Bigfoot Coil question

AmericanCoinHunting

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2005
CHICAGO
Detector(s) used
E-Trac w/Pro Coil,and 6x8" S.E.F,The Relic & Gold hunters DREAM...a Troy X-3 w/3 coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all,
Its been a while since I posted anything on the forum here.....I have a question for You Bigfoot Coil Users.
Specifically those of you that use ,or have used a Bigfoot coil on a Whites XLT before.
I purchased the coil to hunt the freshly graded Sidewalk tear-outs that come around by all of us . They usually start about this time of year,and there are some other groups of detectorist in my area that usually get to these sites about the same time as me or a little before.I bought the bigfoot coil so I could cover alot of area in as short a span of time as posible.Since the XLT can be swung at a brisk pace ,this should take even Less time to search an area.
[size=10pt] My question is ......Do any of you XLT guys that use the Bigfoot coil use a tweaked or special program while using the coil??? I do not seam to be getting even the depth of my 5.3 coil at gain set on 2.....when I use the bigfoot.... I have used the Factory Presets and cant get as good a depth as the 5.3.....Then I tweak the gain up to 5-6 ,and up the A.C. to 68-72....it still does not seam to get much better depth than my 5.3 coil.at 2 gain. The Bigfoot is advertised to get the (same depth as a 8" concentric).
All that aside.I thought SOMEONE out there has found some luck with a Bigfoot Coil,and I would Like to hear some imput on what might be the best settings for it.....2 things i DO KNOW[size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt]
[/size][/size]....(1) Set the DC sens at 45-55...(2) Depth reading shown is about double actual depth (because of coil size I guess)..........2 Things I like about the Bigfoot.......(1) It covers 18 inches and alot of ground in a hurry...(2) It pinpoints Like a Dream.....2 Things I dont like (1) it does not seem to get any(or much) better depth than my 5.3 coil. (2) I do not like using Mixed mode or tone ID....but that goes with any program on my XLT...LOL......[size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt]Any program out there that you use will be apreciated.....You can PM me ....Or better yet Post it here via Copy Paste for All to see.[/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size]

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First I would only use Relic mode, second I can't see how they can expect a coil with the outer windings only about two inches apart to match an eight inch coil.
Did you buy it new or second hand. Many secondhand coils have lost their instructions and it is vital to ground balance with the coil held at 45 degrees, not in the normal coil flat to ground manner.
Try a really hot programme. I use Relic with Pre-Amp at maximum. DC untouched as the pre-amp will have boosted that. Reduce AC to 50. Depending on the machine and if its cold weather you may be able to creep it up a bit but at 50 the detector should be stable.
If things seem to be working O.K. then try adjusting Recovery Speed to a lower number which will also gain depth.
As you say the faster the sweep speed the better.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
U.K is right about the settings and this should help. The Bigfoot coil normally doesn't get the same depth as an eight inch coil due to the extra ground coverage but it makes up in more finds by its very nature of covering more ground per sweep. A lot also depends on your location. The same goes for the Tesoro Clean Sweep coil, but there are no extra programs to run to enhance the operation on these machines. Tesoro has discontinued the coil.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread