What's new

Best finds yet, honey hole

bblaha

Hero Member
Joined
Jul 25, 2012
Messages
533
Reaction score
157
Golden Thread
0
Went to my usual creek full of geofacts and heart breakers, went to a different branch this time though that was much smaller than the main creek, walked about 100 yards and found a pot hole in the creek bottom, digging through the sand I found this Ohio dovetail, my best find yet. It has some weird white moss or something on it though? Looks glazed almost. Weird. And then I found this knife or scraper, made from similiar material as the point and then found a chopper or hand axe. All found in Cincinnati Ohio, if you can date any of these it would be very much appreciated
 

Attachments

  • image-1071137777.webp
    image-1071137777.webp
    23.4 KB · Views: 179
  • image-1105375762.webp
    image-1105375762.webp
    20.1 KB · Views: 181
  • image-2290418359.webp
    image-2290418359.webp
    24.1 KB · Views: 162
  • image-2219481390.webp
    image-2219481390.webp
    33.9 KB · Views: 180
Upvote 0
Dove tail
 

Attachments

  • image-3836655409.webp
    image-3836655409.webp
    53.5 KB · Views: 222
Real nice finds! The material of that point is beautiful! And that looks like a small celt. Funny you gave better photos of the cobble than the point. That might be some kind of tool but can you please take a close up of the point?
 
Oh yeah.. that looks like a lost lake to me not a dove tail... 8000 - 10000 b.p. early archaic. Of course I could be wrong. Lets see what others say. Even if it is a dove tail "St. Charles" its still about 5000 to 9000 years old. Early to middle archaic.
 
Last edited:
I put a ton of photos of the point up at first but non of them uploaded and I was in a hurry to leave so I just put a quick one on haha. I will put better pics on when I get home though. Should I try and take the mossy gloss stuff off or leave it (sorry for not knowing lol)
 
Don't remove anything your not sure of. If its soft like moss then its probably algae. Then of course remove it. If its hard like patina or calcium deposit from the water then no.
 
You did very good. I havent found a good point yet this yr, just knifes that look like points. I think your first one is what is called a Round nosed knife cause it has a hafting spot on one side. Some call that a fluted tool. The chopper is probably a core or spall which I believe is the same thing. A Core is what is left over after they took all the good stuff off. If it is a core it is still a artifact if you wish to keep it (I have some) I only keep the good looking ones. You did great!
 
Thanks guys! Here's some more pics of the point
 

Attachments

  • image-2698793864.webp
    image-2698793864.webp
    19.8 KB · Views: 165
  • image-3326590459.webp
    image-3326590459.webp
    13.9 KB · Views: 165
  • image-4182672866.webp
    image-4182672866.webp
    13.2 KB · Views: 160
  • image-1620174096.webp
    image-1620174096.webp
    11.7 KB · Views: 156
  • image-97059021.webp
    image-97059021.webp
    13.9 KB · Views: 146
Gator Boy I'm guessing it's calcium deposits, it's wherever there is a crack, chip or line in the rock
 
It stays. Nice find!
 
Do u hunt alone?
 
Yes I do. Usually before I go to jiu jitsu
 
First, that's not a Dovetail. Second, any chance someone is messing with you and threw that down for you to find? That looks an awful lot like the types that are massed produced in India and sold at rock shops. You're pictures don't show it very well, but that's what I see.
 
How can I take a picture to show it more well?
 
Does it have any grinding on the base? Feel the base and it should feel smooth if it is ground.

Does your camera have a macro setting? If so use that and try to get some better lighting. I'd like to see some better pictures of the base and the notches.
 
You are welcome sir. Get some pics for Grim he is real good on the Dove's.
 
I'll take some tomorow in natural sun light. It's hard because if I use flash it's just as bad as if it's dark. And no it doesn't hve that setting I just use my phone but I'm sure I could find someone who would lend me one. I found this in a creek I honestly didnt buy it somewhere, I don't sell any artifacts I just collect and if you look on here none of my past finds have been too impressive this is my best yet
 
get your money back if u bought them, i know u claim to found it, but dont let people full u. we were once all in your shoes, if u dont have a place to llok i will gladly meet u and show u the ropes as many have done for me buddy.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom