Along the SEASHORE of NEW ENGLAND C 1690 STUART CUFFLINKS...

Whydah

Bronze Member
Feb 24, 2010
New England
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 30-30 Minelab X Calibur 1000 MineLab Equinox 800 Garret Infinium Fisher CZ 21
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
As most of you know me from the Surf Forum... I haven't been posting because of not much in the way of erosion here in Mass... so I have done what everyone else has done... Went to the fields.. Glad I did... about a month or so ago, I had the opportunity to do some field hunting... Went to an area that dates back to the early Colonial Days... got a few Indian Head Pennies and a Conn. Copper that is just perfect.... and these CUFFLINKS...They are Sterling and VERY RARE.. Although I have seen only one other pair here on the net, and have met the man that found them. He was very informative of my pair......His were found in RI...Mine were found from an area that the PILGRIMS lived, and harvested their fields..Can't even tell you the feeling I had when I found out what exactly I had when I got back to the truck...These were found about 13 inches deep. They are very rare and don't come around very often... Place of Creation,Object Place, England or America, Height x width x depth: 1.2 x 1.2 x 0.9 cm (1/2 x 1/2 x 3/8 in.) Sterling Silver, Quartz, 24 K Gold, and Textile... This is 1/2 pair of square Sterling Silver and quartz cuff links, each composed to two ornamental buttons connected by a figure eight silver link. Underneath the faceted crystal is a fine gold twisted cord or wire with a trefoil design covering a small square of dark woven textile mounted on foil which has been painted light Blue. All I can say is you just NEVER know what your going to find...Keep digging...:) DSC_0002.JPG DSC_0003.JPG DSC_0008.JPG DSC_0010.JPG DSC_0012.JPG DSC_0015.JPG DSC_0019.JPG DSC_0022.JPG Field Hunt (2).JPG Field Hunt (4).JPG Field Hunt (5).JPG Field Hunt (7).JPG

Upvote 0

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find.

Showtime2385

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2013
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett AT-Pro, Garrett Pro-pointer-AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet cufflinks!

bootybandit

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2014
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21,
Tecnetics Omega 8000,
T-Rex 9.5"
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Amazing find! Congrats!

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cufflinks are way cool, but I seriously doubt they belonged to a minimalist puritan pilgrim. Those folk, (some of them ancestors in your area) eschewed fancy trappings and embraced a very plain lifestyle. That cufflink would have come from a very wealthy person if you are correct about the construction materials. How about a pic of the perfect CT copper??

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Some real nice treasure Whydah!! :thumbsup:

It would take all the water in the world disappearing before I would go back to land hunting...
What is going on up there .. we sure miss your great beach finds!!

fsa46

Jan 10, 2011
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Whites DFPI, 2 @ Excalibur II, 2 @ Sovereign GT w/ 10" & 8" Tornado coils, 2@ 10x12 SEF coils all on their own rods, Whites MXT Pro , 2@ Garrett Pro Pointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on an absolutely AWESOME find, Whydah.

Conditions aren't the best down here either and like you, dirt digging will take care of the withdrawal until conditions get better.

OP
OP
Whydah

Whydah

Bronze Member
Feb 24, 2010
New England
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 30-30 Minelab X Calibur 1000 MineLab Equinox 800 Garret Infinium Fisher CZ 21
Primary Interest:
Cufflinks are way cool, but I seriously doubt they belonged to a minimalist puritan pilgrim. Those folk, (some of them ancestors in your area) eschewed fancy trappings and embraced a very plain lifestyle. That cufflink would have come from a very wealthy person if you are correct about the construction materials. How about a pic of the perfect CT copper??
I agree, they were simple and plain people.... But they also wore their Sunday best as often as possible....even out in the fields...although this is a cufflink, it also may have been used by a woman to keep her silk scarf together...the woman would ware them in the back of their necks as to look as good from the back as they did from the front.... Who knows? I am still trying to figure what the initials are inside...looks like it may have been a capital D & A any guesses?

OP
OP
Whydah

Whydah

Bronze Member
Feb 24, 2010
New England
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
October 13 2014 (7) - Copy.JPG

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
well isn't it just peachy that you not only find great stuff on the beaches, but also find wonderful stuff seemingly anywhere you stand.
I still jealously hate you!

OP
OP
Whydah

Whydah

Bronze Member
Feb 24, 2010
New England
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Jeff lots of study, hard work, many hours of searching, talking with people, securing areas to hunt, knocking on doors, and putting yourself in the rite places at the rite time all add up to good finds...oh and a little luck don't hurt either...get out there and find some goodies...whydah

OP
OP
Whydah

Whydah

Bronze Member
Feb 24, 2010
New England
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Stuart crystals are a form of 17th and 18th century mourning jewelry. Stuart crystals get their names from the House of Stuart. The crystals were pieces of political jewelry that commemorate the execution of King Charles I in 1649. The first jewels were made from locks of King Charles’ hair preserved under faceted rock crystal (quartz), often decorated with his initials or miniature portrait. They were worn by Royalists who opposed the king’s execution on the grounds that as God’s chosen leader, Charles I was above the law and his death was not justice, but murder. Later, the crystals were adopted by Jacobites who opposed the deposition of James II and the Stuart monarchy in 1688. Since supporting fallen monarchs was dangerous, many Stuart crystals are small and were worn in secret. However, as the 17th century continued, Stuart crystals evolved into mementos mori and generalized commemorative jewelry. They remained popular into the 18th century until larger, more neoclassical jewelry came into fashion.
Description
Stuart crystals come in three main forms: slides, rings, and earrings. Original Stuart crystals were rings or ribbon slides, but many were later converted into other types of jewelry. Stuart crystals almost always contain hair, often woven so finely it appears like cloth.

In addition to hair, a Stuart crystal may contain gold initials, filigree designs, colored foil, portrait miniatures, and enameled symbols. Skeletons, skulls, doves, angels, cherubs or putti, and flowers are the most common type of symbolic charms found inside Stuart crystals

MiamiFox

Aug 2, 2013
Miami Florida
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030. Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, Howie Scoop
Colt Python .357 6"
Winchester 94 30-30
Primary Interest:
Amazing find I voted banner. Can't tell what is in gold but I cropped the first photo and sharpened it a little. Not sure if it helps or not.

cuff links.JPG

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions