luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Have recently read of several instances where hunters, when approached by a stranger, have turned their detector over to let the stranger try it and watched as the person ran off with the detector in hand. Also, an increased number of youngsters etc. wanting to take the detector to try it without any concern to the cost of equipment, effect of dropping it if trying to dig etc. The TV shows on detecting probably are going to make this situation worse, so be careful about handing over your detector to unknowns.
luvsdux

Just hand them the headphones while you wave the detector over a coin to show them.
This has worked with the ladies on the beach!
Never let them hold your detector.. that way you won't have to shoot them in the leg when they start to run off!:laughing7:

Anybody stupid enough to hand an expensive piece of equipment to a stranger deserves to lose it.

Just hand them the headphones while you wave the detector over a coin to show them.
This has worked with the ladies on the beach!
Never let them hold your detector.. that way you won't have to shoot them in the leg when they start to run off!:laughing7:

"that way you won't have to shoot them in the leg when they start to run off!"... That just means you happened to miss.

I had some guys lose their keys in deep lake water, far deeper than short me could go. I was so tempted to hand my detector over to them but I just couldn't bring myself to do it. My detectors never leave my arm from the time I turn them on til I am at the car. Even when dirt digging I have one hand on it.

ah,the MOHECANS,been reading about bish bash falls,,might go that way this summer..i grew up in western mass.

I had this happen to me once. A flock of curious kids came over as I was retrieving a target once, no big deal. One of the little girls picked up my detector and started to run with it wanting to find metal. Problem was, I still had my headphones around my neck! I got my detector back and gave them a quick demo, then claimed that I had to leave.... only to go to the other side of the park away from them!

#1 I dont stop detecting for kids #2 I dont give demos #3my machine dont leave my hands while in the field nere people ..#4 loan it out ???? OH HELL NO....not unless your a hunting partner .

I had some youngsters watch me digging, the instant I saw a quarter a little hand shot into the hole and grabbed it... My reflexes still pretty good for an old fart grabbed his grubby mitt and made him give it up! I worked too hard for it, to let it go that easy...

This post hit right at home. I got my picture taken twice today. Two Chinese guys at the college park started shadowing me, I tried my best to ignore but they just wouldn't go away. Finally I turned to them and they approached. They literally had no idea what I was doing or even what the purpose of the machine was. Needless to say they each wanted a picture with me. I sheepishly obliged. For a split second I even thought what it might felt like to be a celebrity.

This post hit right at home. I got my picture taken twice today. Two Chinese guys at the college park started shadowing me, I tried my best to ignore but they just wouldn't go away. Finally I turned to them and they approached. They literally had no idea what I was doing or even what the purpose of the machine was. Needless to say they each wanted a picture with me. I sheepishly obliged. For a split second I even thought what it might felt like to be a celebrity.

I would have charged them, and for s&g said to them that I waa the long lost grandson of Elvis.

never heard of it, may be one of the latest internet uban myths.
but I hope nobody Who is looking for ideas on how to steal read this :(

Last edited:
For the life of me I do not understand why people would wilfully hand over their machine. .would you hand over your car keys to stranger to test drive?

If they take the detector and run off, tell them to go slower less they miss good targets.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back