What's new

Fantastic CW era Marines coat button! I cant believe the condition!

TrpnBils

Hero Member
Joined
Jan 2, 2005
Messages
873
Reaction score
1,234
Golden Thread
1
Location
Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Fantastic CW era Marines coat button! I can't believe the condition!

*Disclaimer* - People who know more about it than I do have ID'd it as WWI/WWII based on structure on the back. Still old, but not as old.

I don't generally get real excited about buttons, but this one is awesome! I dug this at a vacant house I have permission at (the same one the neighbors called the cops on me for being at a couple of weeks ago) this evening. I had been over this same area several times so I'm not sure how I missed this, but it was about 5" down. It's two-piece, complete, and has a D. Evans & Co. Attleboro Falls backmark.
 

Attachments

  • mystery button.webp
    mystery button.webp
    128.5 KB · Views: 141
  • CAM00461[1].webp
    CAM00461[1].webp
    112.6 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:
Upvote 22
Jeff,

Good score on the military button and in great shape to boot.

Regards + HH

Bill
 
sweet button congrats!
 
VERY NICE !!!!! DONT GET BETTER THAN THAT
 
It looks like it is most likely a post war marines button. Still a cool find though!
 
It looks like it is most likely a post war marines button. Still a cool find though!

What makes you say that? I don't know too much about them....just going off of CW button sites I found.
 
More like WW1/WW2 era Corps button than Civil War. You're right that D. Evans/Attleboro Falls did manufacture buttons during the Civil War but their back marks then did not look like yours. Most examples from the Civil War period did not even mention Attleboro Falls on the button (Just D.Evans) and furthermore, most examples did have an inner "threaded" ring around the shank or a scroll within which D.Evans and/or Attleboro Falls was put, neither of which are seen on yours. Finally, the fact that button is possibly bronze and Civil War does not seem congruent. It's not say there were no bronze buttons at all during the Civil War but I see most buttons of that time being brass or less likely copper with a very few crudely made pewter buttons mixed in. I'm not even sure your button is truly made of "bronze" but may just be bronze in color?

Those few that did came from the CW period and mention Attleboro Falls can be found here...

Button backmarks, D Evans, Attleboro Massachusetts.

Furthermore, several ebay examples have your exact button

BIG WW1 WW2 USMC BRONZE 1-1/8 UNIFORM BUTTON MARKED D EVANS CO ATTLEBORO FALLS
 
Last edited:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
very nice button - here's a CW era example for reference, showing a different back . . .

IMG_4451.webpIMG_4460.webp
 
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Very nice looking button
 
A real nice button for sure ,even if it was not quite as old as you hoped. Still a great find.
 
Jeff,

I saw that same button as well on the icollector site and while they are (I think) inaccurately labeling the button as a Civil War Era button, more than likely it's either a post war example (20th century for sure) and/or its a reproduction that has been artificially aged a bit for realism.

Again referencing Relicman's button site, there is a page devoted to Scovill marks which were plentiful. The very few that were dubbed marine corp buttons and had Scovill Mfg/star/waterbury/star looked like this

Button backmarks, Scovill,  Waterbury, Connecticut.


B6452A_small.JPG

B6452B_small.JPG
 
Jeff,

I saw that same button as well on the icollector site and while they are (I think) inaccurately labeling the button as a Civil War Era button, more than likely it's either a post war example (20th century for sure) and/or its a reproduction that has been artificially aged a bit for realism.

Again referencing Relicman's button site, there is a page devoted to Scovill marks which were plentiful. The very few that were dubbed marine corp buttons and had Scovill Mfg/star/waterbury/star looked like this

Button backmarks, Scovill,* Waterbury, Connecticut.


B6452A_small.JPG

B6452B_small.JPG

Good deal - thanks!
 
NICE BUTTON FIND BILS .
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom