Big Tinkler and a bitty Brooch

unitas

Feb 24, 2008
Northern Ohio
We got a hunt in yesterday at our historic site. The going was a
bit rough but we managed a few stellar finds.
A nice brooch
cool 003 (824 x 618).jpg
A very nice rolled copper tinkler
cool 004 (824 x 618).jpg
A folding knife--bit on the rusty side-lol
cool 005 (824 x 618).jpg
A strap handle for a kettle (?)-a few musket balls, a flattened
and holed piece of lead (use unknown), and a button.
cool 006 (824 x 618).jpg

Upvote 0

Lucas

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2010
U of A
Yes, kettle lug. From a brass kettle. :icon_thumright:

Most say the lead things are gaming pieces... checkers or dice from the "bowl game" (au plat), also called the "plum pit game" or "Indian dice." Basically a bunch of two-sided "dice" tossed in a bowl. Sort of like our dice and dice cups. Neat item, and really widespread. :hello2:

OP
OP
unitas

unitas

Feb 24, 2008
Northern Ohio
Thanks Lucas
I never thought of game piece---that really makes sense. Looked over both sides hoping for some sort of carving-but no. Game piece makes great sense though. The lug handle seemed about right too. Why is it cast iron? Was it a cheaper made kettle than a copper one?

Thanks for your help and interest-Harry

A. Grignon

Oct 9, 2007
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT & Whites Beachhunter
Find holed, flat lead pieces on almost every trade site I have hunted. Some call them "Whizzers", but I have never really bought into that theory. It just doesnt seem like it would work that way. Thanks for the info Lucas, maybe I will post some thing just for you. :)

flintlock

Aug 6, 2007
Nice brooch Unitas! I've never found a brooch quit like yours but I sure find alot of those flat lead pieces with holes through the center. I often associate those as "whizzers" but to me they would be most useful as a necklace ornament.

Lucas

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2010
U of A
Oop my mistake! That would be the lug from a TIN PLATED IRON KETTLE. Straight sided, most with no lid. These were made in different sizes that "nested" together to dave shipping space. Trade lists mention nests of tin kettles, by the pound, but traded individually. British or American, these are not a French item.

OP
OP
unitas

unitas

Feb 24, 2008
Northern Ohio
Ah, thanks for the update---we were kind of thinking that it came off a kettle other than a copper one.

mk4125

Jul 9, 2015
Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett/AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I keep finding those lead discs as well (Northern Michigan). Mere steps away I found a silver brooch nearly identical. Odd. IMG_20170331_083632.jpg

Ia.FurTrade

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2008
Southeast Iowa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, I have found them also..........agree with Grignon............don't think they are "whizzers".

Iowa Dale

Calgarychef

Jan 23, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found those in England frequently. They're knows as dress weights there, used so they would stay in place.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread