Beryl and Mica

pczim

Jan 4, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all. I hope I am posting this in the correct section.

I have the option of pegging a mine of 150 hectares that has significant mica and beryl deposits. I am a gold miner and have no clue about mining either beryl or mica apart from what I have read online.

With gold I have a ready market and do not have to spend any time finding markets etc. Iā€™m not sure I have the time or resources to spend on finding markets.

My options are
A. Peg the claim and try to sell it / lease it
B. Peg the claim and try to mine it (bare in mind Iā€™m pretty much over extended in gold mining)
C. Not do anything (something I hate to do)

Do any of you have any experience in mica or beryl?
What and where are the markets?

Any ideas or suggestions will be appreciated

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Mica is a industrial mineral. Used in Industry. Aquamarine depends on quality and quantity, at least if you ask me as lapidary artist (gem cutter) and mineral collector.
You'd need to see some stuff from the spot first. But as a general tip: Don't lease it unless you have buyers or some kind of security.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
P

pczim

Jan 4, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks. There is a market for mica I just donā€™t know how hard it is to get in. Beryl I was looking more at the beryllium angle it from what I have read online seems quite a complicated process.

As a lapidary artist, how does Beryl rate? I heard you have to heat the rock first to get the rich color?

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks. There is a market for mica I just donā€™t know how hard it is to get in. Beryl I was looking more at the beryllium angle it from what I have read online seems quite a complicated process.

As a lapidary artist, how does Beryl rate? I heard you have to heat the rock first to get the rich color?

If I were you, ask possible buyers or other producers.

As for lapidary: It's popular and good colors sell quite easily - at decent prices if they are transparent.
Cabochon (included) material is cheap and not worth a lot.

Heating aquamarine (blue beryl) removes green hues from the blue. Other beryls gain nothing from heating.
Even so, it's not mandatory on any, and the difference in value is usually not huge.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions