What's new

Big Red

uniface

Silver Member
Joined
Jun 4, 2009
Messages
3,224
Reaction score
2,907
Golden Thread
0
Location
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
Found in North Dakota or Ohio by Harlan Snyder (who lived in West Virginia but hunted on vacations in Ohio and North Dakota -- unfortunately not keeping track of where the stuff he found was from); gotten in a trade for some Early Archaic points from Steve Worden.

Material is red Hixton silicified sandstone (the red is pretty scarce). It's a uniface with retouching pretty much all the way around except for the striking platform at the base. The size (2.5 inches) and shape suggest Early Archaic but the extent of the conservation on it (making every edge count) is paleo.

Your call.
 

Attachments

  • DSC00199.webp
    DSC00199.webp
    16.2 KB · Views: 888
Upvote 0
I was thinking of the big red fluted Cumberland in Charles Moore's collection. I've heard that called "Big Red". But, all three are worthy of the moniker.

Going in another direction here, but this is what I always heard called "Big Red". I want to say one of the Tatums out of Florida found it, but that's been a long time ago.

View attachment 1784128
 
My only piece of Hixton happens to be red. I didn’t know red was rare. That’s nice to know if so.

690A0861-DD00-44DA-931D-E2F73EFAA0B3.webp
 

Attachments

  • B1AE3719-2BF1-43B4-8C6F-0D7C4F3234F4.webp
    B1AE3719-2BF1-43B4-8C6F-0D7C4F3234F4.webp
    700 KB · Views: 87
It looks more like a creek stained yellow Hilton to me. Nice artifact for sure!
 
I've held that beauty, absolutely reddish color (more on the one side.)

It's an amazing relic, pictures don't do it justice.

thanks Josh.
Now that I think about it, Hippy had it in his hands one time too at collinsville.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom