Big teepee canyon agate

rainorshine

Oct 6, 2013
Black Hills, SD
Detector(s) used
AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went out this weekend and found this monster. It was bigger than a football. I went to town and had it cut but unfortunately it didn't blow up inside like I thought it would. Still a keeper. Sorry I didnt wet it down before the pics
0213161714.jpg0213161715.jpg(0213161715a.jpg0213161715b.jpg0213161716.jpg

Hehh :) Cant always strike it great on a cut but I'd say its a keeper just now you have some flat spots that wont let it roll of the shelf!

Upvote 0
Very nice piece. Great colors. That looks like great material for cabs.
I once had a softball sized solid agate cut into thin slabs that let light through. I actually used one in a stained glass window I made.

Upvote 0
Exciting find. Is collecting allowed in the Badlands?
I remember being there and wondering about that.

Upvote 0
Teepee canyon agates are found west of custer
Sd on national forest service land. Hunting is allowed. The badlands are a national park and off limits. Fairburn agates are found there and in the buffalo gap grasslands, as well as other areas. Hunting is allowed in the grasslands.

Upvote 0
Teepee canyon agates are found west of custer
Sd on national forest service land. Hunting is allowed. The badlands are a national park and off limits. Fairburn agates are found there and in the buffalo gap grasslands, as well as other areas. Hunting is allowed in the grasslands.

I remember some amazing turtle fossils from the bad lands when I was there in the early 80's. I went into the badlands to the point of loosing traction. Then the woman I was with was attacked by some insect. It was so bad she stripped down to her skivies to get rid of them.
Just advice... If you got a predisposition to go to the bad lands creatures awate you and bug spray don't work.

Jeeze why do they call them the Bad Lands?? Because they are BAD!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back