Best Beach MD for under $700?

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
davinci,
Those of us who have been doing this a long time can get a little like those guys who golf everyday, or bowl every day, etc., we often forget what it was like just starting out. Having said this, and trying to stick within your price range, you do have a few choices.

The Sand Shark
is about as simple as it gets, lifetime warranty as well, but it is a PI machine and while experience will allow you to skip some junk targets you're still going to have to dig loads of iron, as is true with any PI machine. On super trashy beaches PI machines can render your effort near useless. Even those hunters who prefer PI machines will tell you this same thing.

An AT-Pro falls within your price range, has disc and also the ability to swap coils, but it can be a little chattery at times in the saltwater environment. The nice thing about this machine is that you can use it about anywhere as it also performs good when land hunting.

Both of these machines are popular entry level beach and water machines, the first one has no discrimination capabilities while the later does. And there's always going to be a learning curve regardless what machine you buy, even with the touted turn-on-and-go machines. It just takes time to learn any machine. Once you have put in some time you'll have a better idea of what you really want out of a machine and at what level you wish to pursue the hobby, you can always upgrade then. The main thing is to put in the time to get a good feel for all the variables.

Last edited:
OP
OP
davinci

davinci

Jan 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is some great info thank you. Of course I prefer not do dig bobby pins all day. Something where if I get a hit I know it's not iron but it's gold or silver or copper. I'm going to look more into the recommendations everyone has made. This has been a big help! Thank you all!

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can old ship coins get stuck to iron?

Yup!! Davinci, best beach machine is Minelab Excalibur if you want discrimination, and you can find nice used ones for 6-800 bucks. A lot seem to show up for sale in the winter, keep your eyes peeled. Craigslist and ebay are a couple of sites to watch.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No one mentioned the CZ-21? It's not very far out of the $700 price range and a very durable dual freq VLF machine.

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am with Gunsil here. The best beach detector for under $700 is a used Excalibur.

Mike

FLauthor

Aug 22, 2004
Minneola, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 800; Fisher F5; White Beachmaster VLF
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Good water detectors can be found on eBay.

I picked up a Minelab for $400 once, used it for a few years and resold it for $400. Had a buddy sell me his White's Amphibian for $300, I kept it for a back up or when my girl friend wants to tag along. She hunts the dry sand while I hunt the water.

S.S.Tupperware

Jul 18, 2009
Orlando
Detector(s) used
PI Dual/Coinmaster 5500d/DFX/BHID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was a like new BHID for 300 the other day with a nice long handle scoop... keep checkin CL.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
but if you dug those 100 iron ones - you would not have heard them again
Two seconds to know its iron...3 minutes spent checking 100 iron signals...how long would it have taken to dig those 100 iron targets?...hours.

Coastie59

Mar 13, 2011
NC Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal ll, ATPRO,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a brand new.........(deleted by mod, only a CM can sell)

Last edited by a moderator:

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
I would recommend a used cz20 or 21... most go from 500 to 800 dollars and they are built like a tank... few gold and your back on top of the bill.

Have a friend (MdTrapper) who purchased a new Excalibur and the rules set by his wife was you have to find one Gold a month to keep it... this was 6 months ago, last I heard he has found 14 gold and hunts weekends only. Each piece he finds he takes it straight to the pawn shop, cashes it in then gives the money to his wife. Seen him a few weeks ago, said she pushes him out the door to go hunting. We find gold and he does not she is calling us and hammering him because he did not....LOL

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would recommend a used cz20 or 21... most go from 500 to 800 dollars and they are built like a tank... few gold and your back on top of the bill. Have a friend (MdTrapper) who purchased a new Excalibur and the rules set by his wife was you have to find one Gold a month to keep it... this was 6 months ago, last I heard he has found 14 gold and hunts weekends only. Each piece he finds he takes it straight to the pawn shop, cashes it in then gives the money to his wife. Seen him a few weeks ago, said she pushes him out the door to go hunting. We find gold and he does not she is calling us and hammering him because he did not....LOL

Is that only until he's paid it off? LOL Talk about a tight leash!

MiamiFox

Aug 2, 2013
Miami Florida
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030. Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, Howie Scoop
Colt Python .357 6"
Winchester 94 30-30
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have a brand new....... just kidding.

I'm interested to even though I have the AT Pro and it works fine in the water down here. Now you guys have me thinking about a new machine and keep the Pro as a backup.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
this pic taken in 2004 - 95%+ of this gold & silver was found "digging it all" with a Whites PI Pro in the water
(other 5% found on land)
this pile was from 1995 till 2004--bought PI in 1995 but did not start getting in the water a lot till around 2000
(started using CZ20 and then CZ21s in 2005 - I use my CZ21s in all metal)
2232964459_937f5bd522_o.jpg

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would recommend a used cz20 or 21... most go from 500 to 800 dollars and they are built like a tank... few gold and your back on top of the bill.

Have a friend (MdTrapper) who purchased a new Excalibur and the rules set by his wife was you have to find one Gold a month to keep it... this was 6 months ago, last I heard he has found 14 gold and hunts weekends only. Each piece he finds he takes it straight to the pawn shop, cashes it in then gives the money to his wife. Seen him a few weeks ago, said she pushes him out the door to go hunting. We find gold and he does not she is calling us and hammering him because he did not....LOL

I got lucky few yrs back - I already had a used CZ20 and had it converted to cz21
saw a new/used cz21 one on ebay and got it for under $700 - didn't have a scratch on it - guy said he used it twice
he used it on land without the belt mount ---those who own one - known how rough that is sand swinging - its built like a tank and is
heavy like one too -it was too heavy for him and he did not find gold the first couple times out - reason for selling
- if you get one - make sure you have belt mount or chest mount to use on land - in water it is perfect balance
and weight helps in swinging - in the dry stuff - you'll need a Popeye arm to swing all day
but I Love mine - I own 3 - one for me - one for friends to borrow and one for back up

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh Boy!

If I had a mate like that, I would leave that mate at the pawn shop and run away with the gold.
On second thought, its been so long since I have seen or shouted ring in the scoop, I would just run away!

Last edited:

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
this pic taken in 2004 - 95%+ of this gold & silver was found "digging it all" with a Whites PI Pro in the water
(other 5% found on land)
this pile was from 1995 till 2004--bought PI in 1995 but did not start getting in the water a lot till around 2000
(started using CZ20 and then CZ21s in 2005 - I use my CZ21s in all metal)
View attachment 1079612

I am having a little difficulty in determining what the items are.
Would appreciate it, if you put it in a bag and sent it to me
for a betterlook!

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is one impressive pile of treasure CASPER!

pre 2000 - was a 90% land - 10% water hunter
after 2000 till around 2004 - I was about 50% water -50% land
after 2004 - till now = about 95% water - 5% land
Ive found about triple amount (if not more) of that amount shown since that pic

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread