Best way to sell AG coins.

TheMastermind

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Pennsy
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're best bet, to get the most for your silver, is to do a private transaction through Craigslist or something similar. Sell it based on face value multiplied by whatever you choose (i.e. 10x), like BuffaloBoy said above. Just be very careful.

Otherwise, you can call around to all of your local coin shops to see who is buying at the best price.

Owassokie

Jun 28, 2012
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sold some junk 40%ers several years ago. If you're not rushed for time, you can try a craigslist ad. You never know how it will go but it's your best chance at beating the standard for individual sellers. As mentioned, be careful. No address. Don't provide information that can be tracked. Don't meet anyone at your house. Etc... I would skip wasting your time with local coin and cash for gold places. However, don't ignore the cash for gold places if you decide to sell it local retail. I found them to offer better prices than LCS. Assuming you're going to sell some volume, I'd advise selling to one of the national precious metals places. If you look around, you'll find 3 or 4 that are reputable and and offer a fair price. They were the best option for me.

Ebay is always an option but I think you need to sell in smaller batches or creative listings to really come out ahead. And you run the risk of dealing with a-holes who want to jack with your money.

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also find that craigslist is the best place to sell junk silver. I have found a number of people willing to pay a good price over melt.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Besides options mentioned above, look into local auction houses. It is standard (though not advertised) to charge a 10% consignment on coins. It is cheaper than going the route of eBay with less hassle. You consign your coins and wait for your check. Nothing to ship, no "a-holes who want to jack with your money", no negative feedback, no "lost" parcels, etc. I've always ended up yielding at least melt or more often above melt (taking into account the 10% consignment rate).

I'd also like to mention that it is safer. You don't have to deal with any freaks on Craigslist.

Last edited:

Liu21

Dec 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/BH Platinum, (Garret Pro-Pointer)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Craigslist, is the way to go. You can view offers, and choose who you want to deal with. eBay has too many fees...

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In order of maximum return to minimum return from my experience:

Craigslist
eBay
auction houses (depending on return)
Reputable buyer like APMEX
Local coin shop

In terms of safety:
Auction houses
Local coin shop
reputable buyer like APMEX
eBay
Craigslist.

I have sold a few times on Craigslist. I always meet in a very public high traffic area. Get there early, park in another lot, meet (publicly, like a coffee shop), record their info if they have any (do you see their car), go to another shop or two to kill time/distract them, leave, and go somewhere else but NOT home.

Bonus points if you:
Have a weapon or a friend sitting nearby anonymously. I've had my wife sit with her cellphone in another booth.

Last edited:

TheMastermind

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Pennsy
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've sold a few times through Craigslist over the last two years.

My township's police advertised on facebook a while ago that they allow people who do business through Craigslist to meet up in a designated area of their parking lot that is under constant surveillance and is within sight and earshot of the front desk. I have utilized that twice to sell coins and silver bars.

On top of that, my teenage son has always went with me and stayed in the car and I also carry when meeting someone from Craigslist.

I've been practicing martial arts for almost 20 years, the last eight of which have been some form of grappling. I am a 240-lbs. purple belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, and can bench in the high-300's, squat in the mid-400's, and deadlift 500 lbs. My teenage son also trains Jiu-Jitsu.

With all of the above on my side, I feel selling on Craiglist to extract the maximum value of my coins is a worthwhile venture.

That might not be the case for anyone else though.

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's nice of the police station to do that. I wonder if other places are doing that too.

Owassokie

Jun 28, 2012
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've sold a few times through Craigslist over the last two years.

My township's police advertised on facebook a while ago that they allow people who do business through Craigslist to meet up in a designated area of their parking lot that is under constant surveillance and is within sight and earshot of the front desk. I have utilized that twice to sell coins and silver bars.

On top of that, my teenage son has always went with me and stayed in the car and I also carry when meeting someone from Craigslist.

I've been practicing martial arts for almost 20 years, the last eight of which have been some form of grappling. I am a 240-lbs. purple belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, and can bench in the high-300's, squat in the mid-400's, and deadlift 500 lbs. My teenage son also trains Jiu-Jitsu.

With all of the above on my side, I feel selling on Craiglist to extract the maximum value of my coins is a worthwhile venture.

That might not be the case for anyone else though.

Sounds like someone would be a real idiot to try and perform an armed robbery on you. However, 'meeting location' robberies aren't my biggest concern. I'm more concerned with opportunities/time/things I wouldn't expect. People get robbed all the time and don't realize it's related to something they listed online, or information/meeting exchanged with a potential buyer. Skilled thieves use information in the course of communication to determine an address and the contents of that address. My biggest concerns have little to do with armed robbery while selling an item. I can address expected threats. I can't address the unexpected.

TheMastermind

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Pennsy
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like someone would be a real idiot to try and perform an armed robbery on you. However, 'meeting location' robberies aren't my biggest concern. I'm more concerned with opportunities/time/things I wouldn't expect. People get robbed all the time and don't realize it's related to something they listed online, or information/meeting exchanged with a potential buyer. Skilled thieves use information in the course of communication to determine an address and the contents of that address. My biggest concerns have little to do with armed robbery while selling an item. I can address expected threats. I can't address the unexpected.

Good post. This is definitely something to think about.

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good post. This is definitely something to think about.

I'm surprised when meeting people on Craigslist, they give me their home address and then tell me when they'll be available. Less scrupulous people will definitely take advantage of that.

People need to remember that it is still business and you need to be looking out for yourself.

Don't give out your full name, a listed phone number, a description of your car, an address, other possessions or family members living with you, etc. etc. They're not your friend, treat everyone kindly but be on your guard.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread