belly scratchin under a old barn..goodies!!

resurector

Mar 11, 2005
Hills near Eureka,Ca
While detectin around a 1890's barn that my wife jus inherited.The weeds allowed like to swing a coil and since I noticed that the huge old barn sits on a slope. The front being about 4-5' high off the ground' tapering back to nothing. The thought that there some open dirt to at least get some areas to swing was right on..Looking under i saw a vast expanse of smooth ground! You cud stand up with head bowed, as i ran some patterns in between pierblocks.I notice old glass stickin out of the ground. First out came a numbered tag, followed by a sweet 1907 IH. As Iwent out from under to see in the sun what date in Indian was,ther by the opening that i had jus stepped over, was a kids carbide cannon just sittin there.More patterns gave up a 1919 Buff, another #tag, and diggin a really iffy deep target out came a cast iron train engine in real ruff shape(i still dig that kina stuff) and while digging it i had thrown a porcelain doll leg on the pile.Now towards the back i'm havin to squat-hop then swing a perimeter,the problem was, the good signals were few, but just as i was ready to give,out pops a brooch with seed pearls that looked like it had been in a fire. Now i down to hands n knees,detector pole set as short as it can go,after 20-30 mins of nothin but brass harness rivets and copper nails(while diggin one i found a ink bottle with a weird porcelain cone lid). On my way out scannin the inside perimeter a good signal deep gave up a cool stamped grizzly.Deciding to set my machine down an dig where the most glass was, in my first shovel was a pretty old plastic Harley cop toy cycle.Goin down about 2-3ft work was rewarded with jus a pile of old broken glass an ceramic shards, nothing even close to being whole.Finally probed what sounded like sumpin intact, i dug down and saw a what looked like a bottle, but there was a big rock in the way pulling it out, revealed... !@#$%&^... just a broked base of a whisky! Then i noticed the rock in my hand was long an tubular..Later was told its a Indian pestle!Givin up I dug a couple of junk targets on the way out. One was a brass strip but a childs hand carved boat was in the hole..its really my favorite, still flecks of blue paint on it an a hole for a long gone sail..Yeah...I'll be back real soon

Attachments

• finds.JPG
    finds.JPG
    83.5 KB · Views: 966
  • cannon.JPG
    cannon.JPG
    76 KB · Views: 942
  • brooch (2).JPG
    brooch (2).JPG
    45.2 KB · Views: 933
  • griz (2).JPG
    griz (2).JPG
    46.5 KB · Views: 941
  • pestle.JPG
    pestle.JPG
    73.6 KB · Views: 945
cool finds !

Looks like a great Site !

Now that's the kind of relics I like to find. Those are some really nice finds...bet you'll be making another belly scratchin trip under the barn soon. Just be careful of live critters living there.

:wink: RR

My brother and I both had one of those Auburn (Indiana) rubber motorcycles along with other vehicles. I know they came in at least two colors red and blue because that is what we had. That was back in the mid 50's. Those toys really held up unless you bent them and then a piece might break off. The motorcycle looks to be in very nice condition and are collectible (check out completed auctions on ebay from time to time. Nice Native American stone piece you've found there. Somewhere on the old farm should be an old dump where they tossed out the bottle and other junk they didn't want. Finding that area shouldn't be too hard just hit the all metal mode. They usually didn't dump where a building was but over a hill or in a ditch on the farm. But if you can dig a little bit where in the area where you found all that stuff without undermining the barns foundations there still might be a little more to be found there. The dump area would be very high in rusted metal like old straps, horseshoes, broken cast iron stove pieces and the like. There would also be shards of broken glass and/or pottery around the area. Did you check the back of the broach to see if there were any markings. Careful cleaning it as the "pearls" can easily be dislodged from the piece. ....Thank God for superglue.

JRich

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back