Best underwater detector

diveplam

Dec 21, 2021
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse AQ1B, Minelab Excalibur 2, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Excalibur with discrimination for shipwrecks is a good machine (I have such a metal detector), but if you want deep signals (there is the truth), I recommend pulse induction.
I have also worked with Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II, Whites Surfmaster Dual Field, but for me personally the underwater metal detector is Aquapulse AQ1B.

agflit

Mar 25, 2015
Wisconsin, N.C. Fl, Bahamas....wherever the wrecks
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tigershark freshwater...Excaliber 1000 Bluetube, Aquapulse AQ1b, Marine Sonics Centurian SSS
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Excaliber for the beac..wet/dry sand imo.

Offshore/diving. saltwater/ wrecking...I use an Aq1B.

Freshwater for gold and jewelry...my go to is a Tesoro Tigershark.

agflit

Mar 25, 2015
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tigershark freshwater...Excaliber 1000 Bluetube, Aquapulse AQ1b, Marine Sonics Centurian SSS
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Also..I sure hope your not detecting wet in a lease area...that is VERY bad juju...

You WILL get hammered HARD not "if"..but "when": you get caught.

Not saying that you are...just saying...be careful and know the rules.

diveplam

Dec 21, 2021
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I don't have any experience with the JW Fisher Pulse X8 metal detector. Is there a depth difference with the AQ1B.

agflit

Mar 25, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The Pulse 8X is rated to 200'...

The Aquascan rated 328'

I know that I have hit on Gold coin at 14" .... that was with the 8" coil. The 15" coil is even deeper.
But it's also very large, and while you have more depth, it isn't as nimble when working underwater.

diveplam

Dec 21, 2021
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
:o:o:o Very big difference in depth

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You wont be detecting at either of those depths so the depth is moot... or not for long anyway. (heh)
Pulse 8x is an actual metal detector... all metals... the other is more geared towards ferrous metal...its more of a "magnetometer".
Pulse 8 is commercial industry standard...AND,,, half the price.
No brainer.

Last edited:

diveplam

Dec 21, 2021
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I have no doubt that you pulled the coin from such a depth. I also work with 8 and 15 inch coils. When I work with this metal detector I always take with me a DVP. I installed an Anderson shaft with the 15 inch coil and solved my problem. It doesn't strain my hand when I work with it.

Attachments

• IMG-20220418-WA0005.jpg
    IMG-20220418-WA0005.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 41

diveplam

Dec 21, 2021
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
You wont be detecting at either of those depths so the depth is moot... or not for long anyway. (heh)
Pulse 8x is an actual metal detector... all metals... the other is more geared towards ferrous metal...its more of a "magnetometer".
Pulse 8 is commercial industry standard...AND,,, half the price.
No brainer.

Ask the old-schoolers...

"when winning at a game of cards.. dont switch games".

View attachment 2064821
I don't think the AQ1B's priority is ferrous metals. It's crazy about silver, and its only weakness is low carat gold. This metal detector is made for shipwreck hunters.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think the AQ1B's priority is ferrous metals. It's crazy about silver, and its only weakness is low carat gold. This metal detector is made for shipwreck hunters.
I might be confusing another model they make after reading up on the company,.. which is actually a magnotometer.
It seems they do make an actual metal detector as well.... and i assume to which this is what you refer.

diveplam

Dec 21, 2021
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I might be confusing another model they make after reading up on the company,.. which is actually a magnotometer.
It seems they do make an actual metal detector as well.... and i assume to which this is what you ref
Aquascan produce a hand-held magnetometer whose control unit is identical to the unit (the difference is in the color) of the metal detector.

agflit

Mar 25, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The AQ1B is a PI detector...

Aquascan also makes the DX-300 hand held mag unit...which utilizes the same housing as the AQ1B.
This was to allow the crossover use of accessories such as headphones, bone domes and probes.

Different units, differant purposes.

And the DX-300 is over $4k

ropesfish

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
A sharp eye, an AquaPulse and a finely tuned shrimp fork.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Aquascan produce a hand-held magnetometer whose control unit is identical to the unit (the difference is in the color) of the metal detector.
I have both the handheld mag and several AQ1Bs. They work well for the 1715 Fleet.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excalibur with discrimination for shipwrecks is a good machine (I have such a metal detector), but if you want deep signals (there is the truth), I recommend pulse induction.
I have also worked with Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II, Whites Surfmaster Dual Field, but for me personally the underwater metal detector is Aquapulse AQ1B.
Nice report !!1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread