Been looking for A OLD PICNIC Grove for at least 20 YEARS

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Me and the land owner went out to where we had a clue it may have been . A month or longer I posted a picture of what i thought was a old hand water pump base. Yesterday we went back there and did Locator search with my Deus 2 . What I call a locator search is a fast walk looking for any targets such as nails or screws any thing that shows up to indicate people were in the area.I got there around 10:25 AM EST I searched till around 1:00 PM In all that time of searching My Deus sounded off FOUR TIMES !! I thought my detector was broke . I kept throwing my pocket coins down to make sure it was working. I have been detecting since 1968 almost 55 years !!! I have NEVER went out and GOT LESS TARGETS of ANY KIND !!!
The targets i found was a Shotgun Shell head brass. A strange piece of wire a wadded up piece of aluminum foil That I did not take a picture of and a what i believe is a piece of plow horse tack. One reason for lack of signals may be the area FLOODS a lot The piece of tack i dug was about 10 inches deep the head stamp was about the same. Things i noticed that pump type pipe was about18 inches off the ground. I am thinking maybe the grove area is just under to much clean dirt to be found.

Finds1.jpg
Finds2.jpg
Finds3.jpg
Finds4.jpg

Upvote 9

river roamer

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2022
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II Excalibur 1000 Equinox 900
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
You have a few years more in the detecting field than me. I work in the water mostly, and I have gone out and found nothing but trash. Don't get dissapointed. It's not like it used to be, when your good finds outnumbered your bad.

OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I might also add when i am doing a locator search and start finding items (ANYTHING ) I go into my MAJOR search mode !1 and slow way down

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Gare,
Suggestions:
Contact personnel at the Stark, Osnaburg and Hoover Historical Societies. Ask them for 50-year old maps of the area.
Also have them give you contact info for the local Historian--then ask that person for assistance.
Another thought: Contact aerial photographers and ask them where there might be photos of the assumed site area. taken 50 years ago.
Good luck,
Don.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
sometimes fill dirt has been added to an area and that totally changes everything or can.

OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gare,
Suggestions:
Contact personnel at the Stark, Osnaburg and Hoover Historical Societies. Ask them for 50-year old maps of the area.
Also have them give you contact info for the local Historian--then ask that person for assistance.
Another thought: Contact aerial photographers and ask them where there might be photos of the assumed site area. taken 50 years ago.
Good luck,
Don.

Gee THANKS Don :) I have already done most of these . I am a member of them already . This grove was before the 1900's I have went with some of my Drones and taken all kinds of pictures. The amount of top sand type dirt i think indicates a lot of fill and come from the creek next to the area .BUT you have NO IDEA HOW MUCH I APPRECIATE your THOUGHTS SIR :) I hope your in good health BUDDY :) and thanks again

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First, I've always daydreamed coming across a place where a park or picnic grove had been for like 50 years, and had been heavily used, but not since the 40's or something like that. OK then, the flooding thing. A fried of mine has a house on the Rouge River here in Grants Pass, I thought OK here we go. Well turns out that thru some heavy flooding a few times in the past, there is 12 to 18" of additional sand and dirt deposited there. Spent about 3 hours there before anyone told me. Oh well. Gare, If you find that place, "May the dirt be soft, and the coins old and shallow".

OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First, I've always daydreamed coming across a place where a park or picnic grove had been for like 50 years, and had been heavily used, but not since the 40's or something like that. OK then, the flooding thing. A fried of mine has a house on the Rouge River here in Grants Pass, I thought OK here we go. Well turns out that thru some heavy flooding a few times in the past, there is 12 to 18" of additional sand and dirt deposited there. Spent about 3 hours there before anyone told me. Oh well. Gare, If you find that place, "May the dirt be soft, and the coins old and shallow".
The dirt is soft.like fill sand .I just can not think of any other reason that pump could be there :(

DanMcG

Dec 29, 2022
Central NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett 300
Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can totally see how floods could deposit fill over the land, but the one thing that bothers me is that the pump base is so high out of the ground still

OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can totally see how floods could deposit fill over the land, but the one thing that bothers me is that the pump base is so high out of the ground still
Hi Dan Thanks for your reply !! I think the same way you do. But was brought to my attention maybe there was some kind of shelter built over the pump and it filled in where the building or shelter. was. I have NEVER RAN a detector for so long and only get 4 beeps total :(No trash except for the ball of aluminum foil maybe 10 to 12 inches deep (I know I hAD TO DIG A LOT TO FIND IT)

OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The tack piece you found I think is the top section of a kerosine lamp burner.
Oh my GOSH Dan I think about a lantern top. Your 100 % Correct Thank you :) THANKS :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I made a mistake. Thanks to DanMcG I think he got the item identified correct. I now believe it is top of a old Kerosene Lantern :) Thanks to Dan :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread