What's new

Biconcave Gorget Marion County Ohio

joshuaream

Silver Member
Joined
Jun 25, 2009
Messages
3,174
Reaction score
4,547
Golden Thread
0
Location
Florida & Hong Kong
I occasionally add items to my slate collection when I get a chance.

Here is a biconcave gorget from Marion County Ohio. These are pretty thick and hefty, and mostly drilled from one side.

It’s very well documented. It has been in a bunch of collections over the years and is pictured as a type example in Ohio Slate Types by Robert Converse.
 

Attachments

  • 7C3ACB61-D52D-402C-BF6A-BDA831757267.webp
    7C3ACB61-D52D-402C-BF6A-BDA831757267.webp
    272.5 KB · Views: 262
  • A24F04BD-186E-467A-B0BB-DE22C119E373.webp
    A24F04BD-186E-467A-B0BB-DE22C119E373.webp
    399.1 KB · Views: 213
Upvote 0
That is beautiful, you think it was actually worn or just symbolic.
 
Last edited:
Dandy piece of slate. Always liked the look of it,wish we had it where I live.
 
Beautiful Gorget!
 
Awesome piece of slate Joshua!

Big cane drilled entrance hole on the one side.

It looks a bit shiny, was there a finish applied to it?
 
Looks like a wonderful addition to any collection
 
It looks a bit shiny, was there a finish applied to it?

Yes, it’s a bit shiny but a lot of it is the flash.

It came from an auction and pieces get handled and rubbed at lot while on the block. Some old collectors also gunked up slate with butter or mineral oil to show the banding. The earliest picture I have if this piece is 1952, and it’s been pictured a couple of times since then.



AEBAE233-87EA-4120-9AB2-ABFCED77247B.webp
 
Great addition to your collection thanks for showing .
 
I think these gorgets were belt buckles. I have no proof, but it stands to reason that Indians would have had to have straps and slings and belts. Maybe I should make up one and see if my theory holds water. Gary
 
Gary,

I agree that most of them had a utilitarian function of some kind. I could see a slip knot style slide mechanism working, but I’d expect to see some use wear polish from that.

Some are very delicate and thin, but pieces like this one are pretty substantial. I’m looking forwarding scoping this piece when I get some time over the holidays to see if there are any wear patterns.

Joshua
 
]
That is beautiful, you think it was actually worn or just symbolic.


Some of these are so delicate that they are likely just ceremonial/burial items, but given how common they are there must have been some function. (Decorative but functional.) In Northeast Indiana where I grew up, most local collectors with some years invested in walking fields have found at least pieces of a classic two hole slate gorget. I have found two decent examples but I’d guess I’ve found at least 15 or 20 broken pieces (usually just a small section, but they often break at the hole so you can recognise what they were.)
 
That's a beauty! Thanks for sharing it with us.
 
She's a BEAUT!!!! I'm one of those HOOSIERS thats found many pieces but never a whole one. Fingers crossed!!!!!!! Great pick up JOSH!!!!
 
Very nice! I need to find one like that - just in time for Christmas.
 
Very nice is the pedigree long and can you say?
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom