What's new

Black, blue and very happy

Out Of Time

Sr. Member
Joined
Apr 10, 2019
Messages
326
Reaction score
879
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Black and blue are the bruises I earned lugging this beautiful artifact back home.

Very happy to have found it.

20190512_163639.webp

This type of mortar is inset into the floor and used with a hopper basket.

20190513_161215.webp

I think it's a wonderful example.

20190513_161230.webp


Found in a creek bed in northern California.

Just wanted to share.
 
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Also found a nice scraper...

20190513_145431.webp

20190513_145442.webp

...and a interesting little point.

20190513_145350.webp

20190513_145405.webp

Can anybody help me type it?

Thanks.
 
Similar to ones we find around my area. That is a good one.
 
I'm in east Napa County, Ca.

Acorns were key to the culture here.

Old timers remember when these little valleys were littered with mortars but I guess they collected them all.

I doubt there are many left to find , at least out in the open, like this one was.

I've found two.

The first one (also found in a creek) is the bowl type and I wasn't certain that it actually is an artifact until I found this new one.

Initially I wasn't sure because the hole on the boulder (bowl type) is not fully developed.

Now I think it was abandoned before getting much use.

Even though the hopper mortar has a nice deep hole, it compares nicely with the other and I feel confident that the bowl is legit.

So, in a way, I got two for the price of one.

That's pretty great.
 
Last edited:
I do have a question that perhaps someone more knowledgable than me can answer.

Is it the case, that when manufacturing a mortar, the hole would be pecked out as a preliminary step before grinding?

I ask because the bowl mortar shows the remanent of peck marks.

I think they would peck out the hole as a guide and to encourage initial penetration of the grinding step.

Could that be true?
 
Last edited:
those points look pretty surf tossed...what was the circumstances of where they were found? the second one looks like a side notch with ill defined notches, I have found a few like that.
 
those points look pretty surf tossed...what was the circumstances of where they were found? the second one looks like a side notch with ill defined notches, I have found a few like that.

Both the obsidian pieces were found in a gravel, sand and stone creek bed. Less than 10 miles from source.

So it hasn't travelled too far, if at all.

Much, though not all, of what I find there is very worn.


The first pictures are of what I see as a quasi turtle-back scraper.

The point is what I need help with.

Not sure if it's lost it's base or if it never had one.

It's not a type I've found before.
 
Here's a picture of the bowl mortar.

It's raining today so the stone is wet.

Hope you can see the hint of peck marks.

Not great photography.

20190516_085435.webp

20190516_085431.webp
 
Great find. I would have lugged that one a country mile to have it in my home.
 
My sentiments exactly.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom