes off and sometimes it doesn't. It's really nice weather here right now and I am spending a lot more time outside (as I am sure most others are too) and I don't see every post since I am not stuck in front of the computer because of the weather. With everyone out hunting and posting their finds it's easy to miss a few. Don't get discouraged and stop posting though, I guarantee you it's nothing personal.

HH Charlie

artzstuff1

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2008
Wayne Co. IL. "POND CREEK"
Detector(s) used
Tesoro's (many- 7-8)

That kind of stuff is what I like really,,,, I will take that stuff over worn out coins anyday!!!!!!,,, thanks for sharin your finds .,,,,

arthur

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

WOW. That is TOO KOOL! First one I've seen. Congrats........Hogge :headbang:

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Oh man, I was expecting cleavage. I really like cleavage. :tongue3:

Your cigarette case is really cool though! :icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions