Best Times To Hunt Ghettos?

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CreekSide

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2023
Creekside I enjoy your posts . I HOPE you can continue to make them FOR A LONG TIME> Just remember this IT CAN HAPPEN TO YOU ~!! My question to you is . IS IT REALLY WORTH IT ?
I do enjoy the walk and finds. It hasnā€™t been bad this year but if I see someone else out there I usually make a quick exit. I hunt that creek usually in the winter and stay away in the summer. I have another property coming soon. I call it my summer property with permission. Look for it in about a week. Iā€™ve found some good ones there in the past. Iā€™m hoping this year will be no different. I carry there to cause itā€™s nothing but wilderness out there. Once I ran into something and got chased. To this day I have no idea what they were doing or making. It was private property but they didnā€™t care. Thanks for the concern

plehbah2

May 8, 2023
Colorado mountains
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, XP Deus II
Reading this thread makes me realize that a lot of you don't get out very much! I have had some of my best hunting days in "ghettos" simply because I think most people who metal detect seem to live in constant fear of inner cities. I would recommend going in the morning if you choose a time. Sun-up until noon is usually pretty quiet anywhere you'll go. People on this forum make it sound like you'll get mugged and beaten as soon as you pull out a detector inside the city limits, but as someone who lived in the city for a long time and still hunts in it regularly its really not as dangerous as they make it seem. As long as you're not a prick, I have found people are generally pretty nice.

I am glad that you have had a positive experience, and hopefully you have made some good finds. There are probably different cultures in different places regarding different types of crime or lack thereof. I would agree with you on the fact that not all poor areas of every town are places where a person will get mugged or beaten just for setting foot on the pavement. Your "ghettoes" local to you might be full of salt of the earth type folk.

We have to be realistic here. Lots of "hoods" have a territorial culture, i.e. locals vs. outsiders, gang affiliations, and race of the respective parties. I can guarantee you that a white guy with a metal detector in certain parts of say Baltimore or Chicago is going to get a lot of attention, and that attention will not be positive if it is coming from resentful and disenfranchised gang members. The metal detector attracts a lot of attention anywhere. The danger of ghettos is not the poor people, or some junkie who can barely walk. The danger comes from GANG MEMBERS who have a time honored tradition of starting beef and committing crimes.

I am not arguing with you, just pointing out that the man seems to have trepidation and asked for honest real world advice on what to expect, and I feel like your advice there is a little bit dismissive of the hard realities. That advice will work until it doesn't work, if you know what I mean.

I hunted in Denver, Colorado, which cannot be the worst there is. But there are some stone cold psychopath killers on those streets and it is a very big deal when they come into your world. You will not smile or talk or reason your way out of anything. I am a reasonable man just enjoying my avocation, and I was like a magnet for s@#t down there. I just wanted to look for exonumia and dig old local glass, and I amassed a volume of stories about mugging and fighting and violent garbage. As you said, I was never being a prick but rather minding my own business and pursuing hobby time when OH MY here are three nut job gang members trying to kick my heiny and saying they are going to kill me. It happens fast, and it happened a lot.

It is probably even worse now with the BLM and Antifa stuff, and the animosity which has been instilled in segments of the population.

So, I cannot speak to your inner city, but in some of them OP needs to have eyes in the back of his head and keep his head on a swivel. I can assure you that I "get out" plenty, and I am giving the man real advice from years of real experience. There is no exaggeration or hyperbole here. He should be extremely tough at a minimum and always on his toes. "Not being a prick" is a very naive way of ensuring his own safety, and will not actually accomplish the goal of keeping him safe.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
When you're driving by and can smell the silver. Get out and get it! LOL
I wanted to hit a closed down church on Saturday but the area is so run down and tents set up by homeless, etc. I had to pass as I was alone.
Where are ya, Gold Digger! lol Hope all is well down there and that you get out and still get some silver and glitter.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I can honestly say that I have Never Hunted a ghetto area in Atlanta, or elsewhere. I'd like to think that's why I am still around. I don't know about other cities and outlaying metropolitan areas, but I do know about the metropolitan Atlanta area. Go hunting alone, or let your guard down, and you will be lucky if you are beaten within an inch of your life. This happened to a lone Hunter about 15 years ago. He was hunting the same area I hunted. I knew exactly where he was. He was hunting by himself, and was crouched down digging a signal with his back turned to the edge of the woods. He was struck from behind in the back of the head rendering him unconcious. When he came too, everything was gone including his wallet, his metal detector, his keys, and the vehicle he drove there. He was lucky in that these chicken s- -- thugs didn't kill him. Yes, I think I'll forgo the ghetto areas.

CreekSide

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2023
I can honestly say that I have Never Hunted a ghetto area in Atlanta, or elsewhere. I'd like to think that's why I am still around. I don't know about other cities and outlaying metropolitan areas, but I do know about the metropolitan Atlanta area. Go hunting alone, or let your guard down, and you will be lucky if you are beaten within an inch of your life. This happened to a lone Hunter about 15 years ago. He was hunting the same area I hunted. I knew exactly where he was. He was hunting by himself, and was crouched down digging a signal with his back turned to the edge of the woods. He was struck from behind in the back of the head rendering him unconcious. When he came too, everything was gone including his wallet, his metal detector, his keys, and the vehicle he drove there. He was lucky in that these chicken s- -- thugs didn't kill him. Yes, I think I'll forgo the ghetto areas.
Iā€™m north of Atlanta about an hour or so. Someone told me that Atlanta takes their homeless and drops them near my town thatā€™s why we have so many. Big meth area here you have to be careful when out.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Iā€™m north of Atlanta about an hour or so. Someone told me that Atlanta takes their homeless and drops them near my town thatā€™s why we have so many. Big meth area here you have to be careful when out.
Absolutely. You have to be nearly paranoid in order to be safe. Then you can't enjoy being out in the first place.šŸ˜”

CreekSide

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2023
Absolutely. You have to be nearly paranoid in order to be safe. Then you can't enjoy being out in the first place.šŸ˜”
Yes itā€™s hard to look up and down at the same time lol. That made me laugh but how true it is. After my last trip out to a summer property I have permission on Iā€™m thinking of hitting MH creek again my next trip out. When it gets hot they seem to be more active out there. But I will take some protection with me and let it be seen. There is one section that always creeps me out that I have to pass through twice it get to my best spot. Have fun itā€™s always a challenge.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread