Big piece of flint, stone with a hole in it, and some neat other finds in the woods.

cloudboy

Feb 1, 2018
Western KY
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi,

I've not really found much before. Today while walking around the woods I found a large piece of flint. I think it's raw flint, not an artifact, but I just wanted to share it here. It's amazing how smooth 2 of the sides are. The stone is really beautiful.

I also found a stone with a hole in it in the stream. I know it's probably nothing, but the hole itself looks quite smooth.

Also found some ginseng and a deer skeleton, kinda cool.

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg

Upvote 0

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
NY? Probably Onondaga flint. I wouldn't call that a big one. That's a small one! Not big enough to make an artifact out of. Looks like a couple flakes have been removed. Difference in patina in places. Keep looking. Gary

OP
OP
C

cloudboy

Feb 1, 2018
Western KY
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NY? Probably Onondaga flint. I wouldn't call that a big one. That's a small one! Not big enough to make an artifact out of. Looks like a couple flakes have been removed. Difference in patina in places. Keep looking. Gary

KY. Interesting. I haven't found anything except a flake before, so it looks big to me! :laughing7:

Two of the sides are totally smooth, and form a sharp ridge where they meet. The other side is very rough and not worked at all. The piece is obviously broken. Do you think it could have been worked until it broke? Or it's just naturally smooth on 2 sides? I don't know anything about flint formations.

Re: the patina, one of the smooth sides is green/brownish, almost like a translucent over it. What does this mean/imply?

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread