Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probably after you have a permit to carry.
Not good advice at all. A gun won't protect you if you're outnumbered 20 to 1. In my experience, not worth it, period. I used to avoid certain areas of Providence at night, but now I avoid most areas of Providence day or night. Too many fools who won't think twice about ending your life over nothing.

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
While it's important to be aware of your surroundings and take necessary precautions, it's also important not to let fear get in the way of pursuing your hobbies and interests. As long as you adhere to the laws and regulations regarding metal detecting in the park, there's no reason why you shouldn't enjoy this activity at any time that works for you.

Remember, metal detecting is a fun and rewarding hobby that can bring you a great sense of satisfaction and discovery. So go ahead and explore the park, uncover some hidden treasures, and enjoy your metal-detecting adventure without letting your fears hold you back.

Good luck, and let us know how it works out.

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
While it's important to be aware of your surroundings and take necessary precautions, it's also important not to let fear get in the way of pursuing your hobbies and interests. As long as you adhere to the laws and regulations regarding metal detecting in the park, there's no reason why you shouldn't enjoy this activity at any time that works for you.

Remember, metal detecting is a fun and rewarding hobby that can bring you a great sense of satisfaction and discovery. So go ahead and explore the park, uncover some hidden treasures, and enjoy your metal-detecting adventure without letting your fears hold you back.

Good luck, and let us know how it works out.
By the same token, you want to live to enjoy the hobby and have the equipment to do it. If you value your life and your equipment, you will stay clear of hunting the ghettos. Fear has nothing to do with it.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Not good advice at all. A gun won't protect you if you're outnumbered 20 to 1. In my experience, not worth it, period. I used to avoid certain areas of Providence at night, but now I avoid most areas of Providence day or night. Too many fools who won't think twice about ending your life over nothing.
It all depends on where the ghetto is located. It all depends on one's self awareness and comfort level.
Know the streets one has some level of comfort over someone who doesn't.
From gleaming the stats on Providence RI. I really have to question your 20 to 1 comment.
Is that a real fact, or just an inner self fear?

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From gleaming the stats on Providence RI. I really have to question your 20 to 1 comment.
Is that a real fact, or just an inner self fear?

Not fear, just common sense. We currently have gangs of idiots on ATV's harassing people in Providence. Most are harmless punks, but you never know. Try pulling a gun on them and you'll find out if they're harmless or not real quick. Your John Wayne routine can get you killed REAL fast in this world. You might even get shot by the cops as well. They all seem to have a shoot first, ask questions later mentality nowadays...

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
Not fear, just common sense. We currently have gangs of idiots on ATV's harassing people in Providence. Most are harmless punks, but you never know. Try pulling a gun on them and you'll find out if they're harmless or not real quick. Your John Wayne routine can get you killed REAL fast in this world. You might even get shot by the cops as well. They all seem to have a shoot first, ask questions later mentality nowadays...
You shouldn’t carry a gun and pull it unless you are truly prepared to use it and pay the consequences thereafter. A shooting, even non-fatal, is a life changing event. How many Indian head pennies will justify a court case and potential prison time?
If you want to prove something, join a police force. They go through ghettos every day.

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
There are a lot of unfortunate folks that live there. Struggling daily to survive. The criminals gravitate there unfortunately. It is easy to generalize; I do it too often. I have a choice to stay away; some do not. If sweeping the parks makes sense to you; so be it. I think you’ve been watching my favorite movies: Death Wish and Gran Torino.

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunt in the ghetto all the time. The secret is to wear rubber boots, ragged jeans, and to stay in the mud. I don't use a metal detector most of the time though, if I do it's folded up in my back pack until I am sure I am alone, then no headphones, never wear headphones.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do not go anywhere unarmed, and especially when detecting, I know a couple hunters that got mugged of valuables including detectors night hunting beaches.

16+1 double stack .45 Springfield XD is what I would carry in a ghetto. At the beach I carry .45 Springfield XDS single stack 6+1.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Been confronted with punks before, and in the my younger days it was an interesting event.
Most times it's a call the bluff, and choose wisely (meaning pick one's fights)
Then again a knife was different than a gun, which they seemed to be a rarity 40 yrs ago.

Though I guess you picture folks that pack like a John Wayne routine type.
I picture most as they'd rather not get into it, and only if their life is threatened to that point.
I certainly was.

Then again if a person just wore Camo, that would throw the fear into most. :laughing7:

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
I was held a knife point in 1977. 4 guys but only 1 knife pulled. I called the bluff that time (high pulse rate). I caught up with the knife wielder a few weeks later. Seems it was a big misunderstanding! I have no time for bullies/pukes.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
There are a lot of unfortunate folks that live there. Struggling daily to survive. The criminals gravitate there unfortunately. It is easy to generalize; I do it too often. I have a choice to stay away; some do not. If sweeping the parks makes sense to you; so be it. I think you’ve been watching my favorite movies: Death Wish and Gran Torino.
They aren’t struggling here, all their needs are taken care of. They just desire more, always more.

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
They aren’t struggling here, all their needs are taken care of. They just desire more, always more.
I understand. It’s a hard egg to crack.
Being poor isn’t illegal. But if the police focus too hard on the inner city areas, they are harassing and stereotyping. The punks know how to use the system to their advantage

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I understand. It’s a hard egg to crack.
Being poor isn’t illegal. But if the police focus too hard on the inner city areas, they are harassing and stereotyping. The punks know how to use the system to their advantage
Yes the old

Screen Shot 2023-05-07 at 8.32.42 PM.png

and the new

Screen Shot 2023-05-07 at 8.34.04 PM.png

System is working great for the punks.
Anymore said about that one can't say on the open forum.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread