Big gold and little silver!

kurtstuben

Apr 19, 2014
Charlotte, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, ProPointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last Saturday I had the opportunity to tag along with Carolina Tom & Todd Lipe (P@tch) on a hunt, I needed one badly as it had been several weeks since I'd pulled trash out of the ground! Tom had secured a permission that the two of them have hunted several times and I'd hunted once before with them. While we took our morning break the landowner stopped by to chat and to see how we were doing, sorry to say we had no treasure to show by that point. After he left we decided we'd give it another 30 minutes to an hour before we left to try another spot.

A little background here is important...I had just returned from a week of hunting in PA & NJ with Carolina Tom & Smittyman (we were at DIPA then with some awesome guys from T-Net in other spots in PA/NJ) and I didn't dig any good targets while they were filling their pockets with silver and old copper.

So, on this day, I had decided to try a different approach to deciding which targets to dig...let's just say I have a limit to the number of holes I can dig in a day but today I said to myself I was going to dig every repeatable target until I couldn't get down and back up. This paid off big!! I was following Tom & Todd and had a jumpy but repeatable target, reading 74-81 on the Deus and it passed the bottle cap test. I said "well this is either a zincoln or an aluminum screw cap" and got down to dig, after a second I let out this sound and both Tom & Todd stopped and looked and I said "I've got an effing class ring". Nuh uh came from the peanut gallery ;)

Needless to say, I was able to follow that up with a 46 Rosie and a couple of cool parking tokens (from other locations), along with this fancy clasp that I can't identify (any help is appreciated).

I know this is a super long story but I know what everyone is gonna say...."Ring Return!!" So, here's where is gets even weirder. Sunday morning I get up and search for the name inscribed inside the ring...turns out he's a registered sex offender + felony conviction of felon in possession of a firearm + has active warrants out. Crazy sh!*

ResizedImage_1462639369161.jpg 20160507_183913.jpg 20160508_091414.jpg 20160508_091502.jpg Image22.jpg Image18.jpg Image20.jpg Image15.jpg Image16.jpg

Upvote 13

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Bad *** Kurt! The ring owner, I mean...

Just joking, nice finds buddy. I bet your find really set off the peanut gallery, followed by one of Tom's very clever remarks. Hunting with you guys is hilarious.

Probably a good move just to hold onto that ring.

Congrats again

GrandBlancDig

Mar 26, 2015
Grand Blanc, Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus - 11" coil ~ TRX bullseye ~ Predatortools Intrepid ~ Predatortools Raptor ~ Whites Coinmaster GT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome finds and thanks for sharing the story! Love hearing about what you dig and thought it was with the deus.

P@tch

Apr 9, 2013
mooresville,nc
Detector(s) used
minelab explorer 2, etrac, deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations Kurt you had an awesome day first with the big gold and then pulling the Rosie and saying hey Todd I found that silver you were looking for today. Peanut gallery Todd.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WTG Kurt. It was great meeting you in PA. I see Tom already posted a question concerning this ring.. I would not return it. The owner lost all his Karma when he committed the offenses. Glad to see you pull some goodies. When targets are plentiful I dig all repeatable, when they are scarce, I dig them all except for iron grunts. Now if all I hear is iron, I will dig a few of those just to see whats in the ground.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats "Dirty Kurty"!

I was just glad that I got to go along, and see that MDing demonstration you put on. The best part was that I didn't have to pay tuition!

I have a quick question for the audience. Does this look like a "man wig" to you?

Attachments

• IMG_20160507_112558_029-1.jpg
    IMG_20160507_112558_029-1.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Congratulations Kurt you had an awesome day first with the big gold and then pulling the Rosie and saying hey Todd I found that silver you were looking for today. Peanut gallery Todd.

Remember when Kurt said: "... thanks for telling me to dig all repeatable higher signals..."

I swear that I never told him that P@tch. I told him to only dig the scratchy signals below 40!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread