What's new

BIG lead shot.. What is it? More Pictures

MonkeyBoy

Bronze Member
Joined
Feb 6, 2006
Messages
1,601
Reaction score
57
Golden Thread
0
Location
Virginia
Detector(s) used
V3i
Here is a pic of a large lead shot I dug this weekend. I have it with a .69. I looks like it had a small chamber in it?? Any ideas?? Came from a 1750s house that I found a few Civil Reics on...

I add some more pictures, including the hole in the ball.. it is sitting on a grommet it keep it from rolling around.
 

Attachments

  • biglead.webp
    biglead.webp
    42.2 KB · Views: 577
  • biglead.webp
    biglead.webp
    42.2 KB · Views: 570
  • biglead3.webp
    biglead3.webp
    47.3 KB · Views: 507
  • biglead2.webp
    biglead2.webp
    34.3 KB · Views: 493
Re: BIG lead shot.. What is it?

Don’t quote me on this but it may be shrapnel from an exploding cannon ball.
 
Upvote 0
A piece of canister shot? Don't know that much about cannons to be too sure. Monty
 
Upvote 0
It is about the right size for Grape shot, not sure about the hollow spot inside it could be a cap for something.
 
Upvote 0
i DONT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT CANISTER SHOT,BUT i RECENTLY DUG A CACHE OF MUSKETBALLS THAT ALL HAD A "AIRBUBBLE",OR TWO IN EACH ONE....SOME KIND OF A CASTING FLAW?
 
Upvote 0
Is it possibly a part of a spider shot. After it was fired maybe the chain or wire that held it together broke loose or if it was iron it would/could have corroded away? I may have the terminology wrong, but that is my WAG.
There were some wicked items discharged from cannon at personnel as well as ships etc.

BW
 
Upvote 0
All these ideas centered around this being some ort of shot could fit.. but I have dug the camps surrounding this spot for 20 years.. and except for the odd Eagle A.. there has never been any artillery items found.... and we are talkin some big camps!! That being said.. I would never rule out some guy having this in his pack fromsome other site..

My view of started as soldiers goofing around and making a damn big shot,, to it being a leadmade replacement piece for something else.. a sword or knife frommel.. who knows? Heck, given the time frame of the original house... maybe it was for a blunderbuss? ;-)

Thanks for the help everyone

MB
 
Upvote 0
Some things we may just never figure out but at least you know the approximate time frame and it is a neat artifact. Monty
 
Upvote 0
Monkeyboy, the hole is pretty curious, especially the rounded depression on the side of it that looks like its from thick wire. Is there any sign of rust inside the hole, or any green corrosion to suggest brass wire? (I'm thinking crude counterweight or fishing weight (near Potomac?))
 
Upvote 0
johnnyi said:
Monkeyboy, the hole is pretty curious, especially the rounded depression on the side of it that looks like its from thick wire. Is there any sign of rust inside the hole, or any green corrosion to suggest brass wire? (I'm thinking crude counterweight or fishing weight (near Potomac?))

No,there are not any signs of rust or anything else like brass was attached to it. Hm, not that far from the Potomac but on the other side of the mountain... 3 miles by air.. 6 or so by roads.

Mb
 
Upvote 0
Just looks like an ole flawed home made lead sinker to me, maybe made in pairs.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom