Best west suit for sniping in CA uear yound?

Not familiar with that brand? Don't see any mention of a pee zipper? Price is good but got plenty of nasty horror stories of wetsuits bought this summer from the largest supplier literally falling apart in a few days use. First thing to know about wetsuits is that they are made for diving. They only use a few hours a day on vacations and such and we spend many 10's a thoudsands of hours in extremely nasty,rough sharp rocks . I have never found a decent drysuit as they cut off the circulation at the neck and,hand and feets seals and they FREEZE and turn a ugly blue. Spent up to $1,000 or so on a dry and never a one lasted a month. Harvey,Haney wetsuits and such are my preference. Bib question is the skirt that surrounds the hood ,it seals and keeps you from pumping cold water down your suit every time you move. For sniping I only wear 15-20 lbs a lead as looking for neutral buoyancy and not stick to the bottom as dredging. Good article in the ICMJ last month on sniping by Trinity/AU who posts here and might be quite informative to ya/others also. John

Hoser John said:
Not familiar with that brand? Don't see any mention of a pee zipper? Price is good but got plenty of nasty horror stories of wetsuits bought this summer from the largest supplier literally falling apart in a few days use. First thing to know about wetsuits is that they are made for diving. They only use a few hours a day on vacations and such and we spend many 10's a thoudsands of hours in extremely nasty,rough sharp rocks . I have never found a decent drysuit as they cut off the circulation at the neck and,hand and feets seals and they FREEZE and turn a ugly blue. Spent up to $1,000 or so on a dry and never a one lasted a month. Harvey,Haney wetsuits and such are my preference. Bib question is the skirt that surrounds the hood ,it seals and keeps you from pumping cold water down your suit every time you move. For sniping I only wear 15-20 lbs a lead as looking for neutral buoyancy and not stick to the bottom as dredging. Good article in the ICMJ last month on sniping by Trinity/AU who posts here and might be quite informative to ya/others also. John

HJ--- good info bro thank you. I am really looking forward to trying sniping. Starting to piece together the gear. Trying to visualize the sniping thing. Having some issues. I guess I just have to get out there and try it. Are you using air John? Here in SoCal seems they might have issues with a motor on river. They have a prob with everything actually. So do I need a weight belt since I assume I will be in shallow water. Because if im not in shallow water and no air.. Then I would be holding my breath and that seems strange. Hmm.

So shallow water I guess will be where I start..

Good lord, I hate to even ask this but is the water safe enough to snipe in at the East Fork? That would suck taking a mouthful of EF water an swallowing it with no filter.. Ughh.

Have any of you ran into some wildlife while you we're sniping or been in poor quality water and got sick or anything??

Sorry for being a noob! Hahaha

COPYRIGHT LAW SAYS NO. Simply go to ICMJ.com and it's there. It is a complete mystery to me why I can post who,what and where for info in 5 seconds but folks sooooooooooooooooo lazy they want it posted???? John

John has a lot of great info and he only says it how it is. :D

TrinityAu is a great guy, knows so much more than I could ever hope to know. :)

btw, take note of current, deep water hides current and undertow.
I dont know anything about the area that you are in but as a beginer, I would stick to some slower waters for a season.

As for the pump, for deep water it really is a must have unless you can hold your breath for 2+ minutes at a time while moving around underwater.

I was just looking at a few pics of the EF San G and it looks like the water is fairly easy to snipe in with its deeper spots, I was thinking that it might be like the Trinity river! :D

YEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS always need a bit a lovn' as old yep, but not dead. hahaha John..........in the beginning there was the net and it was good..........folks were happy to converse and trade info.............then we could post pics and it was good.....then we could copy/post and that was good....then there were links and it got ridiculous as now nobody wants to do nuttn' but get instant gratification and research?? nope post info--you spend the time for me as you started this and 5 seconds is toooooooooooooo much to ask. Sorry firemen MY but the laziness of folks nowadays is amazing. No disrespect to any firemen ever as one LL of a dangerous nasty job with many ramifications down the road from the ungodly toxins breathed in,covered in and in contact with. I spent 3 years as a volunteer firemen out in Dayton Nevada and what a dangerous ,but mandatory,occupation. Respect...John

Come on John, POST IT, POST IT, I know you are sitting in a rocker, remember I work at the nursing facility so I can get you good deal on a wheelchair next week when youre done with the rocker. LOL, POST IT, POST IT. If I have to I'll come bye your place on the way to work and wake you up. LOL TRINITYAU/RAYMILLS

LOL!!The author of said article has posted!! :laughing7:

Hose is like me,we say it how it is...dont mean nothin by it,just dont beat around the bush...people take it the wrong way but oh well.
I did find it odd that you specified who you wanted to answer your question...makes others feel they have wasted there time,....I aint in a rocker yet

Don't over think it Kruger, all the info you all have shared I have truly appreciated. Not sure why I specified either.

Hey hoser, I'm waving my white flag, your brothers in arms have the picks and forks out. Surrender!

For Ray I'd do just about anything BUT ICMJ has copyright and I cannot do anything against their wishes. They are the last holdout mining magazine and as such are to be protected and not taken from in any way. ICMJ.com and click on it--sorry but must respect their wishes. Firemen rock and must agree ungodly,dangerous and life long danger from exposures are indeed a firemens lot. A very dear friend married the Haz/mat fella in KC and now old exposures are coming back on him,bummer. No pay in any way was cool for me as liked the hard training and comradere but horrorific aftermaths made me stop as quit sleeping from horrors. Old mobiles frequented the area and many folks never made it out.....auto wrecks in I-50 also bad bad bad. Nuttn' but respect to firemen and cops as what a ungodly necessary occupation with constant danger---John

Hoser or Ray

I just subscribed to the journal last night, can you tell me which month Rays article is in. I ordered the hard copy and have scanned the table of contents online, but as of yet have not seen the title. Any information would be appreciated. Looking forward to recieving my first copy and hopefully reading Rays article... Good health, and good hunting..

Oakview2, On the computer go to ICMJ. On the home page at the top click on writers. Scan down about halfway until you see my name ''RayMills'' and click on it. The articles I have written will come up. I think the publication date is also there. I think for just a few dollars more you can have online and paper. TRINITYAU/RAYMILLS

Thanks Ray. I spend too much time on the net for work, so i just ordered the hard copy...

Because I have not recieved my first copy with my account number, I am unable to access the previously published articles. I am looking forward to getting it and catching up on your contributions as well as some others I recognize... Thanks for the help....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back