Beautiful Half-Penny Dug in Charleston S.C.

55th Massachusetts

Jun 5, 2009
Detector(s) used
Nautilus
I just recently dug this Hibernia 1781 King George III Half-Penny in the Charleston S.C. area. With the recent posts on the "condition" of relics dug in South Carolina , I felt that I should post this coin.

In the sandy coast of the SC lowcountry, the relics come out of the ground looking, well like this coin. I haven't even taken a toothbrush or washed this coin. It is exactly how it came out of the ground.

I have dug in this area for almost 40 years, and the relics found there come out of the ground better than anywhere in the country as far as I am concerned.
REB

Attachments

• Half Penny 006.JPG
    Half Penny 006.JPG
    230.2 KB · Views: 942
  • Half Penny 007.JPG
    Half Penny 007.JPG
    211.4 KB · Views: 897
Upvote 0

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow, this is one of the best coppers I have seen posted. You have to love those Colonial relics. I love them with a passion.

Kirk :hello:

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
umrgolf2010 said:
REB, here's two that came out of a very sandy yard this summer. The marines button I just rinsed off with water.

I sure remember this yard, we must've dug 15 Civil War buttons out of this yard along with the Beautiful example of a KGII that you have pictured above. That yard was much like that sugar sand of South Carolina. Both 55th Mass and your KGII once again just show another example of what good soil conditions can do for your finds! Great Coppers both of'um :wink:

PEles

Apr 20, 2009
Lowcountry, South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus !
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey Robert gorgeous coin. Yeah most folks don't have a clue as to how some of our coins & relics come out the ground down here. We definitely have some of the prettiest dug relics in the world. I shouldn't be ticked off about not making the banner with the SC buckle, but it's the principle of the thing. The fact they have a banner up there is to show off some of their readers best finds. If this isnt considered a rare and valuable find and not worthy of their consideration then something's not right about who's making the decisions on banner finds. Obviously they don't know what they're doing! I think it's a clique thing etheir your in their clique or not and appears I'm not :laughing7: I think it's becasuse i post a lot on the depot myself. Somebody making the call on the banner stuff has issues with the depot I imagine, they've seen some of my finds before .Nice coin bud :icon_thumleft:

LP

Garabaldi

Bronze Member
Jun 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
Whites M6, Whites Pulse Diver, ETRAC.
Geeze gotta love that soil. Nicest colonial copper I have seen dug. :hello2: Nice recovery. preserving our history one hole at a time. :wink:
Congrats.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions