Best find of the year - 14 KT chain

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
Hello!

I had a vacation day today, preparing to go on a trip this weekend so I got out early and hit a local schoolyard. The first place I went couldn't be searched. They just put a foot of fresh woodchips over all the play areas.

So I went to another school in the same school district that I had researched and had directions to. This one was located off any main roads in the middle of a subdivision.

I detected two swing areas and was finding some things, not a lot but enough to hold my interest... coins and trinkets and A LOT of trash. I also found a nice heart shaped charm that looked sterling and had two pretty red stones in it, so I was satisfied knowing I didn't get skunked on keepers. I hit the third swing area and a monkey bar area and found almost nothing in these two areas, maybe two dimes and a penny. There was two more areas to hit with play structures in them. As I moved to the first one, I wasn't feeling real confident but I trudged on. Right away, I dug a couple coins and found some pieces of a junk pendant, then an earring. Then, swinging next to a balance beam thingy, that's only four inches off the ground or whatever, I got a large strong signal and wow, located just below the woodchip surface a really nice 14KT chain shined up to greet me. I couldn't believe it! I never find hardly anything next to those balance beam things. It's in perfect shape, not broken and was not clasped together. It's 16 inches long and fairly thick, hallmarked 14KT. This is my favorite find this year now and the best chain I ever found. It's on my neck right now! It just goes to show you, never give up and don't cut corners because you just never know unless you try.

While I was finishing that area, a group of tots came out for play time as they must have a summer day care at this school, so I couldn't detect the last area, but I didn't care as I was on cloud nine. So I shut down and headed for the car. As I was going by the tot lot, the ladies said hi and I started talking to them. I showed them all the trash and sharp implements I pulled out of the play areas and some of the coins and the Heart shaped silver pendant. Well, the kids were very interested in what I was doing and asking what that thing I had was (my detector). So I ended up going inside the tot lot and playing with the kiddies for about 45 minutes. They were all 3, 4 and 5 year olds and I let them each have a turn. I unplugged my earphones to let the speaker work and let them grab the bottom of my detector and move the coil over some coins I buried in the woodchips. So they each got to "find" a coin and I let them keep their find of course. It was a lot of fun actually but I don't think they really understood the whole concept. Anyway, it was a very positive experience for me, lots of smiles, and certainly something different for them compared to their normal play time. One of the ladies said she was going to buy a detector this weekend. She said that she always wanted to do it and getting this firsthand experience today made her want to get one now. I gave her some info and I hope she gets one.

I detected for two hours and had the two keepers I explained above. I also found two other junk chains, a Tupac dogtag, and a bunch of trinkets junk jewelry along with $3.50 in clad.

Also, I noticed on the little girls shoes were jewelry fobs so that must be about half of these little pendant looking trinkets I keep finding. Must be a new style or fad?

I feel like one of the luckiest people around and am so happy right now with this new piece of jewelry I can wear.

Thanks for reading, sorry it's so long.
Best of luck to you all! HH!!

Smiles!
BDoo

Attachments

• 8-18 finds 2.jpg
    8-18 finds 2.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 666
  • 14KT Chain.jpg
    14KT Chain.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 677
  • Sterling Charm.jpg
    Sterling Charm.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 638
  • Charm Back.jpg
    Charm Back.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 637
Upvote 0

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Great job on the finds and introducing the tots to metal detecting. What a great day for you. That Gold chain would make my day!

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
Well done, BDoo... you've discovered the missing links! Seriously, that chain is awesome and then some.

Congrats!
PBK

bomber

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2006
DUI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i want whatever kind of machine u hunt with

Green1

Silver Member
Mar 20, 2006
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Mxt 6x10 coil Massachusetts
i agree with bomber i'll take two please !!!!!!!!! nice stuff bob !!! a gold chain to wear yourself is AWESOME,,,, congrads buddy......... ;D ;D ;D

rick,,,,

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great story and a VERY nice necklace!! Now I'm excited to go out and hunt again this afternoon - I think *cough cough* I'm starting to feel *sneeze* *sniffle* *cough* a cold coming on, I better head home from work early :)

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Congrats on the great gold chain.

Looks like the one I'm wearing.

Golds up so high that any weight equals money.

HH Jer

snorton750

Jul 28, 2006
Auburn, Wa.
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic ID
Well Boobydoo, you did two great services. One to the hobby, by taking the time to show the kids what you were doing and letting them "play", you did a bit of PR that couldn't be equelled with many line-inches in the newspaper. Also picking up the junk and talking to the teachers you may have earned the right to MD at a later date on some site that now is off limits. thanks very much for your service.
And by the way GREAT CHAIN. Stan...

PS for the nitpickers, the second service was taking the potentally dangerous trash out of the chips!
I thought at first that this would be self evident. hi hi lol lol

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent find Bdoo! You might find that the chain is worth $90.00 or more just in scrap gold, nice find and HH, Mike

OP
OP
Boobydoo

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
Cubfan64 said:
Great story and a VERY nice necklace!! Now I'm excited to go out and hunt again this afternoon - I think *cough cough* I'm starting to feel *sneeze* *sniffle* *cough* a cold coming on, I better head home from work early :)

Hi CF!

Now, this is why I post on TNet!
Hoping to provide some motivation and inspiration
to a reader that may be looking for that sort of thing.
The way I see it, almost anything is possible,
you just have to have some faith and luck.
Of course, knowing your equipment,
researching, and a lot of hard work helps too.

You have totally made my day with this comment, thank you.
Wow, what a day!!!

Big smiles!
BDoo

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
BDoo,

very nice finds. Another good day, heck a
very good day.

Nice work with the small ones, always helps to
promote the hobby.

have a good un..................

OP
OP
Boobydoo

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
gypsyheart said:
Great job on the finds and introducing the tots to metal detecting. What a great day for you. That Gold chain would make my day!

Hey, I had as much fun as they did.
Thanks for the visit and yes, it made my day!

Smiles!
BDoo

OP
OP
Boobydoo

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
Hi Stud, Ken, DF, Jeremy, rvb, and Mike

Thanks all of you for the friendly comments,
I doo appreciate it a lot...inspirational!

Smiles!
BDoo

OP
OP
Boobydoo

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
PBK said:
Well done, BDoo... you've discovered the missing links! Seriously, that chain is awesome and then some.

Congrats!
PBK

Great to see you here PBK,
I am honored by your nice comment.
Thank you!!

Smiles!
BDoo

thadious

Jul 13, 2006
Hemet, Ca
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT, Garret Ace 250, At Pro
:) :) :)BDOO your are a credit to our hobby. I love your storeys on your hunts and finds and your enthusiasm. You have given me great encouragement since I joined this site. I am glad for you that you found the gold chain. It shows good karma is working for you. By the way I too always clean out the tot areas at any parks I hunt and pick up all sharp objects, glass and anything else I think could harm the kids. Looks like you have created at least one more td'er in the teacher. I am sure you enjoyed teaching the tots about metal detectors. Have a good day and HH Ted :) :) :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread