What's new

bell or part of something?

Digger54

Hero Member
🥇 Charter Member
Joined
Dec 6, 2010
Messages
659
Reaction score
892
Golden Thread
0
Location
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, Bandido II, Sovereign GT, Fisher1280X, Nautilus DMCIIB, Deus2, Manticore.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hi;

Dug this last Sunday and thought it might be a bell. Had to run it on electrolysis as it was a greeny granular lump. Looking inside of the lip at the fine threading I'm not so sure it is a bell now.
 

Attachments

  • bellup1.webp
    bellup1.webp
    6.6 KB · Views: 255
inside view

inside view
 

Attachments

  • bellinside.webp
    bellinside.webp
    9.6 KB · Views: 247
Upvote 0
my first thought, that is was part of a bolt assembly for a bolt action rifle. but i guess it is to big for that.

Nova Treasure
 
Upvote 0
At first I thought it might be part of a farm implement, but now I'm not sure. :icon_scratch:
Is it copper or bronze, looks like it might be bronze? :icon_scratch:
This could mean it was possibly brought to America from Europe.

Just speculation on my part of course though. :laughing7:

Dave
 

Attachments

  • Whatsit.webp
    Whatsit.webp
    5.8 KB · Views: 154
Upvote 0
Antiquarian said:
At first I thought it might be part of a farm implement, but now I'm not sure. :icon_scratch:
Is it copper or bronze, looks like it might be bronze? :icon_scratch:
This could mean it was possibly brought to America from Europe.

Just speculation on my part of course though. :laughing7:

Dave

It looks to be brass. One spot on the side has a slight yellowish tint where I polished it too much.
 
Upvote 0
Pretty sure it's not a bell because of the threads inside the belled part. Maybe some kind of plug or part of a guage for water or gas, etc? Monty
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom