pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
A gun (or any weapon) is worthless if it's a drive by shooting. That seems to be the norm in Providence these days. And if you walk around with camo on, I'm sure they'll go out of their way to end your life, pepperj.
Like I said....
Yes the old

View attachment 2082408
and the new

View attachment 2082409

System is working great for the punks.
Anymore said about that one can't say on the open forum.
I don't need to walk around your hood.
The rural is peaceful now, I fought my battles living on the streets of many a city for many years.
I still say this today:
A city is a city no matter where that city lays.
Meaning they're all the same basically.
BTW the camo was a ha,ha.
I know you have an issue with it, but so did my mother and blue jeans. 🤣

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know it was meant to be funny. Meant being the key word. We'll have to let this one go. You and I will never see eye to eye on anything. That's just the way it is sometimes. Happy hunting.

modiji8811

May 8, 2023
sunrise and sunset for me. thats when i see them moving and harvested all my buck. there is no "set time" because sr and ss are region/day dependent

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some years ago I was detecting in a old park near Akron Ohio. Three big young guys came up to me and asked me how mych my geiger counter was worth. I had purchased the Detector less then a month ago. It was a brand new CTX 3030 these young guys looked a bit dangerous. Thinking i might be in trouble i quickly said i got it on sale for $25.00 Then one of the fellows said to the other ones NOT WORTH IT !!!! and left me alone. Say what you want to say about me but i was scared. I went back to my car and got out of there. I no longer go to new places i do not know very well ANYMORE> Can you imaging what would have happened if i had said $2,800 ?

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would say the best time to hunt a GHETTO is then the US ARMY has a circle around you while you detect !!!

Heavygold4me

Jan 27, 2020
South mississippi
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nox 800 , Nox 600, Excalibur II, manticore
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
To me it’s just not worth it to hunt areas like that. So if I miss out on a couple of wheat Pennie’s or a silver dime so be it. Before I retired I drove through the hood twice a day never had a problem but I did keep my eyes open. I always figured the people that would have caused me trouble had just gone to bed when I went through in the morning and weren’t up yet on my way back home.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To me it’s just not worth it to hunt areas like that. So if I miss out on a couple of wheat Pennie’s or a silver dime so be it. Before I retired I drove through the hood twice a day never had a problem but I did keep my eyes open. I always figured the people that would have caused me trouble had just gone to bed when I went through in the morning and weren’t up yet on my way back home.
Your statement is SO TRUE !!!

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I would venture to say the 5th of NEVER! This is of course if you enjoy the simple things such as Living, Breathing, and being Above ground. I would love to return to my old hunting ground in West Atlanta, but this is the very same reasons that I stay away. My life would be about as long lived as a sand flea on a Marine Recruit going through boot camp aboard the Parris Island Depot. It's a shame too because I know there are still relics there, but not worth losing your life over.

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/ Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Ace 400/ Garrett Pro Pointer 2 / Garrett Z-Lynk AT Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
NEVER ! There's large, old playground in an old neighborhood not far from me that I'd love to hunt but I wouldn't go there ever because of it's location.

Last edited:

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/ Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Ace 400/ Garrett Pro Pointer 2 / Garrett Z-Lynk AT Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't hunt ghettos , too far to drive . I don't think pull tabs and can slaw is worth the risk. but if you insist on going , go at 7 am , that's when all the bad guys are on their way to work.:laughing7:
You mean to say that the bad guys have jobs?

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would venture to say the 5th of NEVER! This is of course if you enjoy the simple things such as Living, Breathing, and being Above ground. I would love to return to my old hunting ground in West Atlanta, but this is the very same reasons that I stay away. My life would be about as long lived as a sand flea on a Marine Recruit going through boot camp aboard the Parris Island Depot. It's a shame too because I know there are still relics there, but not worth losing your life over.
Totally agree, Kevin.

nomad 11

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2009
nomads land
Detector(s) used
any tector i can get my hands on
thatsa ridiculous statement. but it caught my eye. so ? here are my two cents. never unless you like extreme excitement. unless you have a gang of your own to form a circle around you and they are all armed and protect you like you are a god. the pocket change and maybe a few pieces of silver ar not worth any pain. what am i saying ? not worth any more pain. ok there i said it ! i know it wasnt worth 2 cents but oh well.

detectorcowboy

Nov 30, 2009
Florida
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800, & Fisher CZ3D
I have hunted the ghettos a few times.
I stay on the outside areas never ventured into the heart of it.
I also found so much trash I gave up said to hell with this.
If there was a trash can every 20 feet, they will still throw the trash on the ground.

Last edited:

plehbah2

May 8, 2023
Colorado mountains
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, XP Deus II
I used to hunt and dig privies in the ghetto quite a bit, and I had lots of problems doing it. I was always minding my own business and the trouble would happen unexpectedly. On a number of occasions it was extremely dangerous and got very hairy. You cannot count on other people in the community to intervene or call the police if you get into trouble, you will be on your own.

None of that is guaranteed to happen if you go there once, or a couple of times. If you keep doing it you will wind up with lots of war stories so long as you do not get shot.

I lived and I learned a lot about myself in the process. I found out that I was fortunate to have a God given gift for defeating evil men, but like I said earlier- it was very dangerous and hairy. You should know how to fight, and I am not talking about boxing. The people you will encounter are ignorant, violent, aggressive, resentful, selfish, and you should never trust anyone or anything while you are out there attracting attention with your metal detector.

I did find lots of good trade tokens, and lots of nice soda pop bottles from the 1880s and 1890s, which is why I was there. If you do go, Godspeed and good luck! Never let them get you on the ground, and go after the ring leaders first.

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I used to hunt and dig privies in the ghetto quite a bit, and I had lots of problems doing it. I was always minding my own business and the trouble would happen unexpectedly. On a number of occasions it was extremely dangerous and got very hairy. You cannot count on other people in the community to intervene or call the police if you get into trouble, you will be on your own.

None of that is guaranteed to happen if you go there once, or a couple of times. If you keep doing it you will wind up with lots of war stories so long as you do not get shot.

I lived and I learned a lot about myself in the process. I found out that I was fortunate to have a God given gift for defeating evil men, but like I said earlier- it was very dangerous and hairy. You should know how to fight, and I am not talking about boxing. The people you will encounter are ignorant, violent, aggressive, resentful, selfish, and you should never trust anyone or anything while you are out there attracting attention with your metal detector.

I did find lots of good trade tokens, and lots of nice soda pop bottles from the 1880s and 1890s, which is why I was there. If you do go, Godspeed and good luck! Never let them get you on the ground, and go after the ring leaders first.
Go after the ringleaders first? Are you planning to fight the whole crowd?

plehbah2

May 8, 2023
Colorado mountains
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, XP Deus II
Go after the ringleaders first? Are you planning to fight the whole crowd?

There are classes of predators and criminals in the really bad parts of town, which are often also the oldest. The street junkies are usually harmless except for theft. I always had my problems with gang members, and they always start it, so the time and place is of their choosing, and they will always make sure to outnumber you. So, in answer to your question, yes, it is likely the guy will have to fight more than one person if the SHTF. The criminals never attack you if they think they are going to lose. If the guy spends lots of time in the really crappy parts of town these are the realities.

He will be happily or nervously detecting away, he might even have some old pennies and a Seated dime in his pocket or be digging a nice 1880s privy along the alleyway, and suddenly the SHTF. That's how it works. If he is acquiescent and goes along with the criminals, they will be full of contempt for him and the SHTF anyways. It's best to take the leader of the group first, and the lackeys will run away, but he can't lose, and it had better be very quick.

It's probably not worth it to detect the bad part of town. Dirty pennies and old soda bottles aren't worth life or safety. I did it because I have my own peculiar way, and like I said earlier- a God given gift to protect myself better than most.

Hbot37

Bronze Member
Jul 7, 2022
North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Reading this thread makes me realize that a lot of you don't get out very much! I have had some of my best hunting days in "ghettos" simply because I think most people who metal detect seem to live in constant fear of inner cities. I would recommend going in the morning if you choose a time. Sun-up until noon is usually pretty quiet anywhere you'll go. People on this forum make it sound like you'll get mugged and beaten as soon as you pull out a detector inside the city limits, but as someone who lived in the city for a long time and still hunts in it regularly its really not as dangerous as they make it seem. As long as you're not a prick, I have found people are generally pretty nice.

CreekSide

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2023
I hunt a creek I call Meth Head Creek. It’s dangerous at times but I carry while there. I find some nice artifacts in that creek. It can be scary once in a while hunting by yourself in the middle of nowhere. But if I see fresh tracks I don’t hesitate to put one in the bank to let them know to clear out. I have permission out there. The rewards are great but risky certain times of the year. Make your choice but but it’s hard sometimes to be looking down and up at the same time.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread