Beautiful day and maybe my best find yet.

the_mad_cladder

Jan 2, 2015
North Carolina
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with all the coils, MI-6 pinpointer, Ace350 and Garrett pro pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
6FB3269A-F992-43E2-B774-A37D99988CA3.jpeg Did some doorknocking with Bladerunner2019 and WV1978 in Mayberry today. I lucked up and dug a 1918 2 franc coin. It woulda been a day-maker for me anyways but I flipped it and noticed the letters on the back were pressed in and not raised like on the front. It says “Samuel r Pruitt, 2398382, 7th co 4th regt mech, air service, AEF my airy nc USA”. I am in shock and awe still.... to find a piece like it connected to Europe and NC. I’ve got some research to do and I’d love any input. I’m assuming he had this made while he was in France in 1918. The “air service was basically the Air Force before it was the Air Force and 1918 was the first year the went by that name. I’m questing these guys were working on our first war planes. I’m not gonna be able to sleep. C6B6F95C-D0CF-4649-BFEF-D27F20EFCD4B.jpeg
7CD3893B-B664-46D5-83CE-7A5AD75DC1B5.jpeg C6B6F95C-D0CF-4649-BFEF-D27F20EFCD4B.jpeg 9A3D507F-C376-4E4E-913A-1F51DDE0B90B.jpeg My next hole was this NC State belt buckle. My heart really took off when I seen a buckle with NC on it. I thought it was civil war but still pretty cool.

Last edited:
Upvote 43
OP
OP
the_mad_cladder

the_mad_cladder

Jan 2, 2015
North Carolina
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Incredible find! Possibly his son, with family members listed: https://www.mtairynews.com/archive/23191/view-full_story-10734376-article-pruett

Thanks iggyks. Much thanks to you and the others who have helped out. I’ve been chasing a 2 yr old all day so my time has been limited. I just messaged possibly one of Sam jr’s Children who lives in east bend. His Facebook page has some similar aspects. I think it’s the right guy.
Thought I might also add....Found this tag in a yard very close to the cemetary senior is buried in. Also kinda cool we share a birthday.The home owner said he thought pruetts build the home in the 40s. He had recently had French drains installed and I think they moved this coin. I didn’t hit it an it’s got a little scuff that’s fresh. The plug was 6” with the bottom 2” being original dirt (black). This tag was only about 2” into the top fill which was reddish. Still so excited I can’t stand it.

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is just the coolest find!!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very interesting finds, congratulations! :occasion14:

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Extremely cool and historical find! Big congrats!

DonDigger

Jan 11, 2013
Galveston Bay Area
Detector(s) used
Teknetics, Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic find and what could be a heart warming return for sure. A quick search for an obituary got a hit at newspaperarchive.com. Unfortunately they scramble the actual text unless you have a current subscription. I let mine expire some time back so if anyone has a current subscription to newspaperarchive.com they can get the full obituary for Samuel which should give the names of his surviving relatives which will narrow your search considerably. Good luck finding Samuel's family!

Don

Attachments

• obit.JPG
    obit.JPG
    104.2 KB · Views: 58
OP
OP
the_mad_cladder

the_mad_cladder

Jan 2, 2015
North Carolina
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Fantastic find and what could be a heart warming return for sure. A quick search for an obituary got a hit at newspaperarchive.com. Unfortunately they scramble the actual text unless you have a current subscription. I let mine expire some time back so if anyone has a current subscription to newspaperarchive.com they can get the full obituary for Samuel which should give the names of his surviving relatives which will narrow your search considerably. Good luck finding Samuel's family!

Don

Thanks for that. Iggyks posted a link to the obituary (above) for Sam seniors son named Sam r. Pruett jr. Also. I’ve been texting back and forth with one of the children on Facebook. Seems like he’s interested. Im about 80% sure it’s the right family but have asked him for help confirming it. It’s just a matter of time now. I think he is consulting some other kin for more info. I will update and post a pic of return when it happens.

DonDigger

Jan 11, 2013
Galveston Bay Area
Detector(s) used
Teknetics, Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found Parents and Spouse associated with the death certificate. Also found a 1940 Census that shows his children which may help confirm the relatives.

Attachments

• obit4.JPG
    obit4.JPG
    43.9 KB · Views: 60
  • obit2.JPG
    obit2.JPG
    31.1 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
OP
OP
the_mad_cladder

the_mad_cladder

Jan 2, 2015
North Carolina
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
tn_link.gif
I searched Google and found this to help with your search (name and serial number match)...

View attachment 1609597
[FONT=&]Incoming ›Archimedes ›Jul 1918 - Nov 1918 [/FONT]

View attachment 1609599
View attachment 1609598

Samuel R. Pruett
View attachment 1609612
16 Mar 1896
23 Mar 1967 (aged 71)
Grace Moravian God's Acre
Mount Airy, Surry County, North Carolina, USA
Thanks for your help. I thought I replied to you previously but I guess it didn’t take. I believe that’s the right grave and it’s actually across the street from the yard I recovered the tag in! I’ve spoken to one of the grandsons. But he is under the impression his grandfather was a sharp shooter. The tag says otherwise but I’m assuming he could have crossed fields or cross trained. He is getting more info and pending that I will call the newspaper and meet him in the yard I found it if he is cool with it. I know the home owner would be. I will post the article and pics when it goes down. Thanks for your help.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thats banner stuff where im from

PullTabPete

Jun 14, 2012
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excal II E-trac EQ 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very cool find and nice job trying to return it.

Good karma on the way.

Pete

OP
OP
the_mad_cladder

the_mad_cladder

Jan 2, 2015
North Carolina
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
thats banner stuff where im from

That would be cool. I spoke to the daughter of samuels oldest son on the phone. She is super nice and get this.... i met her before. I knocked on her door and she let us detect last year and again just a few weeks ago. Her house is around 40-50 miles from where I dug the tag! She said she has her dads tag from ww2 and now she will have grandfathers. She is ill and it looks like I’ll be meeting her cousin who is also a grandson. I will update soon.

OP
OP
the_mad_cladder

the_mad_cladder

Jan 2, 2015
North Carolina
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cleaned up the tag a bit.
F7CF56A5-4836-48E2-BDF9-507A4EDAF911.jpeg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread