Best Silver Coin I Ever Found

BobPA

Feb 18, 2007
Williamsport, Home of Little League Baseball
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, JW Fisher Pulse 8X
I found a 1950 Roosevelt dime today. It's the best silver coin I have ever found because it is the ONLY one that I have ever found. I have only been detecting for about six months and have found just under 1300 clad coins but no silver coins until today.

I have detected this lot (About 75' x75') about five times in the past and only found clad. It has been so dry here that the ground was like rock and today was the first time I picked up the detector in about a month. Last week it rained for three days for a total of about three inches and the soil is now damp. I know I have been over the area that I found the dime many times. Could it be that the rain helped make the signal stronger? Are signals better in damp soil versus dry soil?

Attachments

• IMG_1953.JPG
    IMG_1953.JPG
    65.3 KB · Views: 1,096
  • IMG_1949.JPG
    IMG_1949.JPG
    60.3 KB · Views: 1,094
  • IMG_1950.JPG
    IMG_1950.JPG
    55.4 KB · Views: 1,073
Upvote 0
Way to go, Bob! You're in a perfect area to find some great old coins. 8)

I haven't tested the wet/dry ground theory, but I have heard over and over again that wet ground conditions make for better signals.

Have you gone to any Little League World Series games? :)

congrats on your first silver! im happy anytime i come home with some silver! ;)

WTG That is what I have been told about wet soil.If it is too wet it is had to find coins. H.H.

Congratulations!

It's great to find a little silver, I hope you find plenty more.

JCH

Isn't it neat that when you find silver you know immediately (most of the time) because of the way it looks lying in the dirt all shiny and nice.

Congrats on the sweet first silver Bob!! May it be the first of many. Best of luck to you!! Keep digging and sharing!

Smiles!
BDoo

lol, you guys & gals make it tough on someone waiting on the delivery of a new MD. I'll be lucky if I have any fingernails left by the time it (hopefully) arrives next week.

Nice finds!

Smitty

Congrats on first silver! Moist ground offers better signals and more depth. HH, Mike

Bavaria Mike said:
Congrats on first silver! Moist ground offers better signals and more depth. HH, Mike

I agree! Hunting after a rain is the way to go. Dug six silver dimes this summer out of an area that I thought I had pounded to death. The only difference? The wet ground.

Cheers!

Buckleboy

Congrats on that first silver! I'm convinced the wet ground helps, though I don't know the science behind it. Wait till you find a Merc, or a Barber; you'll really be pumped!

hey bob,

ya have to start somewhere, you'll always remember your first ;)

silver is cool to find isn't it ?

vp

Nice job on your first silver!

congrats on the silver ! i got close to silver today 1965 rosie, ;)

Yep. I think hunting after a rain is much better. Wish we could get some rain here sometime this year! :P :D

Congrats on that first, Bob!!

Nana :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back