What's new

Big axe! How old is it? Its a broad wing axe!

DiggerDave in Pa.

Sr. Member
Joined
Jan 12, 2011
Messages
499
Reaction score
126
Golden Thread
0
Location
Huntingdon County Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT
Big axe! How old is it? It's a broad wing axe!

How old is this axe? Did it have a specific purpose? I put the ruler on the inside edge of the hole. I looks like the blade would've been used on an angle. It has a pretty blunt cutting edge. I found this at an 1840's farm site. What do you think? Any input would be appreciated. DD
 

Attachments

  • bigaxe.webp
    bigaxe.webp
    57.4 KB · Views: 526
  • bigaxe1.webp
    bigaxe1.webp
    48.7 KB · Views: 525
Re: Big axe! How old is it?

Your photo does not show the other side, but it looks awfully thin to be an axe, and there appears to be a rounded shape on the side closest to where a handle would go . . . . it looks to me more like a tool that would be used for planing cross beams for a barn. 1800's if that is the case. An odd thing about it is the width of the handle area, it is wider than normal.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Big axe! How old is it?

It is a broad wing ax for hand hewing logs.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Big axe! How old is it?

I should add that a broad wing ax is supposed to be sharpened on one side of the blade for cutting a smooth face in the logs.

Broad wing axes are commonly found these days where someone had no idea what the ax was, and why the face was only ground on one side, and they ground the other side too. This almost always destroys the value of these expensive and hard to find axes.

I've seen these axes at antique tool shows, in good shape with a quality handle, they easily fetch $100 plus, and don't sit long. This would be for a good user, ready to use in the field. A super high end BW ax with a clear stamped maker's mark could easily fetch 4 times that amount.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Big axe! How old is it?

Right on it's a broad axe. The blade is offset and the handle is offset too. Picture a straight axe handle with a slight bend on the wide part. This makes it easier to hew the log.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Big axe! How old is it? It's a broad wing axe!

lumbercamp said:
Right on it's a broad axe. The blade is offset and the handle is offset too. Picture a straight axe handle with a slight bend on the wide part. This makes it easier to hew the log.
Thanks for the ID. I have never seen an axe like this one before. I live in a log house so I will try to display it on one of my log walls. DD
 
Upvote 0
Re: Big axe! How old is it? It's a broad wing axe!

DiggerDave in Pa, you must have different soil conditions in your part of the state then I do. Your broad axe is in worse condition then the ones I have found. After cleaning mine, I could make out makers marks on two of them. You may or may not want to clean yours. It would still make a good display in, as found condition.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom