big silver day. may be more!

AndyE89

Nov 19, 2013
Cresco, Iowa
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So a friend of mine purchased a house, the house was built in the 1930s. I did not have any expectations for this property but we decided to see if I could find anything. I was pulling a lot of pulltabs and every now and then a penny or two, but when I got to one side of the house, which has power lines over head, I started to get an overload of signals. I am using a tesoro compadre and I assumed the signals were primarily due to the power lines. I dug the targets I could and I was getting wheat pennies, and a cross dated 1830, this all within less than 10 feet of one another and then by a small tree closer to the house I hit the 1943 walking liberty half dollar. So awesome finds, a walker, a 1930d wheatie, a 1916 wheatie, and a cross dated 1830. I did find out this property and many on this road may have been an orphanage in the late 1800s to the 1900s. This all dkd not make sense, is it possible that there is a cache in this yard, where the signals are hard to pin point, or did I get a lucky streak? I plan on hitting it hard this weekend, instead of just an hour or so, and possibly going up the wooded hills in her back yard.

Attachments

• 20151012_193503.jpg
    20151012_193503.jpg
    408.8 KB · Views: 120
  • 20151012_193508.jpg
    20151012_193508.jpg
    561 KB · Views: 123
  • 20151012_193513.jpg
    20151012_193513.jpg
    452.3 KB · Views: 124
Upvote 15

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on pulling that Liberty. :occasion14: I also like that dated cross. :thumbsup: What size coil were you using? Do you have a small sniper coil? Sounds like you should hunt that side yard with a smaller coil for better target separation.

OP
OP
AndyE89

AndyE89

Nov 19, 2013
Cresco, Iowa
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use the 8 inch, new compadre. Since the coils are hardwired I cant switch them. I may just see if a bounty hunter tracker iv will pick up anything, if that does pick up any signals, I may just run in all metal and see if I can get better signals. The yard isnt that trashy and I did not have enough time before dark to do a couple sweeps with the detector in all metal, but I think I may do that this weekend and see if I can seperate a little more. I have problems with dimes on this detector, not sure why, it grabs pennies and jewelry and hits hard but im thinking a lot of the "iffy" signals may be coins turned or possibly deeper. The yard has a ton of history already so even if I pull some square nails or older junk at least I know the property may have been older. Cant wait to see what else could be there

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Joe hunter

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2013
Up state NY
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus ,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice gives me hope for a friends yard I'm Doing this weekend

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the big silver.
"hard to pin point" could be multiple targets, but is also indicative of hot rocks. I don't know what Iowa soil is like, but around here hot rocks are a problem almost everywhere.
Good luck on the return.

thrifty76now

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2009
Sunman Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT MINELAB SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty nice walker there.Go back and work real slow try swing over targets from several different angels before you dig.

OP
OP
AndyE89

AndyE89

Nov 19, 2013
Cresco, Iowa
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys!!!!

Im actually in Minnesota now, and id say the soil in Minnesota is moderate at best, no hot rocks at all so far. Im hoping there are multiple targets, like I said even a bunch of old square nails, but at least ill know after I dig them.

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get back there!!!!! I'm sure your friend needed a new landscape!! :laughing7:

OP
OP
AndyE89

AndyE89

Nov 19, 2013
Cresco, Iowa
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will be hitting it again Saturday, and possibly friday night, with headlamp lol. I asked her if she wanted a garden there so we could just start the digging now! She didnt seem too excited about that idea. :dontknow:

NEPADIGGER7

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2013
Downtown Lehman
Detector(s) used
minelab safari,whites m6, AT Pro, Ace 250 and whites coin master, Garrett AT propointer (garrett carrot), Lesche hand digger, 5x8 & 8.5x11 DD coils for the Pro, Camera is Ion Air Pro 3
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great job Andy! those walkers are always a treat when ur diggin! keep up the good work!

Dr.Tones

Jan 7, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Walk this way!!!!

OP
OP
AndyE89

AndyE89

Nov 19, 2013
Cresco, Iowa
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did a late night hunt for a couple hours tonight, headlamp and what not. I work nights so getting out during light is tough. I pulled a small childs sterling ring early ring, im thinking 1920s. And about 5 wheaties. Every penny or coin I get from this yard is old, there just HAS to be silver and other good stuff here. Hopefully have a minelab 305 coming this weekend, I wanna see if that grabs more at deepr depths. With this house being on a hill the soils is constantly moving, and the half I found was shallow, while some of the wheaties were 6 plus inches. I really think if I take my time I can pull out a ton more. The yard is just loaded

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread