Best "Bellows Type" Drywasher

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Rdg Sluicer

Dec 11, 2012
Redding, Ca
Detector(s) used
BGT Prospector

BGT Super Mini

Angus MacKirk Explorer

South Yuba Mining Highbanker
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've been spending lots of time in the desert these last few years swinging, figured it was time to bump up my drywashing program, I already have a Royal but I think I'd also like a bellows type that they don't currently make. Any info concerning this subject (including set-up and technique) would be very much appreciated. Thanks, Rob

Thompson seems to make a nice product and he does make a bellows. Just Google Thompson Drywashers.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

Seden

Jan 28, 2008
I have 2 Thompson drywashers. The first he made was out of wood like Frank Camps which was kinda heavy for any long hauling so then he came out with the aluminum one-Bingo! Sold the wood one so fast and many years a happy camper and it keeps the fine gold quite well. I like it because unlike my Gas Blower, it doesn't announce my hotspot here in the LA area. The gas blowers are better at retaining gold and best used in the desert where the chunky gold is to be had and there you're not worried about the USFS or noisy people.

Randy

Joe Z

Aug 18, 2012
New River AZ
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug 2,
Whites Goldmaster GMT,
Viper Vac, Tesoro Vaquero
and a 30 year old Radio Shack Detector :)
Primary Interest:
Other
I have the Keene DW12 Volt Puffer....and while it's not a bad machine at all, if given the choice on new i would take the Thompson Puffer because of the Aluminum Structure/trays....the Keene has a composite structure body (it seems strong) .
Joe

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I much prefer a puffer. Lot's quieter and some can process almost as much as a blower. Less dust is a plus. If you set them up right the recovery is very good.

The Keene is tough as nails and has good recovery but it doesn't process much material for the weight and size.

I haven't used one of the Thompson puffers but I've heard they are good.

My favorite for volume and recovery is the Beck. Big, wood, heavy and no longer made but they will work two men to death. Definitely the hardest working of the puffers and the feed mechanism is the best in the industry. If you ever see one for sale grab it. They are rare as hen's teeth in good working order.

Second up of the ones I've used would have to be the Promack DW. Expensive and light with a sealed drive motor that gets the most from a battery. This is the one I would consider carrying because of the weight (~ 20 lbs) and the processing capability. Not as well made as the Keene puffer but it cranks through the volume.

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a Beck . It was pretty old when I got it and a bit beat up, but man could that guy eat the dirt. It's in pieces now . I just may do a rebuild job on the ol boy.

Joe Z

Aug 18, 2012
New River AZ
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug 2,
Whites Goldmaster GMT,
Viper Vac, Tesoro Vaquero
and a 30 year old Radio Shack Detector :)
Primary Interest:
Other
X2 for Franks. Great little drywasher.

Frank makes a really good well respected drywasher but if i'm not mistaken he doesn't make the larger 12 volt bellows type anymore just the very small hand operated one for sampling. I hope i am wrong and maybe someone knows better?
Joe

OP
OP
H

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for all the great info...Rob

shovel78

May 30, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a Thompson 12 volt puffer and love it. If I ever had to buy another, it would be a Thompson.

jair

Sep 6, 2013
Las Vegas
Detector(s) used
Whites and cheep bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I also have a Thompson and would not part with it . I have a back pack frame for it .

jair

Sep 6, 2013
Las Vegas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have a Thompson 12 volt puffer and love it. If I ever had to buy another, it would be a Thompson.
I to have one and wouldn't get rid of it . Also have a big keen .

drywAUsher

Tenderfoot
Feb 13, 2014
AZ
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Bought a used 12V Keene puffer a few years ago and would highly recommend it. Built like a tank, gets the fine gold, and will run alot of material. Sold it because it did not meet my needs - too heavy, bulky, and more capacity than I needed.

Have owned a 12V Thompson for a couple years now and I love it. Lightweight aluminum but plenty sturdy, compact, gets the fine gold, and easy on battery life. The only drawback is that replacing the riffle tray cloth or bellows could be a problem due to all the pop rivets.

OP
OP
H

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just ordered 2 Thompsons(12volt bellows/puffer), very nice people. Hopefully I'll get in a couple desert trips before it turns into a broiler.

jair

Sep 6, 2013
Las Vegas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just ordered 2 Thompsons(12volt bellows/puffer), very nice people. Hopefully I'll get in a couple desert trips before it turns into a broiler.
I'm sure you won't be disappointed . Even though I have my large keen puffer I still will not get rid of my Thompson . It's grate for sampling , back packing ect. And does a very find and dependable job . I use a battery out of a car jumper box I took out . They are completely sealed and small enough to back pack . And I can work it all week end long .

OP
OP
H

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I went back and forth between the Thompson and Promack Promaster and the Thompson seemed just a bit more portable which for my style is key. I was wondering, do you classify at all or just shovel onto the hopper screen and any preference on the slow or fast speed setting....Thanks

jair

Sep 6, 2013
Las Vegas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I went back and forth between the Thompson and Promack Promaster and the Thompson seemed just a bit more portable which for my style is key. I was wondering, do you classify at all or just shovel onto the hopper screen and any preference on the slow or fast speed setting....Thanks
I have done it both ways but I try to keep with 1/4 inch or smaller and it works best for me . But out back packing I'll just feed right into it . Just have to clean it more to keep the rock build up down and the roots out of the screen .

Kingclean

May 29, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have always been fascinated by the puffer style drywashers. I have never owned one though. I've watched a lot of them operate in the field and I always had my doubts about how well they worked. Obviously with so many people swearing by them and using them they must work pretty good. My thoughts were that each time the bellows is taking air in, for that brief moment the dirt is no longer suspended on air currents so the pay dirt is still being fed with no air going through it until the bellows pumps the next blast of air up. Something about the constant air flow AND vibration from gas blowers just seems like it would be so much more effective than the bellows. I have a friend who makes bellows models that are really nice, I've worked several times with him using the bellows he made. It is a hand crank and has a nice wide tray so the dirt can really spread out when it hits the screen, I think that makes for much better recovery. You can pour about two buckets in the hopper and then adjust your feed rate, and just start cranking. The crank is on a (flywheel?) so it is a nice smooth crank and doesn't wear you out, although it is a good workout if you do it for hours. It caught gold very nicely, but I still had some very small doubts about what we were losing just because I'm kind of skeptic of the bellows style. He calls his the "zephyr" and they are really nice. If I ever get one it will be a zephyr without a doubt. I will try to get some pics of one up sometime. Last time I spoke with him he had been in his shop for a few weeks putting some new ones together so there may be some on the market now.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread