Beautiful Half-Penny Dug in Charleston S.C.

55th Massachusetts

Jun 5, 2009
Detector(s) used
Nautilus
I just recently dug this Hibernia 1781 King George III Half-Penny in the Charleston S.C. area. With the recent posts on the "condition" of relics dug in South Carolina , I felt that I should post this coin.

In the sandy coast of the SC lowcountry, the relics come out of the ground looking, well like this coin. I haven't even taken a toothbrush or washed this coin. It is exactly how it came out of the ground.

I have dug in this area for almost 40 years, and the relics found there come out of the ground better than anywhere in the country as far as I am concerned.
REB

Attachments

• Half Penny 006.JPG
    Half Penny 006.JPG
    230.2 KB · Views: 941
  • Half Penny 007.JPG
    Half Penny 007.JPG
    211.4 KB · Views: 896
Upvote 0

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i - Ace 250 (backup) - Garrett Pro Pointer - Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Freeking 1781!!! Jeeze I struggle to get into the 1800's here in Texas... I'm jealous!

Chukers

U

umrgolf

100% true about the condition of finds in sandy soil. Here in VA it's about 50/50 sandy & muddy.. but when you do get into the sandy soil, even here the stuff comes out great. Josh's shilling was in very, very sandy soil.

Great looking halfpenny :o

U

umrgolf

REB, here's two that came out of a very sandy yard this summer. The marines button I just rinsed off with water.

IMG_0006.JPG

IMG_0007.JPG

Brian in MA

Sep 4, 2004
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Primary Interest:
Other
That is amazing. I would give anything to find a copper in that kind of condition. Just finding one around here in good enough condition to identify is tough to do. I have dozens of coppers that I'll never know what they were. Very frustrating..

I have one field that has moist black soil but has an elevated area that has some drier, sandier soil but unfortunately very few targets. Whenever I go there I always dedicate at least an hour to hunt that one area in hopes of finding a copper because I'm sure it would be in decent shape.

I guess as a New Englander, I shouldn't be complaining. I have a shot at a 17th century coin or relic every time I go hunting. Doesn't mean I can't be envious of your sandy soil !!!

Happy hunting !!!

Brian in MA

OP
OP
55th Massachusetts

55th Massachusetts

Jun 5, 2009
Detector(s) used
Nautilus
Thanks guys!!
We have roots but NO ROCKS!! If we do find one.......it's an arrow head!
REB

MaineRelic

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2008
MAINE
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesorso's, Minelabs, Garrett's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They can come out of the ground remarkably nice, Like this one ! and the Liberty cap on the banner ! Thanks for showing us a beautiful find 55th ! MaineRelic

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
'Tis a beauty! :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: I'm not an expert, but it appears to me to be a Regal Irish 1/2 penny. Notice how the "I"s and "1"s all have the same punch. If it is counterfeit, it's a very fine example of a contemporary CFT. Weight on Regals should be around 140 grains or better.

OP
OP
55th Massachusetts

55th Massachusetts

Jun 5, 2009
Detector(s) used
Nautilus
Thanks.....here you go MaineRelic...... I dug this in a camp of the 9th Maine, near Charleston SC
REB

Attachments

• img120.jpg
    img120.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 709

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice coin, but the best thing about great dirt is that when you do swing over something rare your chances of it being killer are so much better. For the majority of rare stuff we've dug here it's only worth low grade value because the condition tends to be pretty rough.

SC Keith

Aug 25, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
:hello: :hello2:
Its a beauty alright! Great war date coin too while the Brits "owned" Charleston. :)

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man , that KG is pristine for being lost and subjected to the elements, for centuries ! Incredible condition :icon_thumleft:

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice KGIII Irish Halfpenny! :thumbsup: Have seen over the years many great finds from that area, sort of like New England era stuff with Civil War relics to boot!

The SC low country does produce great condition coins and relics, but so do a lot of other places, including my local area, seems that the sugar sands of the coastal plain that go from Florida up into NJ are well suited for copper being buried if the sandy areas are well drained. Even in Michigan I have seen posted some of the finest ground found coppers, that area also has sugar sand in places.
Here is my 1781 Irish Halfpenny found quite a few years ago, in Cape May County, NJ; and the condition then brought a smile to my face, it is a counterfeit, (only weighs 94.3 grains) and an interesting one, since the counterfeiter used the letter punch G for the O in GEORGIVS and then filled in the G to make an O. :wink:

Don

Attachments

• 1781IrishCombined.jpg
    1781IrishCombined.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 566

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread