254.4 KB · Views: 147

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
George,

Nice find, nice coin and nice Variety! I believe that your' 1803 Half Cent is a Cohen 2 Variety and if so, then it has a Rarity of R5 and is very sought after. I also believe that it is a rariest of all of the 1803 Half Cent Varities. This is another one you need to run by the Coin Dealer/Collector where you sold some other tough Varities. He may very well want this one in Raw condition but if not, it would probably be worth having it certified and graded for a future sell.

Frank

OP
OP
Vino

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
George,

Nice find, nice coin and nice Variety! I believe that your' 1803 Half Cent is a Cohen 2 Variety and if so, then it has a Rarity of R5 and is very sought after. I also believe that it is a rariest of all of the 1803 Half Cent Varities. This is another one you need to run by the Coin Dealer/Collector where you sold some other tough Varities. He may very well want this one in Raw condition but if not, it would probably be worth having it certified and graded for a future sell.

Frank

Thanks Frank I was wondering why nobody has commented on this coin??
I guess most people on this coin site has no clue about old coppers..
If its not a silver quarter they have no clue?? Lol..
Thanks again for the info..
George

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
George
That is a little rough on us! Half cents by variety is kind of a specialized niche. Been collecting colonials by variety for 40 years or so but not up on half cent varieties, so I hope I have some clue about at least some old coppers!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Vino

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a little rough on us! Half cents by variety is kind of a specialized niche. Been collecting colonials by variety for 40 years or so but not up on half cent varieties, so I hope I have some clue about at least some old coppers!

No offense Cutler..I was just kidding with Frank..
But i have also posted other old coppers on here, like a sheldon 19a that nobody seemed to know either. .
But like you said its a special market..
Sorry again.
George

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
George

George,

I know there are quite a few folks on TNnet that are fairly knowledgeable about old Coppers. However, I think that many of them, like me, get caught up in all of the other postings, especially in "Today's Finds" and overlook many of the other forums and posts.

As I stated, I can't be certain your' coin is a Cohen 2 Variety and even if it is, what effect the Die Break Cud has on the value! However, even though your' coin is a dug coin, it is in great shape and if it is a Cohen 2, it might actually come in grade-wise as the finest known specimen. I will do some more research to try to make sure that it is a Cohen 2 but I sure hope it is and when you check out the PCGS Coinfacts link below, you will understand why I say this. If it is a Cohen 2 and was in "Today's Finds", it would surely make BANNER...BANNER...BANNER.

1803 Half Cent - Cohen 2

Frank

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That is a beautiful coin, please get it checked by PCGS it may be a rare and valuable variety as stated by "Huntsman53".

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
That is a beautiful coin, please get it checked by PCGS it may be a rare and valuable variety as stated by "Huntsman53".

Why does he need to get it checked by PCGS?

There are plenty of ways to determine the variety either by seeing it in person or simply by seeing more clear pics of the coin.

There are only 4 varieties. With minimal resources, attribution should be simple.

Regarding grade/condition: Yes, it is a very nice coin. However, the sharpness is not terribly high and the corrosion is fairly pronounced. The overall grade/condition of the coin is not terribly "good" and does significantly affect its value.

P.S. C-2 is actually R4.

OP
OP
Vino

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

There are plenty of ways to determine the variety either by seeing it in person or simply by seeing more clear pics of the coin.

There are only 4 varieties. With minimal resources, attribution should be simple.

Regarding grade/condition: Yes, it is a very nice coin. However, the sharpness is not terribly high and the corrosion is fairly pronounced. The overall grade/condition of the coin is not terribly "good" and does significantly affect its value.

P.S. C-2 is actually R4.

You mean its not worth $20.000???

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other

P.S. C-2 is actually R4.

Well, if you had two 1803 Half Cent Cohen 2 Variety Coins that were identical in ever respect...grade and attribute one yourself and have the other one certified, graded and attributed by PCGS, then see which one sells for the most money. That is why!

You are right, they apparently downgraded the Cohen 2 to a Rarity of R4 from an R5 apparently after a few more specimens came to light! Not sure but I read online that there are only 11 known but that could be old information. However, out of those supposed 11 specimens, 8 of them are only VG or less in grade. So, a specimen that grades better than VG, is going to be considered somewhat more rare than those 8 and should garner a much better price. I edited the pics of the coin for George and as you can see that even with the corrosion and pitting, it is definitely better than a VG in grade.

Frank

1803HalfCentCohen2obv2.jpg 1803HalfCentCohen2rev2.jpg 1803HalfCentCohen2obv3.jpg 1803HalfCentCohen2rev3.jpg

Last edited:

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
R4 = 75-200 examples known

Maybe what I read was with or without the Die Break Cud, I don't know! That is the problem with researching anything online as much of the information is prone to mis-information, lies, errors and mistakes. I don't have the large amount of chump change for the reference books on these old Coppers and the Varieties, so I am left with what is available online which is not always correct. Sorry everyone and especially George, if the information I sometimes provide is misleading or wrong!

Frank

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
May I suggest the Half Cent Quickfinder for under $20:

NEW BOOK: QUICKFINDER FOR VARIETIES OF U.S HALF CENTS, 2ND EDITION

Thanks for the suggestion and the link! I am not too big into Early (Old) Coppers and only do research to help others and on a whim as I get satisfaction from helping or trying to help others identify Varieties and Errors. However, after I finish the work and modifications to my' two Turkey Shooting Match shotguns and get finished with some minor repairs and purchasing the correct parts for my' 1952 made Winchester Model 70 Featherweight Rifle in .308, I will look into obtaining the reference book and possibly others as well. I am just too over-extended and occupied right now to consider the purchase and delving into a new field of Coin searching and research!

Frank

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
By the way, I picked up some of the information that I previously noted from this link https://books.google.com/books?id=_...gK#v=onepage&q=1803 half cent cohen 2&f=false I found doing a Google search. You have to scroll down to Lot # 1657 for information on the 1803 "Cohen 2" Half Cent! I still can't find where I came up with 11 known specimens and am unsure as to whether this information was in reference to specimens with the Die Break Cud or specimens without the Die Break Cud or if I just misread the information.

Frank

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread