What's new

Beginning of the End

tank014

Full Member
Joined
Jun 26, 2008
Messages
204
Reaction score
31
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Ace 250, Garret 1250
Well today started as a normal day went to my Tuesday pick up drop off bank and got my Half dollars. Everything going smoothly. After I put them in my car I headed off to my Thursday pick up drop off bank but to a branch that I only go to occasionally ( the bank I normally go to is in the next city north of were I was.) I have just started go to this one the past few weeks to pick up dimes and quarters and the rare box of halves from there if they had them. Anyways I went in and asked for a box of Halves and a box of dimes. They go to the back and come out with a box of dimes. They then tell me that they can order halves but ..............(here it comes)............... I'd half to pay 7.50 per box. CRAP!!! I told them no thank you. Now I'm worried about my normal Thursday pickup bank. I've been going to this bank for a little over a year now with no problems. I hope... I pray... That this fee deal is not going to affect that bank too. I guess I'll see soon. Wish me luck.
Oh yeah side note:
I asked them why and they told me it was because halves are rare and special and that the rolling company charges them 26$ a box to ship. The weird thing is that they are only charging 7.50$ per box. You do the math. :icon_scratch: They are still losing quite a bit of money if this were TRUE!!!
Guess I may need to find a new bank.... MAYBE...... Fingers Crossed.....
HH,
Frank
 
Upvote 0
I asked my main bank where I buy boxes if they get charged extra for ordering boxes of halves and they said no.

But I have one bank that charges 5 bucks a box and said that is what they are charged. Both banks use Brinks, so I think the bank with the 5 dollar fee is full of s**t, and just wants to take advantage of my addiction to CRHing and get whatever extra money they can out of me. I have cut down on buying boxes from them and do it only when I am desperate for a fix and nobody else has any.

26 bucks seems excessive no matter what though, to me at least.

Jim
 
find a new supply bank and use them as your new dump bank and dump on them hard
 
silvercop said:
find a new supply bank and use them as your new dump bank and dump on them hard

good idea
 
Anybody ever call the bank out on this? I wonder what they would do if you just replied with "You're lying."
 
From what I have learned there is different contracts that banks can have. My dump bank which I trust VERY much said they can order pennies, nickels, dimes, quarters, and small dollars for there monthly contracted price, no matter the quantity. They have to pay extra for halves. Another bank can order ANYTHING with there contract and not pay fees. I have one bank I dont use much except for a dump, that has to pay per box, becuase they dont do alot of coins, so it works out cheaper. What I am saying I am pretty sure there is different levels of service they can purchase. It will all depend on there contract.

Thanks,
Jason
 
Shake-N-Bake said:
From what I have learned there is different contracts that banks can have. My dump bank which I trust VERY much said they can order pennies, nickels, dimes, quarters, and small dollars for there monthly contracted price, no matter the quantity. They have to pay extra for halves. Another bank can order ANYTHING with there contract and not pay fees. I have one bank I dont use much except for a dump, that has to pay per box, because they dont do alot of coins, so it works out cheaper. What I am saying I am pretty sure there is different levels of service they can purchase. It will all depend on there contract.

Thanks,
Jason

I hope you are right and I hope my Thursday pickup bank Ponied up and got the good contrat. The thing is that I would believe these people if this happened on the first of the year but now we are into February and just the way they worded it to me didn't make a whole lot of sense. They did tell me that one of their own bankers was mad about this new rule because i guess she did half boxes too.
hh,
frank
 
tank014 said:
Shake-N-Bake said:
From what I have learned there is different contracts that banks can have. My dump bank which I trust VERY much said they can order pennies, nickels, dimes, quarters, and small dollars for there monthly contracted price, no matter the quantity. They have to pay extra for halves. Another bank can order ANYTHING with there contract and not pay fees. I have one bank I dont use much except for a dump, that has to pay per box, because they dont do alot of coins, so it works out cheaper. What I am saying I am pretty sure there is different levels of service they can purchase. It will all depend on there contract.

Thanks,
Jason

I hope you are right and I hope my Thursday pickup bank Ponied up and got the good contrat. The thing is that I would believe these people if this happened on the first of the year but now we are into February and just the way they worded it to me didn't make a whole lot of sense. They did tell me that one of their own bankers was mad about this new rule because i guess she did half boxes too.
hh,
frank

Alot of times the banks are full of BS. If you have been getting boxes from them the whole time I cant understand them changing the contract. Just because it isnt the end of the year doesnt matter the contracts I am sure end at the end of the fiscal year not calendar year. I actually had a source bank change there contract because I wanted to order boxes of halves, not sure what month it was in but it wasnt the first of the year. They were right up front with me about there fees for halves they informed me to wait a couple of weeks for there contract to come due then I could order with-out a fee. It really depends on the bank some just dont want to deal with the quantity of baxes and other really do hae fees that need to get passed on, they are in finacial trouble.

Good Luck,
Jason
 
you got to find a bank that will play ball, if not no game. i still say dump on them hard if they don't want to play
 
There are other factors why banks might charge fees besides the bank allegedly being charged a fee from the courier. Some banks only have so much vault space to store coin, and when you come in to get the boxes it requires tellers to spend time bringing the boxes out to you. Some banks give better "service" to customers who keep lots of dough at their institution. They bend over backwards to satisfy the customer because they know he is gonna keep his money there. I don't keep alot of money in the bank so I know the banks that treat me well are just nice or desperate for customers.

I have had the best luck buying from larger chain banks. The smaller, local types (not talking about credit unions) seem to charge fees and whine about ordering more than one box at a time.

If a bank wants your business bad enough you should be able to get boxes without fees--end of story. Now if you are ordering a dozen boxes at a time that may be something else. I have been able to get 3 to 4 boxes at at time from my good banks without any problems or fees.

Jim
 
SOMEBODY has got to know someone who works in a bank to ask about this, to get to the bottom of it.

I am just not a CRH person, but do know a bank owner.
He still sits on the board.

I could ask him about who to ask about handling fees, but it would kinda be like calling in a favor.

Don't you guys and gals know someone behind a big desk, personally?

I'm sure they are aware mining exists.

Ask 'em!

Best
rmptr
 
rmptr said:
SOMEBODY has got to know someone who works in a bank to ask about this, to get to the bottom of it.

I am just not a CRH person, but do know a bank owner.
He still sits on the board.

I could ask him about who to ask about handling fees, but it would kinda be like calling in a favor.

Don't you guys and gals know someone behind a big desk, personally?

I'm sure they are aware mining exists.

Ask 'em!

Best
rmptr

My neighbor and good friend is a branch manager at my Credit union. They have a box fee for halves only, it is $0.78(per box) she does not pass the fee onto me.

Jason
 
jim4silver said:
I have had the best luck buying from larger chain banks. The smaller, local types (not talking about credit unions) seem to charge fees and whine about ordering more than one box at a time.

Jim

This is why I am worried Jim. The bank in question is Wells Fargo. I don't know about your area but Wells Fargo is a very large branch cain out by me. Who knows though maybe my normal pick up bank doesn't know about this. At least I won't be bringing it up.
HH,
Frank
 
My brother works at TD Bank here in NJ. He tells me they pay a flat fee for coin deliveries, no per box fees.
He also said every penny is accounted for in the bank. There's even a form for pennies found on the floor. NOWHERE is there a place for individual banks in their chain to add fees to anything beyond what the bank normally charges. Meaning that an individual manager can NOT decide on their own to charge a fee for ordering boxes as there is nowhere to report the income to the bank.
Again, this is for TD Bank, your bank may be different. I'm going to ask a few teller friends at different banks.
 
Today I asked a friend that works for Susquehanna about the fees. She said all coin company contracts are handled by the main bank administration and are flat fee. However, individual bank managers can add fees at their discretion. She said sometimes if a bank isn't making enough money otherwise, a manager will add fees.
 
Good news!!!! My Thursday pickup bank said nothing of the awful "F" word. I will not bring this up to them of coarse. But yeah anyway everything went as it normally did so I am happy. As for the other wells fargo.... I hope they are ready for all of my coins. LOL.
HH,
Frank
 
Tank
A lot of times I think it depends on the manager and teller supervisor. If you are dealing with what I call Bean Counters and not people who are marketing oriented they're going to try and nickle and dime everyone to death all the while thinking they are doing the right thing. Best to find the friendly banks who are happy for you and your hobby. Showing your appreciation with treats once in awhile helps too. Everyone wants to know they are valued. Good Luck to you!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom