trevmma

Bronze Member
May 23, 2006
Detector(s) used
whites 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Birdstone found today with vid

sorry no insitu had no clue what it was, lol. looked at it for a second knowing it was a preform to something, hmm i thought platform pipe , birdstone did not even enter my mind! when i looked and seen the drilled section i was in shock, but only tail end drilled and not through. the head is busted of anciently and its just a preform but peck marks and all i will frame it till i get older and give it to a beginer, thanks for looking will post vid when loads. sorry for the exitment
IMG_3981.jpg

IMG_3979.jpg

IMG_3977.jpg

IMG_3976.jpg

IMG_3973.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
trevmma

trevmma

Bronze Member
May 23, 2006
Detector(s) used
whites 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

WhiteCountyPaleo

Jul 21, 2008
Lafayette, IN
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Great find! They are so rare my friend! I've yet to find a finished one. I've found two
preforms... a broken tail & a whole one. Does it look like they tried to salvage yours after
the head broke off? Sometimes it's hard to tell from anciently broken slate because the
the surface will kind of polish over time. On my broken tail piece it seems they might have
tried to salvage what they could before the head was broken off. The head has a clean
break but the other side was reworked at broken section a bit. Maybe they gave up and
killed it. I like your find man....
birdstone preforms.jpg

OP
OP
trevmma

trevmma

Bronze Member
May 23, 2006
Detector(s) used
whites 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks!!! yeah i cant tell def. looks to be pecked at a little where it was broken. yeah i thought it was a pipe, lol for a little because of the rarity of a bird. one day i will get a whole one. yours are very nice . there is a slate the same color any all right by it that looked like a natural birdstone, maybe i should get it tom.

Neanderthal

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
I really enjoy seeing that, that's a wonderful find! Sometimes, it's not the most aesthetically pleasing ones that teach us the most. Thanks for sharing.

OP
OP
trevmma

trevmma

Bronze Member
May 23, 2006
Detector(s) used
whites 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks everybody she is up in my display cabinet alone hoping one day to meet another, lol. i will keep on looking until my legs give out , but i will find a killer one one day.lol . thanks everyone

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Obviously a banner worthy find but unfortunately isn't going to appeal to the masses. Amazing find. You're doing great.

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
FYI - I voted banner. "Guy found a birdstone.... How often does that happen? What's it worth? Trumps 95% of the banner finds in both category. It's not sexy, but it's an important find."

OP
OP
trevmma

trevmma

Bronze Member
May 23, 2006
Detector(s) used
whites 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome thanks twitch, I don't think I'm lucky enough to get 2 banners in a row,lol. It sucks I did not get the insitu , I thought it was just some slate chunk when it was sitting in ground. It's Def not pretty there's about 100 plow strikes across it. The back hole was hit but thankfully still there, going back after are rain. Thanks again everyone.

pickaway

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
Detector(s) used
ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Damm you find some nice artifacts, now you sir are a heavyweight...

OP
OP
trevmma

trevmma

Bronze Member
May 23, 2006
Detector(s) used
whites 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys, bird cloud I sure put the hours in,lol. I just jave been super lucky lately. Found a killer 2 inch wide 3.5 sonora Cobb knife today but then got beat by my buddy with a bigger one out of boyles chert,lol. Im on a mission to find better than my gorget since my friend said its my find of a lifetime and I hate to hear that

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread