worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I wondered why they gnawed on them till I snapped a branch tip and gave it a whiff...instantly I was transported back to 1962 when Old Mr.D said "here,take a chew"..and that is exactly what I did.:laughing7:

These three trees are about five feet apart,I'd say they've been gnawed on for a few years.

DSCN2076.JPG
K1600_DSCN2075.JPG
DSCN2072.JPG

Spied another lure,it's well out of reach,now time for my grappling hook..sure hope someone else doesn't get the same idea:laughing7:

K1600_DSCN2058.JPG

This little guy was singing away.

DSCN2089.JPG

Weeds on a fence,in case you city slickers didn't know.

DSCN2093.JPG

I always thought they shoulda called them Johnny Jump Outs,cause they sure jump out at ya.:laughing7:

K1600_DSCN2056.JPG

Catawba Flowers.

DSCN2096.JPG

Squab:tongue3:

DSCN2085.JPG

GOD Bless

Chris

Last edited:

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I like Birch beer. Ever had that?:occasion14:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
I've never seen Black Birch in person, but I "have" seen similar gnaw markings on trees. Oftentimes, rabbits will gnaw on trees, usually in winter when the snow covers the ground.

Heard a story a few years back about some trees (can't remember where) that were like that up around the 12' level. Nobody could figure it out, as that's much higher than even the deer can reach. Come to find out, when the snow would drift in so deep, rabbits (or maybe hares) would come in and grab a snack until the snows went away.

Am thinking they had put up one of the early game cameras in order to solve the mystery.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Sorry Chris - am so tired from today that I didn't even comment on the other junk pics you took. Yep, I couldn't stand to look at them for more than...maybe, 12 hours of so! Just terrible! :laughing7:

Can't make up my mind whether my favorite is the birdhouse or the fence. ALL of them are awesome, as usual! :notworthy:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I've never seen Black Birch in person, but I "have" seen similar gnaw markings on trees. Oftentimes, rabbits will gnaw on trees, usually in winter when the snow covers the ground.

Heard a story a few years back about some trees (can't remember where) that were like that up around the 12' level. Nobody could figure it out, as that's much higher than even the deer can reach. Come to find out, when the snow would drift in so deep, rabbits (or maybe hares) would come in and grab a snack until the snows went away.

Am thinking they had put up one of the early game cameras in order to solve the mystery.

Mice and rabbits girdle trees ...looks odd when snow melts seeing how high some are for sure.
Deer ,lacking upper front teeth , browse twigs in winter , and when hard pressed for food chew off up to about pencil diameter limbs.
Tracks in snow when sites are accessible tell a tale too.

ronwoodcraft

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2007
Idaho

Sounds like a porcupine. They climb tree's and eat bark and branches.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sounds like a porcupine. They climb tree's and eat bark and branches.

Yep! It is hard to tell sometimes if a porcupine has torn up a dead tree or a bear looking for termites around here.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread