Tesoro compadre
Whites v3i
AT Pro
Teknetics Gamma 6000
Bounty Hunter Camo LS
Bounty Hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Coil arrived like this to me, damaged in transit, usps insurance covered the coil, now I have a spare 11 to mess around with. The plan was to repair or reinforce the ear or cut the other, grind flat and mount a new single piece ear on it and use it as a backup or water coil.
Any suggestions? The break was clean and it will actually sit back on there and fit near perfectly like a puzzle piece..
Epoxy? Glass and resin? Glue? Cut the other out and use an aftermarket earset?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Joe hunter

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2013
Up state NY
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus ,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know the best fix but that must have been a major bummer and then pretty cool a free coil awesome.you could sell it at an extreme discount to a fellow deus user that has only a 9 in coil.like me for instance.i bought mine before they offered the option of the 11in coil.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would try Epoxy but obviously a high stress point and little surface area to work with so chances of success or of it lasting long are not very good. But worth a shot since you have nothing to lose with the freebie.

jadocs

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I would try and reattach it.

Indiana Mark

Jul 28, 2016
Northern Indiana
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Safari
Fisher F75+
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is what I would use-
PLASTEX, PLASTIC REPAIR KITS, FIX CRACKS, REPAIR PLASTIC

I would attach a lower shaft to get the piece EXACTLY where it should be (no matter how clean the break). Then apply a small amount of the above material in a couple of places (think tack weld), allow to cure for a day or 2. Remove lower shaft. Using a dremel, v-out the crack opposite the side you 'tack welded' and apply repair material. Again, allow to cure a couple of days then repeat the v-out and apply repair material to the side you originally 'tack welded'. Allow to cure.
If you like overkill as I do, you could even apply more repair material to build up over repair for more surface area reinforcement.
As tempting as hardware store epoxies/jb weld/etc. most of the time they simply do not work. Plastex is the real deal.
Your results may vary, as I have no idea what material the coils are made of.

Hope this helps!

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, NOX 600, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it were mine I'd buy a lower shaft, set the most ideal angle as possible and epoxy the hell out of it. Obviously you can never change the angle again but it would probably hold.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it were mine I'd buy a lower shaft, set the most ideal angle as possible and epoxy the hell out of it. Obviously you can never change the angle again but it would probably hold.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I was kind of thinking the same thing as an alternative. Or try epoxying the ear and duct tape for support between the coil and the lower shaft. Not pretty, but functional.

OP
OP
CoilToTheSoil

CoilToTheSoil

Mar 14, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Sovereign xs2a Pro
Minelab Sovereign GT
Minelab X-Terra 705
Minelab Explorer SE
Minelab e-trac
Tesoro compadre
Whites v3i
AT Pro
Teknetics Gamma 6000
Bounty Hunter Camo LS
Bounty Hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good ideas all! I'll have to check out plastex and decide whether or not I'm up for tackling the project lol

It was a definite bummer to receive the coil, see the box damage and hear the rattling. But after a few weeks it was nice to get the refund and even have the post office tell me that they didn't want it back! :)

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Like a broken guitar head, I'd put some CF pins between the breaks. Then do the plastic weld.

USERNAME IS VALID

Feb 27, 2016
Norcal
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II
XP DEUS
TESORO VAQUERO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
See how much XP would charge to fix it. JB weld works very well, it has a small amount of metal in it so they say but it had no effect on my pinpointer. The stuff is strong!

Last edited:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
See how much XP would charge to fix it. JB weld works very well, it has a small amount of metal in it so they say but it had no effect on my pinpointer. The stuff is strong!

No harm in asking, but I am pretty sure XP would just scrap it since no repair would bring it back to factory specs in terms of strength and durability. I could be wrong though.

USERNAME IS VALID

Feb 27, 2016
Norcal
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II
XP DEUS
TESORO VAQUERO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is there any salvageable electronics in there? Seems like there would be because they're so expensive. I have no idea.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is there any salvageable electronics in there? Seems like there would be because they're so expensive. I have no idea.

There might be, certainly the battery on a new coil and the circuit card/components may be salvageable if it is not potted in place. But the coil windings are probably the most labor intensive aspect of the coil (though they are wound by machine).

jhittle

Jun 7, 2016
Vancouver WA
Detector(s) used
â—„ Minelab CTX 3030
â—„ XP Deus
â—„ Minelab Equinox 800
â—„ Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
another option is to use this https://www.metaldetectingauction.com/listing/xp-deus-13by-11-coil-balance-adapter/104255 as a base to glue the broken tab back on it would change the balance slightly but might provide a stronger base for fixing the broken tab...

DSCF8335-500x500.JPG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread