Bird Rings

rupsul

Nov 11, 2004
hey I'm currently searching in a small town called out side Antwerp, Belguim. I have found two bird rings (you know those things round for the legs) both with ID numbers with "Brussels Museum" written on them.They were about three hundred metres apart. The one is slightly larger then the other. My theory so far is that they are from racing pigions. But does Brussels Museum have a flock and is so what is the chance of two dieing in the same area?

True_Metal

Aug 27, 2004
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found one of those too not long ago in NY. It's small, only a 1/4" radius with numbers on it. Have no idea what bird it came from, but i do know it's not from a goose which are frequently banded as this is much too small.

Too answer your question on the birds dying in such a close proximity to each other. It would very possible if they were shot and killed and didnt die naturally.

Upvote 0
D

Diane L.

Is there a Brusels" Meuseum" now or one that may have been taken down in war time..Maybe it is relic from that place..I would do alittle reseach..It may even be one of the items they sold s a gift or publicity item?Just an idea. ???

Upvote 0
D

dubai

Alot of studies have been done on the movement and migration of these birds, if it fitted with a ring it is most likly relevant to where the bird was born or was tagged.Someone would be very interested to know the location where you found the rings as it would provide information on the birds movement, the point of the study.

Upvote 0

Gribnitz

Aug 1, 2004
Here in the U.S. if you find a bird tag like that and send it in, they will send you a neat little history of when the bird was tagged, where and how far it had flown to get there. It is a neat little souvenir.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

rupsul

Nov 11, 2004
Thanks alot guys Will try contact authorities. It will be very interesting finding out the history. Will keep you guys posted. I will be submitting abot question soon about another find from today. Maybe you can help out there to :)

Upvote 0

True_Metal

Aug 27, 2004
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mine says Poughkeepsie NY, NYS Cons Dept A 699.

Poughkeepsie is only about 30 miles from where i found it. Poor little guy didnt make it very far before meeting his demise. The band is still round and did not fall off. His leg must have been severed for the band to be removed.

I will send it in, as i have been curious since finding it and now with winter here its a perfect time for things like that to be done.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

rupsul

Nov 11, 2004
I also found no part of bird in or near mine. As i see it there are two explenations
1) it is old enough that the the bird part deteriated ( unlikly)
2) they where somehow severed from (both mine are also round)
3) an animail ate the bird and the ring passed through it
I still find it strange that they were so near and from the same place AND no remains of birds AND the chance of then being shot is small as the area is a none shooting zone
For me this is what detecting is about the mystry godda love it :D

Upvote 0

True_Metal

Aug 27, 2004
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh, a non shooting zone. You didnt say that before, so i would look to the local predators (foxes, coyotes, ferral/ scumbag house cats) as being the cause of the birds demise. They were probably from the same flock as alot of birds stick together and maybe those two were released at the same time?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

rupsul

Nov 11, 2004
I agree with you True_Metal I also believe the cause to be predator related and a flock is an idea but the fact that I found two in areas where I did not search very thoughly due to time points to the fact that there are alot more...

Upvote 0

True_Metal

Aug 27, 2004
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Were these found close to a body of water? I have a feeling they were. Pond and lake shores are favorite ambush places for predators hunting birds. Even creeks and rivers or any water source where the birds are busy drinking and their guards are down.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

rupsul

Nov 11, 2004
Your instincts are correct one I found on the shore of a small lake but the other was in Thick forest

Upvote 0

True_Metal

Aug 27, 2004
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, i was partly right. The one in the forest may have been carried there from elsewhere. Foxes will carry their quarry far until they feel it's safe to stop and eat. You should for sure try that spot again and try find more, if you wish.

Upvote 0

Gribnitz

Aug 1, 2004
True_Metal said:
Well, i was partly right. The one in the forest may have been carried there from elsewhere. Foxes will carry their quarry far until they feel it's safe to stop and eat. You should for sure try that spot again and try find more, if you wish.

OR, the fox already had his dinner by the lake and the ring was just "deposited" a few hours later.

Upvote 0

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you have West Nile Virus around there? Misquitos (can't spell this one) can kill pigeons when this is present. We are just starting to have it show up here in Southern CA. ???

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread