What's new

Bizarre box holds a first

Fropa

Hero Member
Joined
Feb 27, 2007
Messages
511
Reaction score
29
Golden Thread
0
Location
SW Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
I ordered 2 extra boxes this week and picked them up yesterday. Only 1 1964-D and a 1974-D DDO.

Today I picked up my regular weekly box. When I first started 2 years ago I was getting CWI boxes but for the last year and a half I've been getting the Brinks style square boxes. Well today I got a CWI box that looked like this

27JUN08_Box_Front.jpg


It was mailed from another bank chain to my bank. I was wondering if it was an original box or one that was put together and mailed. It is dated SEP 2007 so I was hoping it might have a chance to be good. I did think it was very nice for my bank to pay for someone to mail them a box of halves so that I would have my regular order. The second rolls my wife and I opened both had 1 68-D, promising start. Well it was rather slow through the rest of the box with a total of 3 more 40% and a 74-D DDO. I opened the last roll and got a big surprise:

27JUN08_Barber_Half.jpg


My first Barber half!!!!! Here is a picture of my 2 day total

27JUN08_Total.jpg


Finding the Barber got me motivated so I did a mini road trip. I got $66.50 in a counting machine bag and another $450 in rolls from another bank. I have to take some halves to 2 banks to fill bags tomorrow. I've already had good results from the little I've looked through and will post the results after I go through them all.
 
Upvote 0
Nice, great find. WAAAAAAAAAAa, I WANT A BARBIE :P
 
Incredible box. $26.40 to ship. Wow your bank done good for you. At first sight you got to have figured it to be a dump. Never turn down a box. "Leave no stone unturned"

Nice Barber. You wont find many of those. I have only found 4 in the wild. 2 cold calling and 2 in boxes. 3 years and 2.3 million Halves searched.

Congratulations. :thumbsup:

Mojo
 
I think the most likely scenario with this box is that someone shipped it to their bank to deposit it. At which point it was sold to the armored carrier who then sold it to OP's bank.

Occam's Razor
 
WTG Fropa!!! Congrats on your first Barber. I know that was exciting for you. It is also an energizer too....ha!

When I found my first one I just stared at it for a few minutes.....lol.

Again.....kudos to you! That deserves a rolling WAHOOOO.

WAHOOOOOO
 
Darn Nice!
Still looking for my first Barber half!
 
Nice find! I haven't found a Barberyet either but I only get 1 or 2 boxes a week. Odds are slim. Congrats!
 
I doubt that one bank mailed the 1/2s to another. I suspect it was a box that held documents, and was recycled to hold halfs in branch.
 
legacypac said:
I doubt that one bank mailed the 1/2s to another. I suspect it was a box that held documents, and was recycled to hold halfs in branch.

That wouldn't coincide with the registered mail postage. If there were only documents in the box, registered mail postage would have been $10 to $12.
 
Thanks everybody. It is a rush to find your first Barber. It definitely sparked me to do a short road trip to see what else I might find.

The box is a mystery. The teller who picks up my boxes at the main branch wasn't sure about it either. The mailing label was from M&I to my bank so I'm sure it was mailed from bank to bank. The box was mailed 2 days before I picked it up so was probably delivered the day before.
 
Fropa said:
Thanks everybody. It is a rush to find your first Barber. It definitely sparked me to do a short road trip to see what else I might find.

The box is a mystery. The teller who picks up my boxes at the main branch wasn't sure about it either. The mailing label was from M&I to my bank so I'm sure it was mailed from bank to bank. The box was mailed 2 days before I picked it up so was probably delivered the day before.

If it was mailed bank to bank, then the result was probably a bank with $500 in halves that REALLY wanted to get them out of their vault, but didn't have the necessary $1000 to ship properly. Probably someone from the Armored Car Service gave your bank's info to them and let them ship them directly. It was probably handled by someone higher up in the bank who didn't care as long as he wasn't charged and he had a customer who picked them up regularly.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom