Big Ol Pile of Civil War Lead & Brass Broke My Record Today in the Mississippi Woods.

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Big Ol Pile of Civil War Lead & Brass Broke My Record Today in the Mississippi Woods.

Got out for a Civil War hunt today in the Mississippi woods with a good Relic Hunting Buddy of mine and we hit pay-dirt.
My last few hunts have been slow and I haven't found anything worth posting recently, so I was wayyyyyy past due for a good hunt.
Hunted a hillside near the water and broke my record with 32 confirmed Fired Minnie Balls. Was sure hoping for one drop, normally that's about all I find, but not at this site.
If only these bullets could talk, I wish I knew the story as I had lots of ideas running through my mind today. Fired in the dirt or a skirmish......
Also found 2 Bullets inside of a large piece of lighter Knot and 2 more bullets in smaller pieces of wood (didn't count these in my total). Kinda want to know for sure if they are minnies, but I hate to destroy the pieces of wood as I think its pretty cool finding bullets lodged in wood.
I don't know much about Minnie balls, but I was told some confederate items were found in this area and there was supposed to be a confederate camp in the area.
These Minnie balls had 3-rings, but the rings were UNUSUALLY LARGE compared to the ones I have found in yankee emcampments in the past. Was wondering if these might be confederate.
I enclosed a couple photos of one dropped Minnie I found in the past, beside the minnies I found today for camparison purposes.. Please advise.:icon_scratch:
Also found some unusual pieces of brass and was wondering if anyone could help with ID on them. At first I thought these were modern bullet jackets, but now I don't know.
And found a lot of smaller caliber bullets as well, but who knows. Most of them don't have the patina the Minnie balls have, but if someone can id any of them it would be most appreciated.
Maybe this embankment was the local firing range for years....???
All in all it was a great day and I cant wait to go back, sweated my butt off, but it was well worth it.
Really hopeing these are confederate, because all the Minnie balls ive found along with the buttons have been damn yankee....
This Relic hunting has been more fun than the coinshooting... lol. Im already planning my next trip to this site......

Attachments

• DSC03015.JPG
    DSC03015.JPG
    393.1 KB · Views: 134
  • DSC03026.JPG
    DSC03026.JPG
    379.5 KB · Views: 135
  • DSC03021.JPG
    DSC03021.JPG
    384.1 KB · Views: 123
  • DSC03022.JPG
    DSC03022.JPG
    378.9 KB · Views: 135
  • DSC03023.JPG
    DSC03023.JPG
    352.1 KB · Views: 171
  • DSC03025.JPG
    DSC03025.JPG
    351.2 KB · Views: 144
  • DSC03016.JPG
    DSC03016.JPG
    326.5 KB · Views: 127
  • DSC03018.JPG
    DSC03018.JPG
    406 KB · Views: 132
  • DSC03019.JPG
    DSC03019.JPG
    371.9 KB · Views: 139
  • DSC03028.JPG
    DSC03028.JPG
    361.4 KB · Views: 150
  • DSC03030.JPG
    DSC03030.JPG
    312.3 KB · Views: 148
  • DSC03031.JPG
    DSC03031.JPG
    362.2 KB · Views: 154
Upvote 21
bonepicker .... From what I have experienced in detecting battle sites , you find a lot of drops .. If you find spent Minnies centralized , that means soldiers were there and getting shot at .... These soldiers were firing back and there should be drops .... just my experience.... And I agree with you that the 3 ringers have larger rings than what I normally find... I am no expert , however .............
Thanks for responding Longcut. I really need to get back to this site and spend some time scouting the entire area. Most of these finds were in a particular area.
I agree about finding drops. In the Yankee camps I have hunted I find a ton of drops. I have speculated that they may be a little more loose with their ammo, because they have more of a steady supply chain, or they were possibly defending a certain area, or perhaps well..... I wont even say it.
There were no major battles in this area im in, so I believe a lot of the skirmishes were more of the geurilla warfare type.
The bullets were found halfway up, and up to the top of the hillside. So it could be possible that the people ontop of the hill were being fired upon.
Unfortunately the top of the hillside has been wiped out due to man and erosion, so if there were a camp there, which I was told there was, it may be gone now.
Next time I go there im going to have to check the area in which I believe the bullets were fired from and roam the entire vicinity.
Who knows, maybe they are early, but modern muzzle loading slugs. Im just saying that there was Civil war activity here, and the patina suggests they have been in the ground a long time.
Hopefully someone with lots of cw munitions knowledge will shed some light on the subject.

Last edited:
I have no anger over the South losing the war, but I do believe states have the right to secede, and im not really proud of how the Northern states went about winning the war.

Im just going to assume you are joking, but you kind of come off as arrogant and cocky. "A proud to be Yankee".

You weren't kidding, as these posts clearly show. And yes, I'm proud to be a "yankee", but just remember that we're all Americans and on the same side. There's strength in unity and that's what makes the United States of America the strongest country in the world.

You weren't kidding, as these posts clearly show. And yes, I'm proud to be a "yankee", but just remember that we're all Americans and on the same side. There's strength in unity and that's what makes the United States of America the strongest country in the world.
Well I was kidding, especially at first when I said damn yankee.
The messages that you selected still do not show that I am angry, not to mention those were said after you claimed I was already angry.
Im not going to argue anymore as your comments/arguements have already proven my point.

Last edited:
Thanks for responding Longcut. I really need to get back to this site and spend some time scouting the entire area. Most of these finds were in a particular area.
I agree about finding drops. In the Yankee camps I have hunted I find a ton of drops. I have speculated that they may be a little more loose with their ammo, because they have more of a steady supply chain, or they were possibly defending a certain area, or perhaps well..... I wont even say it.
There were no major battles in this area im in, so I believe a lot of the skirmishes were more of the geurilla warfare type.
The bullets were found halfway up, and up to the top of the hillside. So it could be possible that the people ontop of the hill were being fired upon.
Unfortunately the top of the hillside has been wiped out due to man and erosion, so if there were a camp there, which I was told there was, it may be gone now.
Next time I go there im going to have to check the area in which I believe the bullets were fired from and roam the entire vicinity.
Who knows, maybe they are early, but modern muzzle loading slugs. Im just saying that there was Civil war activity here, and the patina suggests they have been in the ground a long time.
Hopefully someone with lots of cw munitions knowledge will shed some light on the subject.

I think they look period, but now you have discussed the Hill, it makes me think of target practice. They used hills like natural Butts. So it may have been a temporary range in the late 19th C, & maybe during the war?? More research is needed. Go & get more clues including from the firing points.

We hunt a Union camp where we have found many relics. Enough to confirm it was a camp. There is a steep bank at the edge of the camp were the soldiers target praticed. We know this because we have found hundreds of fired bullets in a small area of that bank. Sometime you will find two or three in the same hole. They are all period 69 and 58 three ringers. Looking at how the camp was positioned and the lay of the land it just makes sense. Maybe you can figure out where the most logical place they would have fired from is and hunt it hard. If they are modern bullets you should find modern things in this spot. Everyone drops stuff. It took a lot of trips for us to be sure but the finds don't lie. In time you can figure it out. That's the fun part.

We hunt a Union camp where we have found many relics. Enough to confirm it was a camp. There is a steep bank at the edge of the camp were the soldiers target praticed. We know this because we have found hundreds of fired bullets in a small area of that bank. Sometime you will find two or three in the same hole. They are all period 69 and 58 three ringers. Looking at how the camp was positioned and the lay of the land it just makes sense. Maybe you can figure out where the most logical place they would have fired from is and hunt it hard. If they are modern bullets you should find modern things in this spot. Everyone drops stuff. It took a lot of trips for us to be sure but the finds don't lie. In time you can figure it out. That's the fun part.

Good point and great suggestion. I see it came from a Southerner. Don't bust my chops Freebird! And my hat is off to you - a yankee Skynard fan! (All in jest, my Northern friend)

Wow,, that's a lot of lead

Just as I said but more wordy, lol...

Your brass items are indeed modern bullet jackets, if I'm seeing them right. Your lead bullets . . . I'll be watching this thread. I found some of these on a known battlefield and was told they were "early" modern muzzle-loading bullets, used by re-enactors and blackpowder enthusiasts in the 1960s (centennial). Mind you, I'm not saying they ARE modern . . . just that older relic hunters SAID they were. I hope (for both our sakes) those guys were wrong. I'll be interested in what the pros have to say . . .

P.W. I agree with you on the Brass/Copper Jackets. They Sound Soooo Good.
Thought I had 'Big ' Percussion Caps a Couple Times.

I have only read down to this point on the thread, but those Bullets / Minnies Do make me Wonder, look's like a couple of them have "Sharps" type Rings but have a big Cavity???
Patina look's Good .
The ones in wood are Nice .
OP
Please don't break these open unless you have to. But They are Yours.
I To hope they are CW era But those rings kinda do look like early Cast Muzzle Loaders.
Def, hope I,m Wrong.

The war's been over for 150 years. Time to let your anger over losing The Civil War go...

As for the bullets, this "yankee" thinks they look like they were used for target practice. Too many flattened in the same manner. Just my opinion...

WHAT WE LOST???

Awesome set of lead!! Interesting thread you ol' rebel catfish :laughing7: I'll be keeping an eye on this one. Hope you find a lot more at that site :thumbsup:

Just Curious....
Is the hillside you found them or Rocky With much Exposed Rock.
I def, would like you to know for sure.

Are all of them the same? size, Rings, Same cavity wall (design & thickness)?
If it's not real rocky , IMO It would seem they were fired into something Softer or from a pretty good Distance.
Going by how they are Deformed, Then U have the 'Hardness' of the lead.
Lot's of if's & What's , but (those Rings)???

Try to find the Firing spot & maybe U can find some Percussion Caps & IMO Those will tell you a-lot.
GL MAN ,ill Keep an eye on your Post.
Davers

Hey
Just Noticed In The Magazine American Digger July August 2015 edition , there are a couple Bullets that look Kinda like yours in the Ask Charlie Harris Section.
If you have access to the Magazine Check it Out.
Davers

Thanks for taking the time to reply davers. Don't have a lot of time now, so id like to thank all others as well.
I know what you mean about those caps. The first piece of brass I found looked like a large percussion cap, until I found a few more and realized what they were.
There are no rocks or boulders down here in southern miss. Mostly sandy soil. Maybe a little river gravel, but none on this hillsite.
They all look the same size same rings, with the exception of one or 2, and even those look similar.
Im not going to mess with the ones in the wood as I think that adds character and is definitely more rare to find.
I don't have access to American diggers Mag.
Guess im just gona have to get back in there this weekend and work that site and see what turns up as others have already stated.
I know there are CW items in that area, but just maybe not on the hillside I was working the other day.
As much as I hate to say it im starting to think that those larger 3-ringers might be more modern.
I put up a photo on another site my buddy suggested and I had 3 comments. 1 yes, 1 maybe, and 1 I don't think so.
Here is what the I don't think so said, and notice mine look similar to the ones in the photo.

They look like a modern version of the .58 cal minie. I shoot .575 "old style" which are more like the CW minies.
423242_1.jpg
The bullets in the picture are the modern cast minies. The rings with them "both" were removed from the breach of a repro musket prior to being used for reenactments. They are the skirts of bullets that broke off due to poor casting and remained in the breach of the gun. That is why you should never use the same barrel live firing and doing reenactments unless you really know how to check the breach for these rings.

So as much as id love them to be period, im really started to have my doubts.
If nothing else this thread will be a great learning experience for me and many others. And as Vino suggested, I definitely know what lead sounds like on the XP.:laughing7:

Awesome set of lead!! Interesting thread you ol' rebel catfish :laughing7: I'll be keeping an eye on this one. Hope you find a lot more at that site :thumbsup:
Thanks Erik. Aieeeeeeeeee!!!!!
I will definitely go back. Im just going to have to stick and move next time. Cover more ground. I know its in there somewhere.

The difficulty we're having trying to determine whether or not these are Civil War bullets makes me wonder if a lot of those Civil War bullets on eBay are just modern day reenactment bullets...

interesting thread. I personally found similar fired bullets like yours. I did not find a single drop which I thought was strange. The hill I was detecting had Civil War activity and I had found a few dropped pistol bullets further down the hill which were good bullets. I posted on the net and most viewers said they 'looked' good. They also had the grey to white patina. I came to my own conclusion that they were reproduction and likely fired in the 1960's. That style is not in any of the bullet books (yes I am aware not all in the books) and I could not find a single period relic where I found my fired bullets. Not even a square nail. I looked for the ones I dug but could not find them. If I do I will post a pic. But they are near identical. I believe they are 'modern' (1960's?)reproductions meant to be fired. They just don't have the right look; the rings are too big and spaced out. Maybe there is a chance they are 'old' bullets like from the 1870-1880's etc, but regardless I do not believe them to be pre-1865. thanks for posting and these types of threads are important for sharing information. Good luck on the next hunt. There could be nice relics anywhere...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back